7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

how to drive manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alkamist7 has a spectacular aura aboutAlkamist7 has a spectacular aura aboutAlkamist7 has a spectacular aura about
how to drive manual

i just got my license past nov. 2010 i baught my first car with a permitt sept.2010, 05 civic auto never really drove before so i had to practice in my own car illegaly with just a permitt lmao but now i want to learn manual what is a good way to learn or practice if i could convince a friend could i fukc his tranny up . im prob gonna get clowned lol
Old 04-04-2011
Registered!!

2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough
Re: how to drive manual

the way i learned was my dad gave me the keys to his project car he was building and said go, and thats basically how i learned. you just cant be afraid and dont be intimidated. if you mess up its not gonna be that big of a deal. just dont ride the clutch and try not to scratch when you shift.
Old 04-04-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Visit www.standardshift.com
I'm a member there and they have a really helpful handful of members. My Si is my first manual and they were of a great help to me. A few words of advice to add to the above poster. Once the car starts to move, you aren't done with the clutch. You have to either slow down clutch release or pause for a brief moment. Practice no gas launching to familiarize yourself with your cars friction zone. That basically means where the clutch begins to "hook up" and transfer torque to the drive wheels. Stalling happens. Find a vacant parking lot and have at it.

Last edited by MelJ; 04-04-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-04-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

The way I learned, is that my friend bought a manual car, I watched him drive for a while, then he left for the air force, and i just grew a pair and took it out for a spin, stalled once and the rest was history
Old 04-04-2011
Person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

My friend got a Hyundai Accent for free. We burned that up and then he sold it lol problem??
Old 04-04-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Lol. My friend brought my Si to my job after he took care of the registration for me. I was fine until I got to my first light. There has never been a line of cars at this light. Well, apparently it was my lucky day. I stalled like 5 times and there was a sea of horns blaring at me. Lol. Good times. Good times. Hondas are pretty easy to learn stick on.
Old 04-04-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MelJ
Lol. My friend brought my Si to my job after he took care of the registration for me. I was fine until I got to my first light. There has never been a line of cars at this light. Well, apparently it was my lucky day. I stalled like 5 times and there was a sea of horns blaring at me. Lol. Good times. Good times. Hondas are pretty easy to learn stick on.
Hahahaha, kind of same thing happened to me
The only reason I stalled my 1 time, was because someone did a rolling stop at his stop sign, and I panicked. Slammed on the brakes in 3rd gear, to a dead stop, and engine turned off :P

Good times good times
Oh, I might add that my first experience with a stickshift was with a turbo charged 1st gen MX5. I had a blast with that thing
Old 04-04-2011
Registered!!

shwoogie420 is an unknown quantity at this point

the hardest thing is to get going...once you get going it is much easier...the way that i learned was first and reverse in the driveway until i could do it without stalling...then just jumped on the road...
Old 04-04-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Oh, I might add that my first experience with a stickshift was with a turbo charged 1st gen MX5. I had a blast with that thing
oh, gooood...
they are powerful and light in the rear... wish my miata had that power...
I learned with a beetle, rear engine, rear drive - they rarely stall, they jump...
I also remember my first hill on a FWD with a 44 single webber VW - it had 1/4 an inch useful throttle until you get up to 6kRPM (red was at 8500, but no rev limiter - old cars - died from a overrev...)

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-04-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-04-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shwoogie420
the hardest thing is to get going...once you get going it is much easier...the way that i learned was first and reverse in the driveway until i could do it without stalling...then just jumped on the road...
did the OBX fit your car, BTW? since it relates to launching? g'luck with the turbo rebuild, BTW.
Old 04-04-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
did the OBX fit your car, BTW? since it relates to launching? g'luck with the turbo rebuild, BTW.
OBX are you talking about my turbo manifold??? yea i bought another rebuild kit(a better one and it should be here at the end of the week hopefully
Old 04-04-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

non, non, your LSD (limited slip diff - spelled, so no one misunderstands ). g'luck with the turbo!
Old 04-04-2011
Kenny the Ricer

oh, gooood...
they are powerful and light in the rear... wish my miata had that power...
I learned with a beetle, rear engine, rear drive - they rarely stall, they jump...
I also remember my first hill on a FWD with a 44 single webber VW - it had 1/4 an inch useful throttle until you get up to 6kRPM (red was at 8500, but no rev limiter - old cars - died from a overrev...)
Lol, this thing was a beast, and a nightmare
Never had it properly dynoed, but I know that it was prolly around, or more than 200bhp
Faster than the vic no doubt :3
Old 04-04-2011
Registered!!

non, non, your LSD (limited slip diff). g'luck with the turbo!
lol my bad forgot about that....haven't done anything...its sitting in the box about 5ft away from me now....ran into other issues like the turbo and the intake manifold hopefully everything goes good with the turbo and got to change my 2.5" downpipe to 3" to match the exhaust then on to the lsd
Old 04-04-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

there is the flyin' miata v-8 kit or the V-12 jaguar swap - yes, they are for real...

to alkamist7, just remember that each car have the engaging point of the clutch slightly different and train your shifting with engine off - recently there was another one that did shift 3rd to 2nd and it was not pretty... still wonder how a straight line shift went sideways, though... I had that on the 73 VW bus, but there was at the least 10 feet from the shifter to the trans, which gives a lot of play, so hard to know between straight and sideways...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-04-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-04-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by shwoogie420
lol my bad forgot about that....haven't done anything...its sitting in the box about 5ft away from me now....ran into other issues like the turbo and the intake manifold hopefully everything goes good with the turbo and got to change my 2.5" downpipe to 3" to match the exhaust then on to the lsd
then g'luck with the turbo and then g'luck with the LSD afterwards they are not easy tasks... as you know well too.
Old 04-04-2011
Kenny the Ricer

