7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Crack in plastic interior of door

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mangoo- is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Crack in plastic interior of door

Any possible fix? Or can you replace the plastic on the door? It's near the door lock of a 02 civic if you cant tell dont know how the previous owner could cause that damage
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00101-20101221-1340.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	80282  
Old 02-19-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Crack in plastic interior of door

need to replace the whole door panel. its around $250 new and prolly much cheaper used. be sure to get the right color depending on the car. its brittle hard plastic and couldve happened from sun damage.
Old 02-19-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Could have been years of sitting in the sun, and then an elbow would have caused the crack

I would go to a local import salvage yard and check if they have door panel in your color, would prolly cost no more than $50 for a used one
Old 02-19-2011
Registered!!

prist is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mangoo-
Any possible fix? Or can you replace the plastic on the door? It's near the door lock of a 02 civic if you cant tell dont know how the previous owner could cause that damage
There are few ways to repair that damage on the door panel.
a) You will need super glue, paper tissue, acetone (nail polish is okay) and a black paint marker.
Remove the door panel from the door have the interior side facing down flat on a table or on a bench don’t forget to put a cover or a blanket not to scratch the interior side.
From the rear side now on a rag put some acetone and rub the area were the crack is to clean it,
Take a piece of the paper tissue and insert it in the direction of the crack and apply some pressure on it (basically you need to fill the crack and the tissue to get showing on the good side.
Apply the super glue on the paper tissue and let it dry.
Now from the front side (interior side) apply a very thin coat of super glue wait till dries and with the paint marker run a very thin coat of paint along the crack let it dry. Run the paint marker once again but this time paint about 1/4 inch away from the crack to blend in.
Another method:
Soldering gun with square tip, glue gun, super glue, a piece of aluminum thin (pop can will do) or a piece of plastic flexible enough.
Run the soldering gun from the rear of the panel enough to melt a join the crack cut a piece of a the aluminum to cover area 1 1/2 bigger than the cracked area fill it with hot glue and the same time apply super glue on the aluminum piece or plastic piece and bond it to the panel let it dry.
Front of the panel with the paint marker run a thin coat were the crack is let it dry and apply again about quarter inch away to blend in.
I hope this will help you.
Sorry for the novel I tried to keep it short as possible.
If anyone else has better method please post it and may help me too.
Old 02-20-2011
Registered!!

mangoo- is an unknown quantity at this point

About just putting a paint marker over it-- would it match? I noticed that with the crack, bass that shocks through the speakers make a vibrating noise through the panel and it's really annoying. Do you think it would be enough to fix it?

Tissue paper and super glue does sound a bit messy though..
Old 06-22-2012
Registered!!

jgg204 is an unknown quantity at this point

i just got back from the local dealership to have the door lock actuator and the door lock cylinder replaced (both were broken). they did the job for $294

i noticed when i walked to the parking lot that they cracked my door panel rather significantly when they took the panel off. at first they tried to blame me and say that i did it, which i reminded them was untrue. they said it must have been true because how else would i have known the door lock actuator was broken. i said b/c it doesn't work! haha. they asked how i knew that, i said because the button doesn't work, the fuse is not fried, and it was working intermittently and making a whining noise before it finally stopped working. they brought the technician out who said he didn't do it. i said it was cracked in this shop here. the guy said "look, i'm not lying to you." i said "i never accused you of being a liar, it's just that i brought it in without a crack and whoever worked on my car whether it was you or another person cracked it." he said "it must have been cracked before you brought it in because when i was taking off the other side it started flexing there". i said "it was most likely flexing there b/c you cracked it with the door panel removal tool when you popped off the fastener. "

i spoke with the service manager, who surprisingly did not call me a liar to my face and agreed promptly to have it taken care of . he said he would find a matching door panel from a salvage yard and give me a call when he finds one and when he gets the seat belt buckle in stock to do the warranty work (the airbag light was on due to that obnoxious seat belt buckle problem that our 7th gen civics seem to have).

i contacted Visa to file a dispute claim with the picture and all proper documentation in anticipation that the dealership never finds another panel. i told Visa to hold off submitting it to be processed until it's been 2 weeks. 2 weeks should be plenty of time to find a new panel.

hilarious that they glued it and hoped i wouldn't notice...YEAH RIGHT
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0562.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	83562  

Last edited by jgg204; 06-22-2012 at 11:35 AM.