7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tinted windows, rocking seat and maybe more

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough
Tinted windows, rocking seat and maybe more

First off, sorry for making so many threads. So I'll make this one and just keep all my questions in here from now on, and bump when I have a new question or whatever.

So firstly, I hate my perfectly clear windows. As I was walking through Canadian Tire one day, I saw some DIY window tint. Should I even bother with that? It looked pretty cheap, and I don't want any bubbles appearing in a few years. Does the Honda dealership offer window tinting? Otherwise, I'm not really sure where I'd go to get it done.

Second, I have a rocking seat. Every time I brake, my seat rocks forward, and every time I accelerate, my seat gets thrown backwards. Now at first this was enjoyable because it made my 117hp seem more like 900hp as I was violently thrown around the car, but now it's gotten quite tiresome. I think I remember reading about other Civic's with this problem, but it wasn't easy to fix. Can I just throw in some washers somewhere under the seat to even things out? And what's exactly turning my seat into a roller coaster anyway? I don't quite have the money for new seats atm.

Oh yes I thought of something else. Is there a list somewhere of all the fluids and other things that need to be maintained and when? I know I eventually have to change my tranny fluid but I don't know when. Just wondering if someone's thrown together a list of everything that needs to get changed and when.

Thanks dudes.
Old 01-03-2011
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough
Re: Tinted windows, rocking seat and maybe more

Dont tint your own windows, find a window tinter in your area. The rocking seat DIY is on here somewhere. I replace all 4 shims on my rocking chair and the rock comes back with in 6 months but about half as bad. Then, I welded the thing down at the lowest height position and now no more rocking, ever.

Fluids: brake, clutch, anitfreeze, power steering, motor oil, tranny oil, washer fluid Thats it.
Old 01-03-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Prodresurgence
Dont tint your own windows, find a window tinter in your area. The rocking seat DIY is on here somewhere. I replace all 4 shims on my rocking chair and the rock comes back with in 6 months but about half as bad. Then, I welded the thing down at the lowest height position and now no more rocking, ever.

Fluids: brake, clutch, anitfreeze, power steering, motor oil, tranny oil, washer fluid Thats it.
That's a brilliant idea. I have a friend who's a welder who might be willing to do it for me.

Does that mean you can't adjust it anymore though (sliding back and forth)?
Old 01-03-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah welding the height adjustment mechanism is really the only option without throwing away the seat and going aftermarket. once you start to take the seat apart, you will see how it works under those plastic covers. ofcourse you wont have height adjust anymore so pick your fav position lol. i like lowest in mine. you can still recline the seat and move it front/back, but not up/down with that wheel on the side (if you have EX).
Old 01-03-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Ahh ok. I have an LX so I don't have that little wheel. I'll take it apart and see what can be welded or not. Thanks for suggesting this!
Old 01-03-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Yup, DO NOT tint your own windows.
It looks really simple, like anyone could do it, but it's actually extremely difficult to do.

Fluid changes
Auto trans: Once per year, 3 quart drain and fill, only OEM Honda ATF.
Brake fluid: Once every 2 years, any DOT 3 fluid.
Coolant/Anti-Freeze: Once every 3-5 years, doesn't need to be OEM Honda, but the mix needs to be correct if you use after market.
Power Steering fluid: No schedule given by Honda, I do it once every 2 years, only Honda Fluid.
Air Filters: Once per year, unless you drive in extreme conditions. I vacuum mine with a shop vac every time I change my oil and it makes a difference.
Spark Plugs: Could last as long as 100k/km, just wait until they're fouled.
Other maintenance: =>https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-up-mods.html
Old 01-03-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Thanks! we posted at the same time lol. You guys are so helpful
Old 01-03-2011
Banned

Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Brian1037
That's a brilliant idea. I have a friend who's a welder who might be willing to do it for me.

Does that mean you can't adjust it anymore though (sliding back and forth)?
Everything still functions, except the height, but I always kept it in the lowest position anways because I'm tall. So like GearBox said find your spot then weld it. You can just tack weld it too doesnt need to be a beautiful bead so if you can borrow a small mig kit you'd be able to handle it. Google the basics of welding for more info on that.
Old 01-03-2011
Registered!!

iridehonda is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you keep your VTEC fluid filled up too.
Old 01-03-2011
Person

lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by iridehonda
Make sure you keep your VTEC fluid filled up too.
thats funny
Old 01-03-2011
Registered!!

canadiankid is an unknown quantity at this point

if your looking for a local tinting shop try going on your local kijiji and searching for local "auto tinting" or "window tinting" or something else along those lines, i know where i live there are people who do glass work professionally and also do tinting on the side for cheap aswell.

also you have an LX but no hight adjuster wheel?
Old 01-03-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by canadiankid
if your looking for a local tinting shop try going on your local kijiji and searching for local "auto tinting" or "window tinting" or something else along those lines, i know where i live there are people who do glass work professionally and also do tinting on the side for cheap aswell.

