7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Quick Question: Dropping

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about
Quick Question: Dropping

Im making a list of stuff i want to do to my car when i get it and i'm calculating the cost so i know approximately what i'm dealing with.

I searched for an answer but i dunno if i didn't search hard enough but i couldn't find an answer.

So the question is simple, approximately how much will it cost to lower a 2 door civic ex? I mean all you have to do is buy new springs right?

And also, how much should it be lowered, cuz if i did drop my car i don't want it scratching everytime i go over a speed bump
Old 01-04-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Quick Question: Dropping

Do you want to do it properly?

Properly would likely need all this..
Springs.
Struts.
Strut mounts.
Strut bearings.
Possibly dust boots.
Tie rod ends.
Ball Joints.
LCA bushings.
Camber Kit.
Alignment.
Old 01-05-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

dust boots - i live without then for more than 4 years
tie-rod ends - could be OK, will require inspection, same as ball joint (ball joint are hard to change anyway - they are pressed)
LCA - compliance bushings might require inspection, if this is OK, they others might be.
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

Okay i was just wondering cuz i read somewhere (yahoo answers i think) that if you're lowering 2.5" or less then all you need are new springs and i wasn't sure
Old 01-05-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DarkSouljur
Okay i was just wondering cuz i read somewhere (yahoo answers i think) that if you're lowering 2.5" or less then all you need are new springs and i wasn't sure
Thats a joke, good example of why not to trust yahoo answers.

A 2.5 inch drop on worn suspension components could lead to parts failing and you would have severe camber issues.

The reason the list is a bit extensive is that dropping your car is very hard on the suspension, so when you go to do it if your parts are already older they will wear out rapidly and that could be dangerous. LCA bushings always fail on 7th gens, tie rods are usually damaged during spring install but you might get away with the stock ones and ball joints you might get away with if your current ones are in good condition.
Old 01-05-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

If you just plan to do a set 1.5" drop, Tokikos, tein S tech, and alignment would probably be all you need, you can make due without a camber kit

That's what i've been planning
And depends on how worn your ball joints...bearings, etc are, you dont exactly have to replace them, though it would be recommended by everyone
Old 01-05-2011
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

Why beat the crap out of your car just so it looks cool? I don't get it... Is there even 2.5 wheel gap inches to loose? Stock suspension all the way buddy.
Old 01-05-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Because it sits like a 4X4 on stock suspension
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

I was really never planning on dropping it, but if it wasn't too expensive i might aswell, the only thing i'm wondering is cost. I know absolutely nothing about dropping other than it lowers your car lol So figure wise, approximately how much would i be looking at to drop? cuz i don't have too much money to spend :P
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

iridehonda is an unknown quantity at this point

Get some racelands or rokkors and call it a day.
Old 01-05-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by DarkSouljur
I was really never planning on dropping it, but if it wasn't too expensive i might aswell, the only thing i'm wondering is cost. I know absolutely nothing about dropping other than it lowers your car lol So figure wise, approximately how much would i be looking at to drop? cuz i don't have too much money to spend :P
Part of dropping is maintenance, your ball joints and such will need to be replaced at some point anyway, you just need to replace them now because a lowered car abuses parts so you need to new parts that can take it. Assuming everything is getting near the end of it's life, which it probably is, here's an approximate price list..

Tokico Blues: $375
Strut Bearings: $40
Strut Mounts: $60
Dust Boots: $40
Tein S.Tech: $150
Lower Ball Joints: $100
Outer Tie Rod Ends: $100
LCA Bushings: $50
Camber Kit: $175
Alignment: $100
Shop labour for pressed in parts: $100

Total: $1290, for a proper drop DIY'd. You might not need every part, but you probably need most of them.

Originally Posted by iridehonda
Get some racelands or rokkors and call it a day.
No, thats a terrible idea, not only are those garbage coil overs but to lower safely you still need to replace the parts mentioned. Don't contradict everyone else's advice just because you think you know better.

