7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil. Does it really matter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Oil. Does it really matter?

^I've never examined a spectre filter in person, but I imagine it would be much worse quality than even a K&N filter. I'd suggest you order a good quality filter right away, to be honest, I would try to find one at a tuning shop to minimize the time your using it.
Old 04-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thefatalepic is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, the severity just jumped up a few notches, lol.

The only bad thing is.. I'm on a budget so it's unfortunately going to have to wait a bit, but I'll start looking into other filters and hopefully next week change it out. Whatever damage has probably been done already since when I bought the car it had the Spectre on it already. No intake, just the filter.. Lol.
Old 04-16-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thefatalepic
Wow, the severity just jumped up a few notches, lol.

The only bad thing is.. I'm on a budget so it's unfortunately going to have to wait a bit, but I'll start looking into other filters and hopefully next week change it out. Whatever damage has probably been done already since when I bought the car it had the Spectre on it already. No intake, just the filter.. Lol.
In that case I'd consider cleaning out your intake, IACV and throttle body once you can afford to upgrade the filter. These are the filters you want:

http://www.weapon-r.com/index.php?ac...at=34&trim=749
Old 04-16-2011
Registered!!

Ignore the man behind the, err, this post.

Last edited by thefatalepic; 04-16-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-16-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
In that case I'd consider cleaning out your intake, IACV and throttle body once you can afford to upgrade the filter. These are the filters you want:

http://www.weapon-r.com/index.php?ac...at=34&trim=749
Alright, I do want the Secret Weapon intake from Weapon-R so I guess I'm slowly headed in the right direction :P.

I was hoping that there was some inexpensive temporary solution but I guess you get what you pay for. (And it seems that I'm currently running with the inexpensive temporary solution using the no-name w/ Spectre)
Old 04-16-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

The entire intake is pretty expensive, but the filter by itself isn't to bad.
Old 04-16-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
The entire intake is pretty expensive, but the filter by itself isn't to bad.
True, true.. but the entire intake looks so effin sweet though

On the official site it's $255 but at weaponspeed.com it's $221 with free shipping. (weaponspeed says it's 20lbs but I'm assuming they threw in an extra '0' in there.)

weaponspeed

weapon-r official

The pics look very different - but I am assuming both are stock photos and not my particular model.
Old 04-16-2011
Registered!!

Too Tall will become famous soon enoughToo Tall will become famous soon enough

If you hold a K&N filter up to light, you can see the holes in it. Next time you a few weeks without washing your car, slide your finger across the paint. The dirt on your finger is what goes straight through the holes in the K&N filter.

Hold up your Specter filter to a bright light, if you cannot see light through any holes, you are OK.

Here as easy and cheap fix. Buy a home air conditioner filter. Get the high efficiency kind, sort of like white paper. Cut the filter open and wrap several layers of the home filter over your existing car filter.

I did this as an experiment a long time ago. I was rather surprised how many outer layers the dirt went through until the inner layers stayed clean and white.

Obviously, you need to make sure to not add so many layers the air flow is choked off. I don't remember how many I used.
Old 04-16-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the great thing about the WR SW1 is the design. it outflows a K&N and an open pipe with no filter on it. and it traps dirt better than paper. all thanks to the dual velocity stacks and thick cell foam.
Old 04-18-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
the great thing about the WR SW1 is the design. it outflows a K&N and an open pipe with no filter on it. and it traps dirt better than paper. all thanks to the dual velocity stacks and thick cell foam.
This is what sold me. I was a bet skeptical at first but I'm assuming they work. Reminds me of airplane wings and how their shape is important to air velocity or something.