I would suggest searching online for a local car club/forum and searching for reviews of local shops, kijji and google reviews are sketchy compared to those given by fellow enthusiasts. Thats how I find every shop I go to, whether it be for tire mounting, window tinting, paint or even where to order parts.
Old 01-03-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Am I supposed to have a height wheel? i have a canadian lx, if that makes any difference.
Old 01-03-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

lx should not have it, but it can still rock lol.
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

would the height adjuster wheel have not of been offered on the LX for the em2 because i have an 01 canadian LX and i have a height adjuster wheel.
Old 01-05-2011
Premium Member

in canada anything is possible lol. their models are completely different than usa. their SE is like a DX, but our SE is like limited edition with tons of extra stuff on top of the usual EX features. i think the LX in canada was offered as a "sport" version and maybe thats what you have?
Old 01-05-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Well I've always been confused by the differences in the Canadian and American civic trim levels. I technically have a 2005 Civic LX-G. I have a D17A1 engine, and pretty much everything on the inside (except that fancy seat height adjust apparently). So, sunroof, heated mirrors, cruise control, a/c, and something that's not often seen in Quebec, turn signals.

Now which American trim is my equivalent, I've no idea.
Old 01-05-2011
Registered!!

amamdani15 will become famous soon enoughamamdani15 will become famous soon enough

dont get your windows tinted right now...its better to wait until it heats up because they spray water/baby shampoo behind the tint and it will dry faster and stick better to your windows.

i usually use craigslist and find someone who has been tinting windows for 8+ years. if they have been doing it for that long and are still in business its probably because they are doing a good job imo.
Old 01-06-2011
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough

^^^ What he said.^^^

Wait until the weather warms to add tint.
The door windows are stupid easy to tint! The rear window is the pain in the *** due to it being a compound curve.

Nathan
Old 01-06-2011
Sedans > Coupes

alright thanks for the advice. ill wait till the spring before getting the shiznitt tinted
Old 01-08-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
in canada anything is possible lol. their models are completely different than usa. their SE is like a DX, but our SE is like limited edition with tons of extra stuff on top of the usual EX features. i think the LX in canada was offered as a "sport" version and maybe thats what you have?
i am sure that mine is an LX, i know that it is not a SPORT though because i have seen a few around my town and they all have a spoiler, alloys and sport badge on the rear bumper opposite the side where the civic badge is. Maybe the first owner of the car had the height adjuster wheel as an ad on or something haha, it's so confusing with the differences in trim levels from CDM to USDM lol.
Old 01-12-2011
Sedans > Coupes

haha so today i opened my door and a i saw something i had never seen before.... the seat hight adjuster! i dont know how i missed it all 500 times i had gotten into the car before... but somehow i did. lol i have a seat adjuster! this is quite a great day.

sorry for the... incorrect info... earlier lol. i honestly cant believe how i never knew i had one.
Old 01-12-2011
Registered!!

haha, yea i was starting to wonder if the canadian LX diddnt come with the height adjuster wheel. i was wondering how my car had one haha.
Old 01-12-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

i am sure that mine is an LX, i know that it is not a SPORT though because i have seen a few around my town and they all have a spoiler, alloys and sport badge on the rear bumper opposite the side where the civic badge is. Maybe the first owner of the car had the height adjuster wheel as an ad on or something haha, it's so confusing with the differences in trim levels from CDM to USDM lol.
Sport was like basically a special edition model, I believe it has the D17a, but came with a spoiler, alloys, sport badge and maybe the sunroof...

I remember looking at the sport model at the dealer and thinking it was pointless, because it has the base engine.
Old 01-12-2011
Registered!!

yea im pretty sure they have different alloy's from the 5spoke ones that came on the canadian SI. Now that you say it i think that they might have sunroofs
Old 01-12-2011
Registered!!

FrankMazzarella is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an 04 lx with the height wheel. It was built in canada but I own the car in america