I think the most popular are monster miata, and LS1 swaps

I'd def rock a LS1 Miata sleeper, stock exterior
Old 04-04-2011
Registered!!

then g'luck with the turbo and then g'luck with the LSD afterwards they are not easy tasks... as you know well too.
yea pretty much everything i have done to my car has sucked(bad luck) but got to learn some way
Old 04-04-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
I think the most popular are monster miata, and LS1 swaps

I'd def rock a LS1 Miata sleeper, stock exterior
they are a handful, for sure, steering corrections in straight line... shifts the weight 50lb to the front? softer springs in the rear to compensate? but still have slower lauch than a 2.3 liter beetle (imagine a porsche...)
but i guess the FWD are trickier to get traction after all... never matched the miata lauch with the civic, no matter how much grippier tires i had... and with corrected front camber...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-04-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-04-2011
Registered!!

Alkamist7 has a spectacular aura aboutAlkamist7 has a spectacular aura aboutAlkamist7 has a spectacular aura about

there is the flyin' miata v-8 kit or the V-12 jaguar swap - yes, they are for real...

to alkamist7, just remember that each car have the engaging point of the clutch slightly different and train your shifting with engine off - recently there was another one that did shift 3rd to 2nd and it was not pretty... still wonder how a straight line shift went sideways, though... I had that on the 73 VW bus, but there was at the least 10 feet from the shifter to the trans, which gives a lot of play, so hard to know between straight and sideways...
so you mean i can shift through the gears with the engine off? will the stick move with out the proper foot work? do you take foot all the way off the gas when hitting clutch or just give a little gas when hitting clutch? so when you in third and your slowing down do you have to go 3-2-1 or can u go 3-1??
it would be hard for me i live in a city a lot of stop signs and lights

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR THE INPUT
Old 04-04-2011
Registered!!

2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough

when your in third or any other gear and your slowing down you can just put it in neutral and press the brakes or you can downshift either way it doesnt matter and just putting it in neutral is way easier.

once you start driving you'll learn the feel of the car. like i said dont ride the clutch, just try to make each shift as smooth as possible. at first you'll be dumping the clutch but dont worry about it just try to get better with each and every shift.
Old 04-04-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

Just look up everything. I watched youtube vids then when i bought my car i didn't know manual. My dad came in the car and was like "go". So i went. It took me like about a week but i'm used to it now and driving an automatic is just weird to me lol. As long as you know what the clutch does, where the different gears are, and what you should avoid doing ... it's pretty simple :P
Old 04-04-2011
Registered!!

im gonna call some driving schools to see if they do lessons on manual. i want an si coupe sooo baad or a k-swap in my sedan that would b crazy who would expect a K in a sedan lol......someday...
Old 04-05-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by Alkamist7
so you mean i can shift through the gears with the engine off? will the stick move with out the proper foot work?
Yeah, if engine is off, you step the clutch and you would normally while changing to each gear - yes you can change the gears - no damage done. Preferrably do it after a short drive, so the gears and synchros are lubbed well.

do you take foot all the way off the gas when hitting clutch or just give a little gas when hitting clutch?
shifting up or down? Also, it's not when hitting the clutch, but when releasing - depend on the conditions.
so when you in third and your slowing down do you have to go 3-2-1 or can u go 3-1??
If the speed is adequate to the gearing, no harm done - check manual for the speeds adequate to each gearing, though - if you shift 2nd at 70 MPH many things could fly out from under your hood - this is a no-no.
Old 04-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

the best way to learn is in somebody else's car lol. i learned to drive standerd at a toyota dealer i worked for i told them i didn't know how so they gave me a brand new FJ cruiser and told me to learn quickly.

Last edited by lowlife9; 04-05-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-06-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sit down and go... it's the only way to learn After a few dozen stalls youll figure out just how sensative that clutch pedal is, and how slow you need to release off of it at the important point. After a month or so you will be shifting so fast you won't even know your doing it
Old 04-06-2011
Trance Addict

I got thrown to the sharks, too. My friend was pretty much there for any questions I had. After sitting in the car with someone who drives manual for a while, you kinda pick things up without even knowing it. I seriously think the only thing he helped me with were hill launches. Plus the fact that the Si was the only source of transportation I now had was a pretty big motivator. I wouldn't really worry about destroying the tranny in one session. As long as you fully floor the clutch when shifting, you'll be good. That's a habit I've seen many people not do. It really isn't that great for the synchros in the long run.
Old 04-06-2011
Registered!!

BrokeLX is an unknown quantity at this point

1. Learn how to double clutch. You don't want to get made fun of for granny shifting.

2. At stop lights make sure to rock back and forth so people know you are in a manual.

3. Always rev to 5-5.5k rpm while stopped and in first, then dump the clutch.

4. Rev match every downshift.

5. In Parking Garages, Tunnels, and any other enclosed space, make sure to blip the throttle... a lot.

6. Save your brake pads and engine brake as much as possible.

7. Redline: It is there for a reason. Hit it before shifting.

8. Refer to Automatic Transmissions as "Slush Boxes" even when speaking of an Enzo or Veyron.

9. LED shift ***** are your friend. You will never mis-shift at a night race.

10. Do left legged pistol squats everyday. This will help you in stop and go traffic.

Follow those 10 rules and you are good to go my friend.
Old 04-06-2011
Trance Addict

Old 04-06-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrokeLX

2. At stop lights make sure to rock back and forth so people know you are in a manual.
wwooww so thats why everyone thaught i already had a manual lmao

Quick Reply: how to drive manual