7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Timing Belt + General Maint Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Timing Belt + General Maint Questions

my 05 civic has 200,000 kilometers on it....it runs perfect and is mainly driven by my wife so it is driven easily and not abused in any way....

i keep it very well maintained on my own....the timing belt was done last at 104,000 so im due for a timing belt replacement again i assume....im wondering what else i should have done at the same time?....should i be replacing the timing belt tensioner or water pump or both?

i have done timing belts in the past on my own but this one looks very complicated compared to others i have done....so i will probably just take it to a local shop....any other advice?
Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
luc_who is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Timing Belt + General Maint Questions

Originally Posted by mikey1
my 05 civic has 200,000 kilometers on it....it runs perfect and is mainly driven by my wife so it is driven easily and not abused in any way....

i keep it very well maintained on my own....the timing belt was done last at 104,000 so im due for a timing belt replacement again i assume....im wondering what else i should have done at the same time?....should i be replacing the timing belt tensioner or water pump or both?

i have done timing belts in the past on my own but this one looks very complicated compared to others i have done....so i will probably just take it to a local shop....any other advice?
Hey this is my first civic but I have had 3 accords, I always did the tensioners and water pump at the second replacement. I would only do them at 100K if they were needed.
Old 03-24-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Timing belt, water pump, tensioner, crank + cam seals should just about cover all the majors.. Oh yes at that mileage I would also look into replacing the crankshaft pulley.
Old 03-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tbohar
Timing belt, water pump, tensioner, crank + cam seals should just about cover all the majors.. Oh yes at that mileage I would also look into replacing the crankshaft pulley.
+1

The water pump and tensioner are preventative measures, they might last for two changes, but they might not and it's a pain changing them so do it when your already down there.
Old 03-24-2011
TRUST me! I'm Idiot Proof!

BobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura about

I say change/replace everything you can afford...MTF, oil, plugs, plug seals, crank seal, (cam seal's tricky imo), all belts, tensioner, water pump, valve cover gasket...hmm what else..

Anyway, study first THIS DIY on a timing belt change. Then follow it and nike that ****! If you run into trouble, you know where to find help...
Old 03-24-2011
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BobDobolina
I say change/replace everything you can afford...MTF, oil, plugs, plug seals, crank seal, (cam seal's tricky imo), all belts, tensioner, water pump, valve cover gasket...hmm what else..

Anyway, study first THIS DIY on a timing belt change. Then follow it and nike that ****! If you run into trouble, you know where to find help...
thanks for the info....the only part of the job i feel uncomfortable with is removing the crank pulley....all of the rest would be fairly easy work for me....i used to work at a shop....all the fluids are fine i change them on a regular basis....as i said the car is very well maintained....i am the type of guy who likes to do everything myself if i can....even oil changes....im getting nervous about it because i know the damage that a broken belt does....
Old 03-24-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

The crank pulley is intimidating. If you know what your getting yourself into you shouldnt have a problem
Old 03-25-2011
Registered!!

i have been reading a bit more and it seems honda recommends timing belt every 90,000 miles is this true?....i thought it was 60,000 miles?....i have about 60,000 miles on the belt now....can i leave it longer?
Old 03-25-2011
Registered!!

RemyL31 will become famous soon enough

i have been reading a bit more and it seems honda recommends timing belt every 90,000 miles is this true?....i thought it was 60,000 miles?....i have about 60,000 miles on the belt now....can i leave it longer?
There are mileage differences for different climates and driving conditions

If you think your conditions are more Harsh, then inspect it, change if needed at 60k

Last edited by RemyL31; 03-25-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-25-2011
Whachya lookin at?

7th gen civics are 100k according to the manual. I'd wait until it was due, I pulled mine at 140k and it looked brand new... I'm not guaranteeing yours will too though.
Old 03-25-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
7th gen civics are 100k according to the manual. I'd wait until it was due, I pulled mine at 140k and it looked brand new... I'm not guaranteeing yours will too though.
are you saying 100k miles or kilometers?

also....when removing the crank pulley bolt can you not just put the car in gear and get somebody to hold the brakes on?....wont that stop the crank from turning?

what size socket is needed for the pulley bolt?

Last edited by mikey1; 03-25-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2011
Registered!!

civic0427 is an unknown quantity at this point

are you saying 100k miles or kilometers?

also....when removing the crank pulley bolt can you not just put the car in gear and get somebody to hold the brakes on?....wont that stop the crank from turning?

what size socket is needed for the pulley bolt?
He is saying 100k miles. And there is a special tool required to remove the crank pulley. I made one lol. You might be able to bump the ignition just make sure you have it wedged properly so you don't damage anything and maybe pull the relay to the fuel pump so the car doesn't start.
Old 03-25-2011
Registered!!

RemyL31 will become famous soon enough

Do you have access to an air impact wrench?
Old 03-26-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Most air impact guns dont work on this bad boy... get the tool. DONT EVEN ATTEMPT THE JOB WITHOUT
Old 03-26-2011
Registered!!

thanks for all the help....i will buy the tool and i also thought about bringing it to a shop close by and having them loosen the nut and just tighten it up 50% or something to get me home....then i can remove it easier myself....

so my final question would be....how long should i expect (or how long would you guys think) i am safe to continue driving this car without timing belt, or tensioner, or water pump failure?

the timing belt was replaced at 60,000 miles and nothing else just the belt....i am now about 120,000 miles....i was going to do this job soon until i found out the belt lasts alot longer than i thought so i might leave it a bit longer if i can....i guess i changed it too soon last time....
Old 03-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

I recommend R2ing the timing belt water pump and tensioner. The crank pulleys don't go bad!

