7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Camber kit for stock setup-Why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bravo79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear Camber kit for stock setup-Why?

I was trying to get an Alignment and the guy there told me that I have 1.5 + in rear passinger side wheel! do I really need Rear Camber kit for stock setup? I started to think that there is something wrong with the control arm or something.

I have KYB-GR2 shocks and stock springs in the rear

Does anybody have any Idea what could it be wrong with the rear suspension ? Or what to check

Any cheap rear camber kit suggestion?
Old 01-08-2011
Registered!!

Re: Rear Camber kit for stock setup-Why?

No one? Did I posted this in the wrong place ? How do i moved it
Old 01-08-2011
Registered!!

b0ssman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bravo79
I was trying to get an Alignment and the guy there told me that I have 1.5 + in rear passinger side wheel! do I really need Rear Camber kit for stock setup? I started to think that there is something wrong with the control arm or something.

I have KYB-GR2 shocks and stock springs in the rear

Does anybody have any Idea what could it be wrong with the rear suspension ? Or what to check

Any cheap rear camber kit suggestion?
1. determine if the shocks made the car any lower(I doubt they did)

2.If they did not then check honda factor specs and tolerances for rear camber.If it is out of spec then check to see that nothing is bent,which is what it could be due to the fact only one side(that you told us) is cambered.

2a.If the shocks did lower the car then determine if the otherside is the same way and my suggestion is to buy a rear camber kit for your car.
Old 01-08-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if the oem shocks are old, it can cause strange things to happen with the ride height. esp in the rear where the shocks arent the best to start with. i had massive sagging with the oems and it can throw off the camber if they are messed enough.
Old 01-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Our springs also have a tendency to sag after a number of years. Could you take a picture of the gap between your rear tire and fender or measure it for us?

No one? Did I posted this in the wrong place ? How do i moved it
This is a forum, not a call center that answers questions immediately. Although car problems are stressful and it's understandable that you would want a quick answer, please give members at least 12 hours to respond before you bump the thread. You gave us 12 minutes lol
Old 01-08-2011
Registered!!

I dont have measuring tape right now. I know that its lower from the driver side than the passenger side.. And I thought that the ground is not even... I always thought that my car is tilted to the left which is the driver side but the if there is a sag in the spring how that effect camber ? I mean to the alignment machine ?

I will be taking picture with a measuring tape tomorrow
Old 01-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I dont have measuring tape right now. I know that its lower from the driver side than the passenger side.. And I thought that the ground is not even... I always thought that my car is tilted to the left which is the driver side but the if there is a sag in the spring how that effect camber ? I mean to the alignment machine ?

I will be taking picture with a measuring tape tomorrow
The suspension sitting lower than the factory specifications causes negative camber, if that camber exceeds the limits of the factory camber arm it can't be corrected during an alignment. Use your fingers and measure how many fit in between the tire and rear fender that will give us an idea of how low your sitting.

I suspect you need new springs, not a camber kit. Struts and springs are regular maintenance, they always need to be replaced at a certain point, but there should never be a need to replace a camber kit on a factory suspension.

Last edited by MindBomber; 01-08-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-08-2011
Registered!!

take note he did say he had aftermarket shocks put on his old springs....I doubt they are bad already.Springs are what actually hold the weight of the car,I'd look there first and then at suspension components for something bent.Possibly there was an installation problem aswell.
Old 01-08-2011
Registered!!

I just checked and so COLD outside ... There are 2 fingers from the tire to the rear fender on the driver side and a tied 3 fingers on the passenger side. My rear Shocks are KYB-GR2 (Made in Japan-Gray ones) are 3 months old only but the springs are stock and I believe they never been changed
Old 01-08-2011
Registered!!

I just checked and so COLD outside ... There are 2 fingers from the tire to the rear fender on the driver side and a tied 3 fingers on the passenger side. My rear Shocks are KYB-GR2 (Made in Japan-Gray ones) are 3 months old only but the springs are stock and I believe they never been changed
when it warms up tomorrow(I know what it's like to work cold) check to see that everything was installed correctly..that the springs are'nt sitting un-evenly or anything(not likely but worth a shot).The next thing is to figure out if it's the springs(likely) or a bent suspension part(possible).
Old 01-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by b0ssman
when it warms up tomorrow(I know what it's like to work cold) check to see that everything was installed correctly..that the springs are'nt sitting un-evenly or anything(not likely but worth a shot).The next thing is to figure out if it's the springs(likely) or a bent suspension part(possible).
Springs being improperly aligned on the strut could account for some difference in ride height and thats a relatively easy mistake to make, but the difference would still be within the tolerances of the camber arms. That might be the reason for the difference between the driver and passenger side.

Bravo, you said you think these are the original springs, how many miles does the car have?
Old 01-09-2011
Registered!!

The car has 112.000 Miles ... I measured the sides today on the rear drive side from the ground to the fender its 25.25Inches and on the passenger side its 25.75 Inches . I have attached the alignment test results here, I was wrong about the Camber measurement its actually -1.9 and not +1.5 (I'm putting a Camber kit in the front ) I just changed the front Mounts and the spring hats with this stupid plastic bearings
--------------------
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1174.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	80000  
Old 01-09-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

?!?
you have too much positive camber in the left front as well.
Your right rear camber is too negative, but you say you left is lower?
Or you need new bushings, or you have bent suspension (not only rear, but fronts as well), or your springs are tired (112k should not be enough for that, but...).
Did they not find any bent parts?
If not, you should try another shop...
Old 01-09-2011
Registered!!

I Dont know how to inspect for bent suspension other than looking at it and see if I can find anything not right. How do I know that the LCAs are bent? In the front everything have been changed even the LCA bushings. I know the car hit the curb from the previews owner because he told me about it.

