7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

nearly cut wire and tranny fluid question

Old 01-25-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough
nearly cut wire and tranny fluid question

i opened up the hood to fill up the windshield washer fluid and saw this. wondering what it does and how i should cover it back up. electrical tape?

and a few days ago i was talking to my dad and he mentioned that he's never touched the tranny fluid in any of the other cars. he said i shouldn't bother either. ive never seen it not recommended on here so im wondering if it's because our other cars are toyota's? we have a tercel with 300k km, a corolla with 280k km and a 2005 echo with 125k km (yep my dad's a toyota fan). it can't be that horrible to not do it if our cars are running such high mileage.
Old 01-25-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: nearly cut wire and tranny fluid question

That is a grounding lead. No need to insulate.

I would suggest a drain and refill with OEM fluid. ( every 25-30k mile interval for any car )

I loved my past Toyota's, though a couple needed 93 octane in warm weather to stop the spiking, never had any issues with my Civic's running 87 year round.
Old 01-25-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

ground wire to engine - that's the negative - search around - there was a thread to put some good negative cable, but not sure where it is anymore
LOL craigW beat me to it
Old 01-25-2011
Person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I would also suggest the tranny drain along with CraigW
Old 01-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

DAM! And I thought mine was dirty. lol.

I would replace that ground strap. Mine broke and I blew my ELD. They sell those at the autoparts store for like $5.
Old 01-25-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

good to know. ill keep an eye on it and in the spring ill replace it, thanks
Old 01-25-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just get another ground wire. the factory one is pretty nice but you can use stereo ground wire too. def wouldnt leave it like that, you can damage electronics.
Old 01-25-2011
Sedans > Coupes

ill just put some electrical tape for now cause its way too cold to work on the car. no garage. ill change the wire in the spring.

thanks all
Old 01-25-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well thats not the problem, its not a live wire to need tape, the whole thing is exposed already. the problem is there are only two thin strands holding it together and hardly any current can pass thru it.
Old 01-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gearbox
well thats not the problem, its not a live wire to need tape, the whole thing is exposed already. the problem is there are only two thin strands holding it together and hardly any current can pass thru it.
Agreed.
Old 01-25-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

electric sells big3 upgrade on this forum, should do it.
Old 01-25-2011
Premium Member

i dont care how cold it is, you can afford 1 minute to undo two bolts and change the wire lol. otherwise you could do hundreds of dollars in damage. ground wires are very important.
Old 01-26-2011
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
electric sells big3 upgrade on this forum, should do it.
Agreed. When I was upgrading my wires (because they were starting to look like yours), I had Electric130 make me a custom set. Quality is top knotch and the batter terminal is a really nice upgrade too.

Heres the link: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...kits-sale.html

As for the tranny fluid, do a drain and fill with Honda fluid. ATF for autos, MTF for manuals. Pick it up at the parts department at the dealer. Dont use any other brand but honda for trannys.
Old 01-26-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

oh, yeh, that's the link i couldn't find...
Old 01-26-2011
Sedans > Coupes

crap, didnt think it was that important.
Old 01-26-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

without ground you don't have current to the engine - no power, for starters
Old 01-26-2011
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

^^Well, its not about having current going to the engine, its about grounding the engine so the circuits are complete and stuff doesnt get fried, like a vtec solenoid.
Old 01-26-2011
Sedans > Coupes

d17a1. no need to worry about a vtec solenoid. but yeah, im gonna get it replaced asap
Old 01-26-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by TRIZ
^^Well, its not about having current going to the engine, its about grounding the engine so the circuits are complete and stuff doesnt get fried, like a vtec solenoid.
duh! fer me
review semantics: what does a ground wire do?

Last edited by sdaidoji; 01-26-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-26-2011
Premium Member

last time i checked, the ecu was grounded to the engine block lol.
Old 01-26-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

i am a mechanic engineer, electrics are a maze for me, except for harmonics
Old 01-27-2011
Registered!!

Kevinkriz is an unknown quantity at this point

Take your car to a shop that has a fluid exchanger, it replaces the old fluid with new stuff. They just take the lines off the transmission cooler and hook it to the machine, turn the car on and the machine takes care of it. Way faster and easier than dropping the pan, and it replaces ALL the fluid, even the stuff in the torque converter.
Old 01-27-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

There are 3 major ground wires in a car

Negative Battery to chassis, Engine to chassis, and Tranny to chassis

Basically grounding just completes the circuit, without proper grounds, you have no electricity (untechnically speaking)