7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Wheel / Tire Problem and Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civiccc2K1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wheel / Tire Problem and Questions...

So i was working at Sears and I had a conversation with the Auto Department Manager about possibly getting larger rims and tires. He said that the circumference of the new tire has to be the same as the old one so it won't mess up the transmission and the computer. So since my stocks have 185/70/14, does that mean in order for me to get 16 inch rims, does the 185 have to be the same? Can anyone please explain? I got a flat the other day, too close to the wall so it can't be filled. Had to get a cheap-o walmart tire for a temporary fix. I think nows the time for new wheels.
Old 03-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Wheel / Tire Problem and Questions...

... search? post #2
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...rket-rims.html

I will not write this explanation twice either...
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ire-width.html

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-16-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-16-2011
Registered!!

Haha, a link is pefectly fine, i don't need you to explain again.

EDIT: I know what the xxx/xx/xx means. Im just trying to figure out what the Sears guy meant. I told him I was getting them online, and he told me to get them at Sears because if I get the wrong size, that isn't the same circumference as the stock, I could mess things up. Can anyone justify?

And would [these rims] work?

Last edited by Civiccc2K1; 03-16-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

there are 2 links posted above. Post #2 in the first link, and i am writing this twice...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-16-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2011
Registered!!

So I did the calculator and it said that the circumference would be .4 difference, and it only shows that the speedometer will show slightly higher than what I'll be driving. Is that the only thing? Will it not mess anything up? RiceBoy said thats what his mechanic guy said but hes had no problems.
Old 03-16-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Civiccc2K1
So I did the calculator and it said that the circumference would be .4 difference, and it only shows that the speedometer will show slightly higher than what I'll be driving. Is that the only thing? Will it not mess anything up? RiceBoy said thats what his mechanic guy said but hes had no problems.
Larger rims won't do any damage, don't worry.

If they did, do you think you'd see so many cars driving around with rims in the summer?
Old 03-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

from another post - heck, MAX does not recommend them for they make the ride too harsh, but here:
Originally Posted by sdaidoji
look for Max's posts - they have some info.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...-they-fit.html

This is for a 6th gen, but Max posted some more info there as well.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...s-too-big.html
You can also go for a 205/55R16 (i use them for long years. I just need to convert the mileage since they throw off the odometer as well as the speedo).

edit: removed user test

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-16-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-16-2011
Registered!!

very true. so if i get a package off of DiscountTireDirect with them already premounted and blanced, can i just slap them on and go? lol

and max doesnt recommend 16s?
Old 03-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

erm...
read?

They are talking about 19" and 18" in the links...
Old 03-16-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

very true. so if i get a package off of DiscountTireDirect with them already premounted and blanced, can i just slap them on and go? lol

The max is closer to 235/45/20, that would require a bit of rolling and puling though.
Old 03-16-2011
Registered!!

im sorry, i just get confused when people start talking about lifts and drops and springs. i +repped you too. i just want a defined answer since im not too great with cars in the first place, im still learning.

Edit: @mindbomber, i was talking about max the guy on here. i dont want any rubbing, thats why im staying at 16" rims. and i was asking since they mount and balance them for you, is it safe just to install them without walmart or a garage doing it for you?
Old 03-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by MindBomber
The max is closer to 235/45/20, that would require a bit of rolling and puling though.
actually, that's Maxtierney in the links
Old 03-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Edit: @mindbomber, i was talking about max the guy on here. i dont want any rubbing, thats why im staying at 16" rims. and i was asking since they mount and balance them for you, is it safe just to install them without walmart or a garage doing it for you?
they should be balanced after mounted, so it's just slapping them in
i use 205/55R16 for years now, and car is 1" lower, no rubbing at all.
Old 03-16-2011
Registered!!

Alright thanks, the package i was planning on getting has 205/50-16 tires. I dont plan on raising it or dropping it. just want some new rims. haha. And somebody else suggested me buying the lug kit elsewhere because DTD wants 45.00 for it. /:
Old 03-16-2011
Registered!!

and how much can i sell my steelies, 1 brand new tire, 3 old(er) ones, 4 honda hubcaps?
Old 03-16-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
actually, that's Maxtierney in the links
Reading fail on my part, I can't wait for this semester to be over, I seriously need a break haha

is it safe just to install them without walmart or a garage doing it for you?
You really won't save much by going to wal-mart and do you really want to risk them screwing up your nice new rims?

Look for a shop that has a touchless Corghi Machine, google the local performance shops and make a few phone calls. Believe me, its a bit of extra work and maybe an extra $20 in cost, but well worth it!

Alright thanks, the package i was planning on getting has 205/50-16 tires. I dont plan on raising it or dropping it. just want some new rims. haha. And somebody else suggested me buying the lug kit elsewhere because DTD wants 45.00 for it. /:
$45 isn't bad, with shipping you can get them for $20 on ebay but it will take a couple months to get them.

and how much can i sell my steelies, 1 brand new tire, 3 old(er) ones, 4 honda hubcaps?
Maybe $200?

Depends how fast you want to sell them realy, I've seen someone selling 4 Honda hubcaps for $100 but it would take weeks to sell if ever.
Old 03-16-2011
Registered!!

Thanks MindBomber, i think i'll go ahead and get the 45 dollar lug kit included just to be safe. And you advise me not to install it myself?
Old 03-16-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Install yourself?

What do you mean, mount the tires onto the rims or put the rims on the car.
Old 03-16-2011
Registered!!

im buying a package from Discount Tire Direct, when you buy the package they mount and balance them for you before it's shipped. they ship them already together. so im guessing all i have to do is jack my car up, take off the old ones, and lug up the new tires. correct?
Old 03-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

yup, that's it.
PS: are you getting lugnuts that fits the wheel? the steelies have different chamfer in the lug nuts.
Any autoparts will have then for temporary solution, BTW

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-16-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2011
Registered!!

yeah i heard the honda oems have a different style lugnut than other tires. other ones have acorn lugs right? thats whats included with the new rims.
Old 03-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

it's actually a difference from the steel wheels to the "mag"/"aluminum" or whatever material the wheels are made - they need different seating angles to hold the wheel in place better (was that it the reason? can't remember, have been too many decades since i read it - the steelies are also much thinner due to the material, but lighter due to its density, and stronger).
But bottom line is if you are getting specific lugnuts for the wheel type (AKA material they are made), you should be OK.
Old 03-17-2011
Registered!!

okay so i'll just stick with the $45 pack thats included. thanks mam
n!
Old 03-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

im buying a package from Discount Tire Direct, when you buy the package they mount and balance them for you before it's shipped. they ship them already together. so im guessing all i have to do is jack my car up, take off the old ones, and lug up the new tires. correct?
thats basically correct, if you want to get really technical..

1. chalk your tires. Most important step by far!
2. break the torque on the lug nuts, layman's term, loosen them a bit.
3. Jack up the car.
4. Remove the current wheel and put on the new one, torque the lug nuts snug to the rim.
5. set car on ground.
6. Torque the lug nuts to 80ft lbs, your OEM tire wrench is 1ft long so it's a bit tough to get them to that tight. If you use a cheater pipe then just remember that leverage multiplies torque by a factor of one for each foot of extension.
Old 03-17-2011
Registered!!

what's chalking your tires? lol