7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

HELP...I cant figure this out...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dyar is an unknown quantity at this point
HELP...I cant figure this out...

So i got in a car accident not too long ago and my cars been weird for a while. I finally got the car running normally but now it makes a weird sound when i drive. The engine seems fine, the noise sounds like its coming from the tire area. When i hit about 40 mph theres a high pitchy sound from the tire area and some of the times the tire rattles. when i reach 50 it goes away and the noise starts again at about 70 mph but with no rattle.

so far Ive checked all the wheel bearing and they were all fine. Im planning on getting an alignment soon, and after that im pretty much outta ideas...

Any suggestions??

thanks...btw i own a 03 civic coupe..

Last edited by Dyar; 12-29-2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: i forgot to say what kind of car it is..
Old 12-29-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HELP...I cant figure this out...

are the wheels balanced? also the tires could have flat spots if you were sliding from the accident.
Old 12-29-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Balance could be the issue, or warped rotor
Old 12-29-2010
Registered!!

I just checked and the tires were balanced, also i didn't slide so there's no flat spot...is it possible that the tie rod might be loose and causing the rattle??
Old 12-29-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

alot of suspension parts can be damaged in accidents and cause rattle. start by checking the front sway bar endlinks to see if one or both are broken.
Old 12-29-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

also check for scrub marks in the suspension components, while tuirning the wheel - the tires might be scrubbing against something.
Old 12-30-2010
Registered!!

thanks everybody. I appreciate the help.

I gave up and took it to the mechanic and he said the sound is most likely coming from the bearings. I wanted to know if its safe to drive with the bearings being the way they are? Do they absolutely need to be replaced or can i just deal with the sound.. thanks in advance.
Old 12-31-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt leave anything to chance with the wheels/suspension if i were you

Not a very smart idea.
It's what separates your car and the ground :3
Old 12-31-2010
Premium Member

well, the wheel could fall off lol. no joke

also, what makes him think its the wheel bearing? usually they make a loud growling, squealing, or grinding sound. they dont cause vibration if bad. jack up the car and try to wiggle the front tire back and forth while holding it from the top and bottom. if there is play, bearing is bad. you should also turn the wheel by hand (in neutral) and listen closely for any scraping noises.

Last edited by gearbox; 12-31-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-31-2010
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough

Where did the car get hit?
Any pics of the damage?

Nathan
Old 12-31-2010
Registered!!

lol aight so i should probably take care of it soon. So I'm looking for front wheel bearings online and I'm a little confused. All the ones i'm looking at say "with abs". I don't think my car has abs and i don't see any saying "without abs". Does it mean that it will fit for cars with and without abs???
Old 12-31-2010
Registered!!

oo and the accident was from the front, right down the middle. i was to sad to take pics....
Old 01-02-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dyar
lol aight so i should probably take care of it soon. So I'm looking for front wheel bearings online and I'm a little confused. All the ones i'm looking at say "with abs". I don't think my car has abs and i don't see any saying "without abs". Does it mean that it will fit for cars with and without abs???
Should all be the same. #4: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/south...t=0&quantity=0