7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

How to change an alternator?

Old 02-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TyroneF is an unknown quantity at this point
How to change an alternator?

Sorry if i'm posting this under the wrong section, but I own a 2004 Honda Civic Value Package, 1.7 litre engine

Are there any DIY videos that show how to change out my alternator? I'm a auto noob tryna save some money

I've seen a couple and by the look of my engine it seems I need to move out my power steering out the way? How risky is it that I am doing this? Thanks for all your help guys
Old 02-22-2011
TRUST me! I'm Idiot Proof!

BobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura about
Re: How to change an alternator?

Yes there is a DIY, but not specifically for the alt. Search this forum for a timing belt change.
That will show you the removal of the P/S pump and the Alternator. Its not hard at all.
FYI a ...1-1/16" socket (big enough to fit over the thumb screw) makes tightening the belts back up a cinch.
Old 02-22-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BobDobolina
Yes there is a DIY, but not specifically for the alt. Search this forum for a timing belt change.
That will show you the removal of the P/S pump and the Alternator. Its not hard at all.
FYI a ...1-1/16" socket (big enough to fit over the thumb screw) makes tightening the belts back up a cinch.
Thanks bob, is there a way you can link me? I'm such a tard when it comes to this kind of stuff
Old 02-22-2011
Car Enthusiasts

Raid3n is an unknown quantity at this point

Should be pretty is bro.. ill post a link for you if i find any diy
Old 02-22-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Its relatively easy, start digging for it and it will come out pretty easy.... remove the power steering pump and you might be able to gain access to it just like that. You need to remove the drivers side tire as well to get access to everything.
Old 02-22-2011
Registered!!

Ok guys I found a DIY here on the forum, I just can't find it now because it was on my itouch. It wasn't a DIY for alternators only but I think it was to switch out the timing belts.

Anyways. So I finally got to the alternator and took it off. I had a brand new alternator that I got for $150. Turns out, the new one didn't fit... out of the 2 bolt holes the bigger one wasn't 100% flush. There was a little bit of a shim coming out of the hole. So I ended up going to like 3 different people for opinions and finally my friend took a hammer and hit it a couple times and now it's flush.

It's night time now though in california so I have to wait until Thursday because I work all day tommorrow. I did however wanted to see if it fit in there and it sure does.

So all I need to do is adjust the bottom bracket screws and wingnut... hopefully I don't mess that up. I have to put the serpentine belt back on that AND the power steering. Is there really anyway to mess this up? What happens if I put both the belts back on and maybe one of them is too loose or tight? Is there a fool proof way to making sure I complete this properly?

Thanks again for all the help guys, I would rep but I am brand new here lol
Old 02-25-2011
TRUST me! I'm Idiot Proof!

BobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura about

Sorry for the late response...

But no. Theres no way to really screw it up cause its all for optional stuff anyway, as in if its too loose, it'll squeal and maybe burn up the belt. If its too tight...you might wear the pulley bearings down a little early.
This is a major cause of squealing P/S pumps...belts were too tight too long.

Rule is just press down on the belt until you get @1/2 or 1/4 deflection with some good force. Good force being pretty hard with your finger.

Hope that helps! And just trust yourself. You'll sleep better at night, LOL