7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Engine Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MattKelly1991 is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Swap Questions

Hello, I want to eventually do a engine swap on my 2002 Honda civic Lx. I was wondering what are my different options of engines that will fit, and what are the pros/cons of each. From what I understand, it's between a B20, K20, and K24. If there are other options, please let me know as well, and also fill me in on the Pros and Cons of the B20, K20, and K24. Thank you.
Old 04-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Engine Swap Questions

The b20 is illegal to swap into a 7th gen, just about any Honda engine will fit it's just a matter of budget and legality.

Being practical, the only engines you can swap into a 7th gen are the k-series, k20 or k24. There are more than 20 k20/24 engine options not including frankenstein builds. Those engines range in value from $300 for a k24a1 or k24a4 to $15000+ for a Spoon k20a, until you narrow your budget and do some research it's impossible to help you.
Old 04-18-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
The b20 is illegal to swap into a 7th gen, just about any Honda engine will fit it's just a matter of budget and legality.

Being practical, the only engines you can swap into a 7th gen are the k-series, k20 or k24. There are more than 20 k20/24 engine options not including frankenstein builds. Those engines range in value from $300 for a k24a1 or k24a4 to $15000+ for a Spoon k20a, until you narrow your budget and do some research it's impossible to help you.
No no. That actually did help. It cancelled one out, which is nice. Given lets say a 3000 Dollar Budget for parts alone. What would give me the most bang for my buck?
Old 04-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

$3000 budget for the engine alone or all the parts you need to complete the swap?
Old 04-18-2011
Registered!!

The engine alone I think is a more realistic question.
Old 04-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

The engine alone is not an option, like you should have seen in the link I gave you in your last thread there are parts necessary to k-swap other than just the engine. I'll make this simple, if you don't have a minimum of $5k then a k-swap is not possible, if you want options other than just a base engine then you'll need a minimum of $6k and thats without any labour.
Old 04-18-2011
Registered!!

No, I know that. I meant 3k for the engine alone. Not I'm only getting the engine. =P I know I have to get a crap load of extra stuff for it to work in my car.
Old 04-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

WTF are you talking about?!? you post a 1200 engine and now talking about 3k on engine alone? And MB just said you need at the least 5k to complete the process. Are you high enough that you don't understand what others are telling you?
And stop creating thread after thread on the swap section. your threads are not really worth creating more of them.
Old 04-18-2011
Registered!!

Dude, whoa. Chill. Okay. Obviously I'm talking in riddles, so let me simplify it for you.

I found an engine for $1,250 on Ebay. The engine comes with:

JDM K20A ENGINE
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
WIRING HARNESS
ECU
EXHAUST MANIFOLD
INTAKE MANIFOLD
POWER STEERING
AC COMPRESSOR
ALTERNATOR
DISTRIBUTOR
STARTER
INJECTORS
FUEL RAIL

My main question is: What other options on engines are there that are under 3,000?

Okay This one is $1,250 if that helps you. So I want to know what other ones there are that are under $3,000. I also want to know what the difference in price is giving me. If it is the difference of a 180HP engine to a 220HP engine, ect...

Sorry if it is hard to understand what I'm asking. The reason I made a new thread is because I wanted to get a feel for what my options are for engines. Not everyone is born with knowledge of Honda Civic engines; and I figured the best place to ask might be the civic forum. I didn't mean to offend you.
Old 04-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

do not post questions on the links i am posting -they are for reference, so for your reading. after reading, come back in this thread for questions if any are left:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...er-models.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ine-codes.html
Old 04-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by MattKelly1991
No, I know that. I meant 3k for the engine alone. Not I'm only getting the engine. =P I know I have to get a crap load of extra stuff for it to work in my car.
That puts a few engines in your budget.

K24a2, k20a2, k20z1 or a k20z3. The Z3 and Z1 are the most technically advanced engines, they respond well to bolt ons and they can be had with relatively low miles for around $3000. The k24a2 has the highest displacement and most torque of the options, it's heavier so that's a factor. The k20a2 is the most affordable, it's basically the 1st gen of the z1 and z3, with some luck you might actually be able to find it with a transmission for your budget.

Research and you'll find plenty of information.
Old 04-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

after you see the specs of engines in MB's suggestions above, run a search in craig list, EBAY, etc.
you can also try to see if you find something in scrap yards, who knows? Some lucked out in there
http://www.car-part.com/
Old 04-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

JDM K20A ENGINE
DISTRIBUTOR
?!?
Distributor?!?
Old 04-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Dude, whoa. Chill. Okay. Obviously I'm talking in riddles, so let me simplify it for you.

I found an engine for $1,250 on Ebay. The engine comes with:

JDM K20A ENGINE
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
WIRING HARNESS
ECU
EXHAUST MANIFOLD
INTAKE MANIFOLD
POWER STEERING
AC COMPRESSOR
ALTERNATOR
DISTRIBUTOR
STARTER
INJECTORS
FUEL RAIL

My main question is: What other options on engines are there that are under 3,000?

Okay This one is $1,250 if that helps you. So I want to know what other ones there are that are under $3,000. I also want to know what the difference in price is giving me. If it is the difference of a 180HP engine to a 220HP engine, ect...

Sorry if it is hard to understand what I'm asking. The reason I made a new thread is because I wanted to get a feel for what my options are for engines. Not everyone is born with knowledge of Honda Civic engines; and I figured the best place to ask might be the civic forum. I didn't mean to offend you.
The issue isn't that your asking questions, it's that trying to help someone who doesn't help themselves is pointless. You don't need to understand the difference in the different k-series valve trains without some assistance, but something as simple as the cost of engines anyone can learn without help.
Old 04-18-2011
Registered!!