Also this Alignment results are from Firestone do you know any better place that I can go to?

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2011
Registered!!

I opened the rear suspension today and toke pictures I hope this help

I will post the right side first and the left side next

Picture on the left is Right side (passenger) picture on the right is driver's side
----------------------------
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1181.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	80016   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1187.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	80017  

Last edited by bravo79; 01-10-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-10-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Umm, those pictures dont really help....

It'd be better if you post a picture of the tape measuring the gap between the fender and tires
Old 01-10-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

do u have a sub (or 50-100 lb sand bags..like some members on here. lol) in the trunk?

that might have made ur rear "sag" more than usual creating camber.
Old 01-10-2011
Registered!!

I could see there is 1/4 inch between left and right rear camber from the previews pictures (Look at the zero of number 10 as well)

Here is the new fender to ground tape measurements. I aslo added picture of the front lca's But Im not sure if it helps.
Driver's side
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1193.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	80018
Passenger's side

Name:	100_1197.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	80019

LCA's
Driver's side

Name:	100_1201.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	80020
Passenger's side

Name:	100_1202.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	80021

I dont have any subs !

Last edited by bravo79; 01-10-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

firestone shops are hard to tell - if you get lucky, maybe you can get some good technician.
for bent LCA, one way is to measure them in length, but not much helpful.
the best is to ask around to try to find a good shop around your area. A 1/2 degree might be very small difference.
Also, your bushings might be torn or cracked, or similar, visual inspection. If they are too bad, they could be allowing too much play and changing alignment under loads.
Could also be play on the front crash bolts or the rear toe bolts.
just try to find some good shop and have them inspect the car.
Old 01-10-2011
Registered!!

I toke allot of pictures from the rear suspension bushings. I also bought and SPC rear Camber kit for $50

Here are some bushings pictures

Name:	100_1176.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	80022

Name:	100_1177.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	80023

Name:	100_1179.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	80024

Name:	100_1183.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	80025

Name:	100_1189.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	80026
Old 01-11-2011
Registered!!

I hooked up the rear camber kit and the front camber kit today and toke the car to Firestone to get an alignment... It toke them 2 hours than they call me inside to look at it
After putting the camber kit in the rear the passenger rear toe is off and cannot be adjusted because its maxed out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????? How can a camber kit change toe ?

The left front wheel still have + camber and cannot be adjusted more. It was at 1.5 not with the camber kit its 2.3 ????????

I dont know what think at this point .... If anybody know something about this issue please share your info
Old 01-11-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

did they place the washer tab to the right direction in the front?...
rear arms could be really bent... did they inspect it? Hard to tell from the pictures... better in person...
Old 01-11-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I know what to think, Firestone has absolutely no clue what they're doing.

There's no reason a car with factory springs would need a camber kit, ever, period. Something else is wrong, either your springs have sagged or you have bent lower control arms I'm guessing. It's also possible your strut install was done incorrectly.

Take your car to a real mechanic, someone who knows civics well that you can trust and have him look over the parts to find out whats actually wrong. The group on this forum knows 7g civics better than any shop or forum, but there's a limit to what we can diagnose from pictures and alignment sheets.

Last edited by MindBomber; 01-11-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-11-2011
Registered!!

well they told me to bring it again when there best alignment specialist comes in to look at it but I paid them already ! So next time I dont pay.

They used a different camber kit and it did the same thing they just cant get the wheel to go in (Negative Camber) I watched them trying Though.

The strut has been changed 2 times before (The tire looked weird and it was very clear that it has + camber before) and its brand new. That Time I toke it to Pepboys and they didnt say anything about the camber.

How to tell if the LCA is bent? I dont want to buy one and dont solve my problem
i already spent allot money I could buy Konis and lowered the car with the money I spent trying to get the camber thing
Old 01-11-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

The easiest way would be to compare it to a new LCA unfortunately, it takes someone who is very familiar with 7g civics to tell the difference between an LCA with a slight bend and perfect one.

Have they inspected the rest of your suspension?
Ball joints, tie rod ends?
If those are failing they could throw off your suspension geometry and make it impossible to get a proper alignment.

well they told me to bring it again when there best alignment specialist comes in to look at it but I paid them already ! So next time I dont pay.

They used a different camber kit and it did the same thing they just cant get the wheel to go in (Negative Camber) I watched them trying Though.

The strut has been changed 2 times before (The tire looked weird and it was very clear that it has + camber before) and its brand new. That Time I toke it to Pepboys and they didnt say anything about the camber.

How to tell if the LCA is bent? I dont want to buy one and dont solve my problem
i already spent allot money I could buy Konis and lowered the car with the money I spent trying to get the camber thing
Old 01-11-2011
Registered!!

The Tie Rods are brand new and the ball joint are ok.
Old 01-11-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

The Tie Rods are brand new and the ball joint are ok.
Has the torque on the strut mount bolts been checked, if any of those are to loose it will throw the suspension geometry off.
Old 01-12-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

from his alignment numbers, i would take both lca out and compare them

buuut... one circle is 365 degrees, 1-2 deg might even be difficult to eyeball...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 01-12-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-14-2011
Registered!!

Problem fixed !!!!!!!!

So Today Firestone best alignment guy told me to get a knuckle or check the frame (Hes not sure) When I went to a frame shop they told me go get it checked at NTB - National Tire & Battery first

So the NTB Alignment guy did it! He told me that Firestone or whoever worked on it before didnt know how to use the chamber kit.
Old 01-14-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Glad to hear it finally got fixed, I've been trying to figure this out since you originally posted and it was driving me nuts that I couldn't.

Now I'm just wondering if the NTB guy could have done it with the stock camber kit... hmmm..

Quick Reply: Rear Camber kit for stock setup-Why?