7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Both brand new high beams burnt out at same time.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
generik777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Both brand new high beams burnt out at same time.

Last week my passenger side low beam burned out. So today I finally got around to putting in two new headlights, and just now finally had to drive somewhere. Turned on my lights and got a couple miles down the road, Then I turned on my high beams and as soon as i do they both burn out simultaneously. Low beams still work. What would cause this?
Old 01-11-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Both brand new high beams burnt out at same time.

did you look at the bulbs to be sure the filament is actually broken in the bulb? the lo beam filament is the one in front of that small metal shield, the hi beam is open. if the bulbs are good, there is a problem with either the headlight relay or the wiring.
Old 01-12-2011
Registered!!

Update

Now the dims don't work either. Checked the bulbs and they are still good. Fuses are also good. Parking lights and everything still work. Now what?
Old 01-12-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

hmm, um the only thing left is the relay, i think two of em in the fuse box but its not very common for both to go out like that. i still have my originals. but if you have a 2001-2002 there is a recall for the headlight switch (lo beams both fail, but hi beam should still work). pm me your email and i will send you a copy.
Old 01-12-2011
Registered!!

Guess I forgot to mention mine is an 03. So I'm guessing the recall wouldn't apply. Also its an ex if that matters. I suppose the next thing to check would be the realys as you suggested. Is their any easy way to check them or is it just a replace it and see if it helps type thing? Also their are 2 correct? Thanx for the help.
Old 01-12-2011
Premium Member

you can test em, but its easier to just replace. check the owner manual to see which boxes are the headlight relays. if you cant find it, i can look for you.
Old 01-12-2011
Registered!!

That would be great. All I could find in the book to with headlights were the 2 fuses. Also, this is probly something I'm gonna have to either get from the dealer or online, right?
Old 01-12-2011
Premium Member

yeah prolly dealer. i dont think its a standard size relay.

okay the two headlight relays should be on the far right side. those two big black boxes. this is the under hood fuse box by the battery. you may only have one box like in the pic. top one is not there but might be for you. the one in this pic is right above the neon green box with upsidedown 40 on it.

Old 01-13-2011
Registered!!

Thanx so much. Now hopefully the dealer will have what I need tomorrow.
Old 01-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gearbox
...but if you have a 2001-2002 there is a recall for the headlight switch (lo beams both fail, but hi beam should still work).
That recall is actually for the connector on top of the steering column but, I have seen it burn up on '03-'05 models too. Take off the steering column covers and see if that connector is burnt. It's 3 phillips head screws on the bottom of the column, then the top and bottom covers just pop apart.

Same exact scenario happened to me, except I was 900 miles from home. High beams wouldn't work, then no headlights at all. They showed me the connector and it was completely burnt, they had to cut out the whole thing and splice in a new connector with like 20 wires.
Old 01-13-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^ Scary stuff.

You should have a single headlight relay, compare the part #s on the case and find another relay with the same # to swap it with. Simple & free test.
Old 01-13-2011
Premium Member

its true that the connector/wire is what overheats, but this can also damage the headlight combo switch. they do say it needs to be replaced as part of the recall. i have one of the affected 2002s and luckily it never happened to me...yet.

Originally Posted by lazlong
That recall is actually for the connector on top of the steering column but, I have seen it burn up on '03-'05 models too. Take off the steering column covers and see if that connector is burnt. It's 3 phillips head screws on the bottom of the column, then the top and bottom covers just pop apart.

Same exact scenario happened to me, except I was 900 miles from home. High beams wouldn't work, then no headlights at all. They showed me the connector and it was completely burnt, they had to cut out the whole thing and splice in a new connector with like 20 wires.