2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough

i know this thread is pretty much pointless to post in but to the OP the reason people get mad at these questions is because google is free to use and if you dont know the basics about honda engines, nobody knows where to begin to help you. One search in google about K swaps and there is bound to be pages of people doing k swaps. Read those first and you can figure out which engine suits you best. and thats the nicest way anybody on any forums is gonna tell you.

one more thing. dont look for engines on ebay. you can find k's on craigslist nowadays.
Old 04-19-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 2005civiclx
i know this thread is pretty much pointless to post in but to the OP the reason people get mad at these questions is because google is free to use and if you dont know the basics about honda engines, nobody knows where to begin to help you. One search in google about K swaps and there is bound to be pages of people doing k swaps. Read those first and you can figure out which engine suits you best. and thats the nicest way anybody on any forums is gonna tell you.

one more thing. dont look for engines on ebay. you can find k's on craigslist nowadays.
I am an advent googler, the problem is sorting through the crap takes longer than hand building an engine. At least in my experience with this subject.
Old 04-19-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

use lots of keywords to narrow down the searches more.
Old 04-19-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
That puts a few engines in your budget.

K24a2, k20a2, k20z1 or a k20z3. The Z3 and Z1 are the most technically advanced engines, they respond well to bolt ons and they can be had with relatively low miles for around $3000. The k24a2 has the highest displacement and most torque of the options, it's heavier so that's a factor. The k20a2 is the most affordable, it's basically the 1st gen of the z1 and z3, with some luck you might actually be able to find it with a transmission for your budget.

Research and you'll find plenty of information.
Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for; different options and pros/cons. Time to get researching. I'll let you guys know if I have anymore questions on this particular thread. Thank you everyone!
Old 04-19-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
?!?
Distributor?!?
Wow, I just read that. WTH? I'm pretty sure that is wrong.
Old 04-19-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

^yeah, that seller already lost some points with that... I would go careful
Old 04-19-2011
Registered!!

7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point

If thats from an auction (engine you post) it might be a generic post by the seller. Those sellers post dozens of engines, and probably just cut+paste text without editing it in detail. I would only get one from a reputable dealer, look at the sellers post history and see if he is reliable.

I think the OP was hoping somebody here who has done a K,B-swap and had immediate knowledge on what exactly is the total expense for it.
Old 04-19-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by 7genmarathon
If thats from an auction (engine you post) it might be a generic post by the seller. Those sellers post dozens of engines, and probably just cut+paste text without editing it in detail. I would only get one from a reputable dealer, look at the sellers post history and see if he is reliable.

I think the OP was hoping somebody here who has done a K,B-swap and had immediate knowledge on what exactly is the total expense for it.
The only thing that makes a dealer reputable is quality engines, as long as the compression and leak down tests show good results then it doesn't matter if your buying it from a shop or craigslist. I definitely wouldn't buy an engine off ebay, JDM engine importers are a sketchy bunch.

That's exactly what the OP got, I know exactly what a k-swap costs and that a b-swap is impossible, I'm not sure what your trying to say
Old 04-19-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

well, the price is a lucky sort of thing... see the "craiglist found" thread. search enough and you have a ball park, so don't see much meaning on asking that... Some luck out on the scrap yards as well.

LeMons and 20xx challenge cars are living proof

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/art...ts-just-metal/
http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-19-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

People always make scrap yards seem like bad options for buying an engine, but I think they're great and know a few people with k-series engines that purchased them from yards. They're just as affordable or less expensive than the JDM importers, you can find low mile engines, you have a better idea how long it's been sitting, you can look at the overall condition of the car for clues to how well the engine was treated, save cash by pulling it yourself...
Old 04-19-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

especially if you have a running engine and you can afford to dismantle it and re-assemble at your leisure (recommended in ANY engine that you buy used, actually).
Many put it in the car just to find out something spins out...

Heck, there are what, 5 or 7 just this week with troubles just after a swap?
Old 04-19-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
especially if you have a running engine and you can afford to dismantle it and re-assemble at your leisure (recommended in ANY engine that you buy used, actually).
Many put it in the car just to find out something spins out...

Heck, there are what, 5 or 7 just this week with troubles just after a swap?
There are 5 or 7 every week who swapped their engine themselves, now they're car won't start and they come here looking for advice. I always have the urge to ask what how much experience they actually have working on vehicles lol.
Old 04-19-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

oh, yeh, but it's still tuesday
Old 04-19-2011
Registered!!

I messaged the seller. Still no reply. Lol. Guys a joker probably.
Old 04-20-2011
Registered!!

What I've found so far:

K20Z3 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...#ht_720wt_1165

K20A2 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...#ht_1235wt_939

I'll keep looking. What do you guys think of these so far?
Old 04-20-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Being completely serious, I would consider craigslist a better resource than ebay for an engine. Unless your buying from someone with a good reputation in the tuning world, specifically, whose past customers you can actually talk to don't buy online. It's critical that you can be told when and why the engine was pulled, the results of the compression and leak down tests and be given the vin.

Call up a couple scrap yards, I bet you could get a k20z3 from a smaller one that wants to move inventory quickly for $3000 and see it running. Mention that you need the RSX parts and the transmission too, and that you'd buy it all from them for the right price you'll get the best price possible.

The only time I would consider buying from a online JDM seller is if I wanted a k20a.

What I've found so far:

K20Z3 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...#ht_720wt_1165

K20A2 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...#ht_1235wt_939

I'll keep looking. What do you guys think of these so far?

Quick Reply: Engine Swap Questions