7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Crank Pulley: Answers needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011
TRUST me! I'm Idiot Proof!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura about
Crank Pulley: Answers needed!

I will be doing my timing belt/tensioner/seals and a P/S pump rebuild in the comming days, and wondered if anyone has ever had problems removing their crank pulleys...?
Would a pulley removal tool be worth my trouble/money?
How easy was it to remove?
If no pulley removal tool was used, and that SOB was stuck on there, how'd you get it off?
Id like to attack my next project with a full clip, if you know what I mean...
Old 01-23-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Crank Pulley: Answers needed!

The crank pulley bolt was a pain in the *** to remove. You can try to get it with an impact gun but unless you have something with MAJOR power it wont even budge it. I HIGHLY recommend buying one of these, it makes life A LOT easier:

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648.../dp/B0000TMLWQ

Here is how it is used:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE-pzP8g_x4

In the video the guy had already cracked the bolt so it seems like it came off real easy. Expect to have much more trouble than he did

You can save yourself a lot of time if you come into it prepared, it's one less thing to trial and error if you know how to do it before you start.
Old 01-23-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

+1 to all the above. I didn't do my timing belt job the first time around, but I have heard about the tool sold on Amazon from various Honda sites.
Old 01-23-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I pulled my head gasket so in the process changed the timing belt. The way I did it was interesting to say the least but it worked. I had regular ratchet with the crank pulley remover tool on it, and a pipe on the end of it wedged up against the ground. Then I had a 3 foot breaker bar with two 8" extensions being supported with a jackstand (like the video shows). I almost snapped the breaker bar I had so much force going into it, but I got the bolt off in just a couple minutes. Knowing what I was getting into before starting it probably saved me an hour of messing around and a trip to the store to get the tool. Nothing I hate more than having to run out while in the middle of a job!
Old 01-23-2011

BobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the response, guys. I already got the tool, read it was a total bit#h to it get off without it.
My question is will the crank pulley just fall off when im done? or is it gonna be stuck on there from years of neglect?
I ask because when I went on a hunt for a pulley holder (and never found it, hada order online), all the auto places kept showing me this fancy lookin' claw like tool, told me it was crank pulley removal tool...never saw one used in any DIY for a honda.
Old 01-23-2011
Whachya lookin at?

The crank pulley should just pull right off with your hands after you remove the bolt.
Old 01-23-2011

Exactly what I was hoping to hear! thanks man!!
Old 09-21-2013
Registered!!

saujad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BobDobolina
I will be doing my timing belt/tensioner/seals and a P/S pump rebuild in the comming days, and wondered if anyone has ever had problems removing their crank pulleys...?
Would a pulley removal tool be worth my trouble/money?
How easy was it to remove?
If no pulley removal tool was used, and that SOB was stuck on there, how'd you get it off?
Id like to attack my next project with a full clip, if you know what I mean...

We were able to hold our crankshaft by putting a allen head wrench in one of the small holes in our pulley and wedging the other end on the body of the car. Much to our surprise it held and the bolt loosen with our breaker bar.
Did the same in opposite direction to re-tighten the bolt.
Old 09-29-2013
Registered!!

civicbyrc is an unknown quantity at this point

after you wiggle the pully off make sure you watch for the key. its a small rectangle piece of metal that aligns the crank pulley to the crankshaft. very important.
Old 10-16-2013
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civicbyrc
after you wiggle the pully off make sure you watch for the key. its a small rectangle piece of metal that aligns the crank pulley to the crankshaft. very important.
this
Old 10-16-2013
Whachya lookin at?

This two year old thread keeps getting revived ...