7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I just did Seafoam today :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pp0225 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just did Seafoam today :)

I just did Seafoam only through brake booster today, I really notice my car idle and accelerate smoother after seafoam completed. Some people say is bad for your car, maybe because they put it in the oil (I think it might brake all the gunk between the gasket and make oil leaks.), I would say give it a try only through the brake booster.
Old 03-05-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: I just did Seafoam today :)

Yeah. The BB line is where it should be going. Putting it into the crankcase doesn't seem to do much, and might not get rid of most of it. This is the internet, and I hear good and bad about it, but have never seen any proof that this stuff does anything bad to cars unless you go OD and put more than needed in the car. You're only supposed to put like a third of it in a vacuum line and maybe another third in the gas tank.
Old 03-05-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Seafoam Ingredients in percentage:

IPA 10-20
Naphta 25-35
Pale oil 40-60

It's VERY close to carb cleaner.

What your watching coming out of the exhaust pipe is actually the seafoam burning off, not your engine being cleaned. This crap isn't good for your car, just because it looks like it's doing something does not mean it is.

To some extent engine build up is supposed to happen. They build engines to develop deposits in spots that wont affect its operating condition, instead of where it may affect the way the car runs. You dislodge buildup and it may end up jammed where you dont want it. Like in your water jackets or cooling pipes. It's up to you, I woulnd't be using seafoam. I'm very interested to see how much negative feedback I get on my own post here. I know many people have had "Good" results with it, but I'm just wondering how good the results were. I'm not really buying it.

I'll add a bit more to this. The chemical composition of seafoam is similar to carb cleaner (as i mentioned), and carb cleaner isn't good for rubber components of your car. Your head gasket is measured in millimeters, if you want to throw a harsh chemical at it you go right ahead. Carburators are okay to clean with it, if there were any rubber seals on them they were very large, not tiny like HGs.

Last edited by BlueEM2; 03-05-2011 at 09:22 AM. Reason: gasket stuff
Old 03-05-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Don't worry, I won't kill ya. I'm not going to discredit anyone with a logical explanation about it, which you have provided. Some people just say "X" is bad but can't provide a reason as to why(no pun intended). I've never used the stuff, and I'm aware that carbon build up does happen over time, as it's normal. I tend to just do an Italian tune up to my car once a year, usually once spring rolls around and my car appreciates it. Hell, so do I! I guess only time would tell though for something like this.
As for carb cleaner....I've used that to clean my TB, but that stuff dries up pretty fast. Then again, the car is off, so I see what you're getting at, unless you're talking about the fumes?
Old 03-05-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

The fumes man the fumes It dries fast because your only using a little bit of it. You shouldnt be using carb cleaner to clean your throttle body though. You should be using throttle body cleaner.. IMO
Old 03-05-2011
Trance Addict

Heh. The stuff I have is some Valvoline TB/Carb cleaner.

I've only used it like twice though, so I doubt it did any harm, but I shall keep that in mind next time around.
Old 03-05-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I think if you removed the TB entirely to clean it with carb cleaner, it should be fine, but cleaning it while on the car may bring rise to problems
Old 03-05-2011
Trance Addict

I use a toothbrush and paper towels to clean the butterfly valve outer edge and wipe up the excess. Most of the cleaner was used to clean off my transmission when I had that seal leak a while back. Lol.
Old 03-05-2011
Registered!!

pp0225 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tbohar
Seafoam Ingredients in percentage:

IPA 10-20
Naphta 25-35
Pale oil 40-60

It's VERY close to carb cleaner.

What your watching coming out of the exhaust pipe is actually the seafoam burning off, not your engine being cleaned. This crap isn't good for your car, just because it looks like it's doing something does not mean it is.

To some extent engine build up is supposed to happen. They build engines to develop deposits in spots that wont affect its operating condition, instead of where it may affect the way the car runs. You dislodge buildup and it may end up jammed where you dont want it. Like in your water jackets or cooling pipes. It's up to you, I woulnd't be using seafoam. I'm very interested to see how much negative feedback I get on my own post here. I know many people have had "Good" results with it, but I'm just wondering how good the results were. I'm not really buying it.

I'll add a bit more to this. The chemical composition of seafoam is similar to carb cleaner (as i mentioned), and carb cleaner isn't good for rubber components of your car. Your head gasket is measured in millimeters, if you want to throw a harsh chemical at it you go right ahead. Carburators are okay to clean with it, if there were any rubber seals on them they were very large, not tiny like HGs.
yeh...you have your point, it may harm my car in some way, but I really notice there is better performance in my car, I really hope those bad effect you said wont come out
Old 03-05-2011
Whachya lookin at?

They probably won't... but it's not worth the risk. MelJ that's actually throttle body cleaner... not carb cleaner. If it's labelled both it's usually the safer of the two products. I wasn't talking about the fumes from the throttle body cleaner, i was talking about the fumes coming out of the exhaust when using seafoam lol Spraying straight up carb cleaner on rubber seals isnt good though.
Old 03-05-2011
Trance Addict

Lol. Okay. You shouldn't be inhaling that stuff anyways. . I would never spray a seal with that stuff.
Old 03-05-2011
Registered!!

tipnitty is on a distinguished road

Honestly, I have heard both ways about seafoam. I bought a 7th get so it will run for ever. I know how to keep up with all major components to make that happen and seafoam isn't one of them for me anyways. I'm not going to take the risk on something like that personally. Like others have said, probably no danger but I'm paranoid.
Old 03-05-2011
Trance Addict

Yeah. Same here. I think the point we're trying to make is to proceed with caution and follow directions if you do decide to do it.
Old 10-08-2011
Registered!!

sedna6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't want to start another thread so I'll post here.

I'm a complete novice, and my friend did seafoam for my last car..but I never did it on my own. He does it for his car. Anyways.

I have a 2005 Civic LX... where exactly is the Brake Booster? and where do you guys recommend I pour the 1/3 of the liquid into for best results? I heard that the PCV valve (which I also don't know where it's at) gives better results if you pour it in there. That it goes through all the 4 cylinders...

either way. Here is a pic.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4834/img7640re.jpg

and here is where I THINK the Brake Booster is on the civic...

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/866/vacuumf.jpg
Old 10-10-2011
Honda Crazy

ZFreak is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll throw my two cents in... My EM2 has over 300k miles, and in NOT ONE MILE of that have I used injector cleaner, seafoam, engine flush, etc. and my car idles and drives the same it did when it had 7 miles on it. If you have a rough idle, then look at what's causing it. (i.e. o2 sensors, throttle body, plugs, PCV, etc.). Seafoam is just another marketing ploy that "invented" a problem/resolution that didn't exist in the first place.
Old 10-10-2011
Registered!!

CivicVoz is an unknown quantity at this point

I sprayed some Seafoam Spray into the TB, added half a can of Seafoam Motor Treatment into the crankcase and the other half into the fuel. I took the car on a nice highway drive and changed the oil when I came back. The oil was much darker than usual and I did notice my throttle response was a bit smoother thru the rpm range. I wouldn't recommend seafoaming the car on a yearly basis but once or twice during its life should be fine.