7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

High-pitched noise when engine starts/accelerates

Old 01-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
metaliumx is an unknown quantity at this point
High-pitched noise when engine starts/accelerates

So I've got this noise, which sounds like something spinning very fast (I jokingly call it my jet engine) when I start the car (maybe whirring would be a good description). It starts out very high pitched, and then will drop in pitch as the engine warms and idles at lower rpms. While driving, it will increase in pitch as I accelerate, and then drop in pitch if I slow down or if car changes gears. Its at the shop to have the transmission looked at, but should I be asking them to check out something different for this sound?

Imagine making the sound of a car driving, but do it whistling...and that is the sound its making.
Old 01-17-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough
Re: High-pitched noise when engine starts/accelerates

Happens to me too and i dont know what it is either. sounds almost electrical right? i find it most noticeable when the revs are at about 3 - 3.5k and you`re about to shift
Old 01-22-2011
Registered!!

cfendley is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like it could be a bearing rubbing attached to one of your belts. I just had this same problem. 01 civic ex with 90k. Take one of the drive belts off. Real easy actually using the chilton's manual. If the noise doesnt stop then reattach that belt and remove the next belt. If the noise doesnt go away then you just proved your ac compressor is good, alternator is good, and power steering pump is good. All thats left is the timing belt. thats not as easy. First off if you have an amp for your stereo make sure its grounded.
Old 01-23-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^ Good advice there... Generally high pitch noises are associated to auto tensioners. Since the only auto tensioner on our car is the timing belt tensioner hopefully its just a belt or a pulley going
Old 01-23-2011
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough

I am having the exact same problem with my bone stock 01 LX.
I'm looking forward to more info!

Nathan
Old 01-23-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Most likely what was said above. Try removing belts.
Old 01-23-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for tensioner. a worn out piece will make supercharger type sounds.
Old 01-24-2011
2001 Civic LX Sedan

This engine does not have an auto/hydraulic tensioner.

Nathan
Old 01-24-2011
Whachya lookin at?

The timing belt does have an auto tensioner. It is the culprit of many loud *** high pitched noises.
Old 01-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

+1 the d17 does have an auto tensioner and it does make a high pitched sound when it's going, mine's starting to do it at the moment actually... timing belt time soon i guess.
Old 01-24-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Ahh the timing belt have fun with that one. It's a fun job Expect to take a couple days if youve never done it before. Pretty easy though.
Old 01-25-2011
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Originally Posted by Biscuit
This engine does not have an auto/hydraulic tensioner.

Nathan
Gotta love Honda terminology. It is auto but not hydro.

Nathan
Old 01-25-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tbohar
Ahh the timing belt have fun with that one. It's a fun job Expect to take a couple days if youve never done it before. Pretty easy though.
I don't have a garage, so I'm debating on whether I'll actually do it myself or just take it to the dealership. The dealership only charges $300 without the water pump and tensioner, so I might just go to work for an extra two days instead and make up the difference in cost that way.
Old 01-25-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Not a bad idea. I don't have a garage either and did the entire job in my driveway, including the head gasket... I recommend doing it yourself if you've never done anything like it because you will learn a lot. I don't know your mechanical experience is the only reason I say it
Old 01-27-2011
Registered!!

Kevinkriz is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine makes the noise to, really only when it's warming up though around 1-1.5k RPM. I kinda like it, sounds like I got a turbocharger. :P
Old 01-31-2011
TRUST me! I'm Idiot Proof!

BobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by tbohar
Not a bad idea. I don't have a garage either and did the entire job in my driveway, including the head gasket... I recommend doing it yourself if you've never done anything like it because you will learn a lot. I don't know your mechanical experience is the only reason I say it
Props to the driveway mechanic! I remember those days...

And with $300, you could buy ...a rebuilt v-tec head...naw wait, thas me lol
Either way save the dough and learn your car, dont let it learn you.
Old 02-15-2013
Registered!!

jimmyjames1387 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with one of the above posts, I had limited mechanical experience and learned a lot through doing the timing belt job. Fortunately I found a post on this forum that took me through it step by step.

If you do it just make sure your timing belt kit comes with a new auto tensioner. Mine didn't come with one and the spring on the old one got bent. I didn't realize it until it was all put together and it started making the "jet engine" noises mentioned above. Replaced the spring and it runs great.