7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

01-03 Lip / side skirts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about
01-03 Lip / side skirts?

I was wondering where i could get side skirts and front / rear lips for a 2 door civic EX?

I know you're probably going to say ebay, but links to any good ones would help.

Also, if i wanted to paint them and install them ... could i do that myself or would i have to take it to a shop?
Old 01-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: 01-03 Lip / side skirts?

Rattle can paint jobs don't often turn out very well and don't last, if you want to paint it yourself I'd look into getting an HLVP gun and air compressor. Unfortunately lips are fairly expensive to have painted, around here you'd be looking between $600-1000 to have one painted. Vancouver is pretty expensive in general though.
Old 01-23-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.carbodykits.com/home.php

I was looking at that site for body/lip kits way back when.. they seem to have decent prices.. Dunno what shipping or quality is like though.
Old 01-24-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

That much just to paint? If so then i'd be looking at about $800-$1200 just for a lip?! Not worth it lol. I guess thats why most people leave them black.

But my uncle owns a body shop so i might be able to get it a lot cheaper.

As for the site rice, i haven't checked but shipping is probably a lot. I saw one on ebay that was $60, and the shipping alone cost $200 :/
Old 01-24-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you located?
I have looked at a Type-RS (Best looking lip for 7th gen IMO) for about $40 bucks, dont know shipping price though...

Paint will run about $100~200 for a job, but I was thinking doing a rustoleum, or autopaint aerosol mix for about >$50
Old 01-24-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Where are you located?
I have looked at a Type-RS (Best looking lip for 7th gen IMO) for about $40 bucks, dont know shipping price though...

Paint will run about $100~200 for a job, but I was thinking doing a rustoleum, or autopaint aerosol mix for about >$50
I live in Ottawa Canada.

Agreed, the type RS i think also looks best. Now for the autopaint aerosol mix, would it be almost as good? And can you do it yourself?

If getting lip and sideskirts would cost me around $500, i think i could do it
Old 01-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I wouldn't do it yourself with a spray can. Spray paint just isn't very good quality so the paint won't match and it will start to chip up really quickly, plus canned clear coat costs a fortune.

If you really want to do it yourself, buy a $30 harbor freight HLVP gun and borrow/rent a small compressor and spray it using proper paint.
Old 01-24-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Not really, this guy did it with great results
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ps-w-pics.html

You just need a can of paint that matches to your car color mixed up at a shop
Prolly 3~4 cans for skirt, lip 2 layers
Old 01-24-2011
Registered!!

I can most likely get the paint for (or close to) free from my uncle, and if a gun is only $30 then i could always do that (But i don't know where to buy one)
Old 01-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Not really, this guy did it with great results
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ps-w-pics.html

You just need a can of paint that matches to your car color mixed up at a shop
Prolly 3~4 cans for skirt, lip 2 layers
The quality doesn't really look great to my eye, even freshly sprayed, but it's hard to tell through pictures. If your going to do it just do it properly and buy the gun, it's only cheap anyway.

Not sure if harbor freight will ship directly to Canada, but they'd be a good place to order a cheap gun from.
Old 01-25-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Gun is >$50, however, the compressor will run you a good 100~300

Since lips arent that big of a deal, and they get scratched anyways, I say can it up.
If you're doing a fender or hood...then yeah, gun would be ideal
Old 01-25-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Meh. It's a matter of opinion I guess, I rather do anything that involves paint perfect since its the first thing anyone looks at.

You can rent a compressor for the day for like $15.
Old 01-25-2011
Registered!!

Well which is the easier of the too considering i've never painted anything in my life? lol
Old 01-25-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Yo I have like 50 compressors at my house, just come over and do it at my place, or i can come over w/e. Point is I got one, and I think my dad has a paint gun somewhere... not sure if it's the right kind though.
Old 01-25-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Easy/cheap? Spray can

Best quality? Spray gun
Old 01-25-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Spray gun is easy too, you just need the gun and access to the compressor, which like I said you can rent for the day.
Old 01-25-2011
Kenny the Ricer

You also need a dust free environment and fans to vent the overspray....
Just saying, if you want to do it the proper way...

Thats why i said lips arent very important, so I would just spray can and half **** it
Old 01-25-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

w/e I don't half *** anything on my car, if I'm going to do it I'll do it right.

There's so little over spray with a lip it's not all that necessary to have a ventilation system and a dust free environment is simple. It doesn't matter, the options are on the table and the facts have been laid out.
Old 01-25-2011
Registered!!

Well Shift-E (my cousin) has a compressor, which i could have already guessed. So spray gun is definitely an option now, only problem i'm having is the dust free environment, i dunno where to do that
Old 01-25-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

A dust free environment isn't as difficult as it sounds. A drive way is fine as long as there's no wind and its rained in the past few days to keep the dust down, the only time dust is an issue is during and immediately after you paint while it's still wet.
Old 01-26-2011
Registered!!

So garage is bad i guess?
Old 01-26-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

A garage is perfect as long as its not all dusty and dirty.
Old 01-26-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
A garage is perfect as long as its not all dusty and dirty.
Just to make sure we're on the same path ... i mean a house garage and not an auto body garage 8)
Old 01-26-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Thats totally cool, if you were painting an entire car then you would need to start worrying about the things Kenny mentioned like over spray and having a ventilated space. You would be painting four small pieces of plastic, so as long as theres not a lot of dust to kick up you'll be fine with a basic set-up.
Old 01-27-2011
Registered!!

approx. how long for the paint to dry?? And i also didn't get an answer to can they be put on myself or does it require a body shop? (Thanks for all your help so far +rep!)

Edit: I need to give other people reps b4 i rep u again lol
Old 01-27-2011
Kenny the Ricer

A proper heated room (shop) would take several hours to dry

Letting it bake in the sun, I say from morning to nightfall it should be dry to the touch, and maybe 2~4 days for it to cure.
Depending on what kind of paint, and how thick it is applied, it can take anywhere from a day, to a month to fully cure
Especially if you have undiluted enamel, I've heard anywhere from months to years for it to fully cure.

But...then again you dont have to wait for it to cure to stick it on, the paint will just be soft. so be careful with it
Soft meaning even your fingernail will dent it.

@ your install question
It's really hard to say with aftermarket parts
Some made to OEM specs should pop right in no problems, however, some aftermarket parts might require minor modifications for it to fit nicely

But for the most part, yes you can do it yourself
Old 01-28-2011
Registered!!

Awesome thanks for your answer! I really hope i'm not going to have to wait a couple months to fully cure :P Else i'll do it at my uncles garage and just store it there for a day or two.