...Oh and the special too for removing the crank pulley is called a impact wrench! lol
Seriously you don't need any special tool for it.
Old 03-26-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen
I recommend R2ing the timing belt water pump and tensioner. The crank pulleys don't go bad!
are you saying you recommend this immediately? taking into consideration what i said in my last post??
Old 03-26-2011
Whachya lookin at?

I wouldnt run a harmonic balancer for a huge amount of miles. Also, how many times have you removed the crank pulley? The special tool is a MUST. Change the belt once it reaches 100 miles or whatever your manual says.

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen

...Oh and the special too for removing the crank pulley is called a impact wrench! lol
Seriously you don't need any special tool for it.
Old 03-26-2011
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

^I have changed 3 Honda timing belts using no special tools, just an impact wrench to get the crank pulley nut off and a torque wrench to put it back on. that is all that is needed for the crank pulley. If you want to go waste your money and time then go buy a special tool.

Mikey: You may not need to change it right away, but I would inspect it for cracking or separating at the very least. And if the manual says it's due then I would do it.
Old 03-27-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Ok.

Good luck getting that bolt off................ I hope you have access to a huge impact gun because MANY members on here have run into huge problems with that. Running out to the store to find a 30 dollar tool sucks royal *** especially when most places dont carry it. You want to have that in your hands before you even start the job... I mean sometimes they come off easy and sometimes they don't, for 30 bucks I'd rather be prepared.

The DIY (explain well why you need the tool):
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...t-diy-2-a.html

The Thought:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ey-holder.html

The Outcome:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ming-belt.html

More:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...-question.html

There are tons more, I just don`t feel like searching.

Last edited by BlueEM2; 03-27-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-27-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Two things

First, the only method approved by Honda to remove the crank bolt is a breaker bar with the special tool, thats even the method the techs who have access to 1000ft lbs impacts use.

Second, the average impact won't remove the crank bolt. The few members who aren't techs and actually have air tools or an electric impact will still be out of luck without the tool, because average 550ft lb impacts are nothing in this battle. typically a 1000ft lb++ impact is needed.
Old 03-27-2011
Registered!!

thanks for all the replies....

i didnt mean for this thread to be a battle over "the tool"....that really is not my question....if i choose to do this job myself then i WILL buy the tool and have it before i start the job....

my question right now is....how long should i wait....or how long can i wait before i change the belt, tensioner, and water pump?....keeping in mind what i said a few posts earlier....

the timing belt was replaced at 60,000 miles and nothing else just the belt....i am now about 120,000 miles....i was going to do this job soon until i found out the belt lasts alot longer than i thought so i might leave it a bit longer if i can....i guess i changed it too soon last time....
Old 03-27-2011

BobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura about

Like tbohar said, their good per the manual for 100k MILES...so your pump, tensioner, ect is 20k overdue.

AND...use the tool. I suppose locking the gear could work, but id rather not put that kinda stress on my tranny. Another method I ran across involved chaining the pulley to the frame...

IMHO, its a gamble either way. Wait, save money and risk major failure...possibly...OR...just get er done now and have peace of mind.

So stop dithering and get busy!!

PS: change the ALL the belts AGAIN...do NOT try to re-use one...for all the work involved it aint worth it.

Last edited by BobDobolina; 03-27-2011 at 09:47 AM. Reason: noticed something else
Old 03-27-2011
Registered!!

Like tbohar said, their good per the manual for 100k MILES...so your pump, tensioner, ect is 20k overdue.
this is not correct....the tensioner is only recommended every OTHER belt change so it should be good for about 180,000 miles
Old 03-27-2011

ehhh...whatever. Spin it around and if its loose and noisy, replace it. Its all just a guideline...Whens the last time you had a set of tires for the advertised ...oh idunno...60,000k mile tread life?? much shorter, huh?
Old 03-27-2011
Registered!!

ehhh...whatever. Spin it around and if its loose and noisy, replace it. Its all just a guideline...Whens the last time you had a set of tires for the advertised ...oh idunno...60,000k mile tread life?? much shorter, huh?
yes i agree with you about the tires....however you cant compare that to hondas maintanance schedules....i dont think a large reputable company like honda would mislead all of their customers with shabby info or every single person would be snapping their timing belt....
Old 03-27-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

every single person would be snapping their timing belt....
hehehe!
search around to see how many people just recently have had bent valves

Like Bobdobolina said, go get busy - enough mental masturbation. all the info have already been laid here

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-27-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
hehehe!
search around to see how many people just recently have had bent valves
yes i believe you....but those are probably people who let the belt go WAY PAST the recommended time to change it....you are missing my point....what im saying is honda would not recommend 90,000 miles if there was a good chance it would snap at 80,000....im sure they would make sure they cover themselves....
Old 03-27-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

yes i believe you....but those are probably people who let the belt go WAY PAST the recommended time to change it....you are missing my point....what im saying is honda would not recommend 90,000 miles if there was a good chance it would snap at 80,000....im sure they would make sure they cover themselves....
like auto trans fluid change recommendations?

TB is still good up to 110k, that is true.
water pump there were several that found it was pristine, but to do that job again, well, they just changed it anyway.

do you know that normal estimates are for 8 hour job?

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-27-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2011
Registered!!

7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point

^ I do.

An arm...Maybe even a leg...

Quick Reply: Timing Belt + General Maint Questions