Tie Rod End Failure: lose ability to steer.
Complete LCA bushing Failure: lose ability to steer.
Ball Joint Failure: Wheel Snaps off, major damage to body, suspension, possibly frame, rims...
No Camber kit: Lose ability to align tires properly, burn through tires and major under steer problems.
Drop on Stock Struts: Terrible ride, poor performance, rapid blow out of struts.
Old 01-05-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Do all of those things need to be changed/replaced or whatever, even if I want to do a small drop like .5 inches?
Old 01-05-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by Brian1037
Do all of those things need to be changed/replaced or whatever, even if I want to do a small drop like .5 inches?
The lower you go the more stress you put on your stock suspension. If you only go down .5 inches or .8 inches with tein h-techs, you should be fine with pretty much all stock parts as long as none of the parts listed are already on their way out already.

Other than the camber kit, everything on that list is a wear item that will need to be replaced at some point regardless.
Old 01-05-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the info. Seems like a big job... something I'd get done at a shop. I'm sure they'd know what I need and don't need.. but it's useful finding out first to avoid getting ripped off.
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

EM2 Rookie is an unknown quantity at this point

In my opinion (what i did with my 2002 2 door civic ex)
is i bought it with cut springs already installed (were on for an amazingly bumpy 2 days0
i removed the bleh suspension
installed new shocks in the frnt, with new bearings n mounts, n used old rear shocks, and slaped on eibac sportlines, i love my ride confort, not bumpy, can get proper alignment, n only for around 300 dollars, wrk done by a group of good friends and i
but i am planing on putting d2's for dump status, but all my suspension is still in mint shape since the guy i bought it from had it for a few weeks on cut springs n not years
so in my case a set of new OEM shocks for frnt, and old shocks in rear on eibac springs
just my 6 cents
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

Well after reading everything i've come to the conclusion ... there's no way in hell i'm dropping my car anytime soon haha. I'm saving up for uni, i don't have anywhere near $1000 to spend lowering my car. I'm fine with stock suspension (for now at least). If i win the lottery or something, i'll probably do it

Thanks for the help everyone
Old 01-05-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I gave you rep for listening to our advice, instead of just buying cheap ebay springs and throwing them like most people would. There's always a cheap way to do things, but it's rarely ever the right way.

Uni is a much better thing to spend money on anyways, thats why my car is mostly stock lol
Old 01-06-2011
Registered!!

Haha thanks alot man
Old 01-08-2011
Registered!!

iridehonda is an unknown quantity at this point

Calling Racelands and Rokkors garbage? They are not at all garbage for someone who wants a decent drop for their DD at a reasonable price. Keep spewing bullshit without knowing any facts.
Old 01-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by iridehonda
Calling Racelands and Rokkors garbage? They are not at all garbage for someone who wants a decent drop for their DD at a reasonable price. Keep spewing bullshit without knowing any facts.
Keep it civil. I was harsh with my response, because dropping without upgrading/maintaining is a sticking point of mine. My apologies.

I'll admit, some people with race land and rokkors have had success with them, but I've also heard of people with major problems. Theres a reason they cost 1/3 of the price of most other companies least expensive models. This is pointless anyway, since they only manufacture coil overs for the ep3 and I'll bet he's driving an em2.
Old 01-08-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

my advice, dont cheap out on suspension and brakes, the two most important parts of a car that keep you from dying. thats one thing i would never do is compromise my safety and handling just to save a buck.
Old 01-08-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gearbox
my advice, dont cheap out on suspension and brakes, the two most important parts of a car that keep you from dying. thats one thing i would never do is compromise my safety and handling just to save a buck.
you skipped the first, the tires
Old 01-08-2011
Person

lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

Hey Mindbomber, what's your opinion on Progress coilovers?
Old 04-01-2016
Registered!!

SammySC has a spectacular aura aboutSammySC has a spectacular aura about

sorry old thread :-(

Last edited by SammySC; 04-14-2016 at 11:16 AM. Reason: old thread
Old 04-01-2016
Registered!!

sorry old thread

Last edited by SammySC; 04-14-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-02-2016
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

five year old thread man.
Old 04-02-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
five year old thread man.