7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1st time civic owner! Hello!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lagamm is an unknown quantity at this point
1st time civic owner! Hello!

Hello
Last week I purchased a 2004 Honda civic dx, 4 door, automatic sedan with 64,000miles on the odometer. Came with new tires and brakes! Reason I bought this is because I wanted a good reliable commuter car with great gas mileage and reliable. I wanted to keep the miles off my FUN car and gas prices they way they are now are killing me. I was spending about $100 a week in gas and the civic has cut that down so much so it’s almost paying for itself. Plus $500 for full coverage insurance for the year is good too.

Well I have worked on my ex-girlfriends Honda Odyssey and did a timing belt, plugs and tie rod ends. Her v6 had 159,000 on the odometer and it ran perfect. I was so impressed that I bought a civic because of it.

Well the type of guy I am I can’t leave anything alone so here is a list of stuff I have done and planning on doing soon.

Done!!!!

**WeatherTech Floor Liners (tan) Nice!!!!!
** Kenwood KDC-X994 Head unit
**Plugs and air filter
** Remote car starter (yay)
** Silverstar Ultra 9006 headlight bulbs (much brighter)
** Leather cover for the horrible feeling stock steering wheel.

Need to do!

*** KYB GR2 kit (shocks and struts!) Stock ones are done for! Most likely will replace tie rod ends and ball joints since everything will be apart and it’s easy to do and cheap $$$. Might look at a slightly larger rear sway if the KYB don’t correct the massive amount of oversteer but I really think its from the rear shocks being gone!!!!

***System, I have about $3000 into the system in my “fun” car and only can take the stock speakers so long. Going cheaper with Polk MM’s up front (no rears) and a Rockford Fosgate P3 10” sub in a ported/sealed (not sure which one yet) box. All powered by a Kicker 550.3 amp (3channel amp 85w rms frt, 420watts rms sub)
Head unit will be the Kenwood excelon X994 that’s already installed.

***Nice black/tan saddleblanket frt seat covers ($160.00)

*** Eventually get better tires than the POS no name brand that the dealer put on. Going with Yokohama AVID 185/70-14 rocking black steelies with covers.

As for my Toy/ Fun car! I have a 2008 Subaru STI (35,000miles) Stage 2 tune with full 3” turboback exhaust and AEM CAI. It is pushing close to 350bhp and 360ftlb torque. That’s at the crank. Next year I’m planning on a turbo upgrade to a Blouch Dominator 2.5 xtr ball bearing stock mount turbo. With supporting mod and I plan on running a 50/50 meth/water kit I should be pushing around 400-450whp. Really depends on the dyno but my goal is around 400 wheel hp or about 500hp at the crank.

Let me just say driving the civic everyday gives me much more appreciation toward my STI.

So lastly, is their anything I have to watch out for with my civic?
Old 12-16-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: 1st time civic owner! Hello!

Welcome to the site, its great to have such a knowledgeable person join!

If your interested in a bit of a handling improvement Tokico HP struts are only slightly more expensive than the KYB GR2s and are a big upgrade to handling. Energy suspension LCA bushings are also an inexpensive and great upgrade. The worst mechanical issue with 7thgen civics is the automatic transmissions, the LCA bushings and motor mount bushings fail quickly, but you can repair those for $30.

Consider starting a build thread for your STi, just like every car forum we're all obsessed with pictures here lol!
Old 12-16-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, pictures!!!

welcome to the forums though, Sounds like you know what you're doing, but this forum is here to support and criticize (if need be)

If any questions, post away!

And enjoy your stay

PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2010
Person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the club!
Old 12-16-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lagamm
Let me just say driving the civic everyday gives me much more appreciation toward my STI.
until you see the gas reserve light coming on
Welcome!
we have a weird type of humor, so don't mind that
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

Welcome, and u seem to know a lot, so go
Easy on losers like me who at just starting to learn all this car stuff but hey im working a minimum wage job, and I'm 19, the best I can do is a civic, u make it sound terrible compared to ur Sti, don't make me feel bad lol
Old 12-17-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

PS. Some side notes

Good find on a 60k 7th gen

And for sounds system, how much better are the polk MM series compared to the db series? they are about triple the price lol.
and smart idea with only fronts/no rears

I suggest a sealed 12" because the civic is capable of handling the 12", and sealed sounds really nice inside the vic.
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
PS. Some side notes

Good find on a 60k 7th gen

And for sounds system, how much better are the polk MM series compared to the db series? they are about triple the price lol.
and smart idea with only fronts/no rears

I suggest a sealed 12" because the civic is capable of handling the 12", and sealed sounds really nice inside the vic.
Just put it this way. I have the Polk 6.5" SR series in my STI so the MM are a step down. Plus i'm going with the MM 6.5" coaxials which are cheaper than the comp set. I was thinking about doing a 12" sealed too but we shall see.

Need to do suspension 1st. Thanks to the person that recommended the Tokico HP struts. I never heard of them but they seem really good. Is $425.00 shipped a good price of all 4 or is there anyplace thats cheaper.
I'm still amazed on how cheap parts are for this car. **** the cheapest good brake pads for my STI were $90 (stoptech). Then again it comes with 4 piston Brembo's and 13" rotors stock.
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DarkSouljur
Welcome, and u seem to know a lot, so go
Easy on losers like me who at just starting to learn all this car stuff but hey im working a minimum wage job, and I'm 19, the best I can do is a civic, u make it sound terrible compared to ur Sti, don't make me feel bad lol

The civic is not terrible it's just (in stock form) a regular car. The STI is an amazing car and almost 3 times the HP and handles like its on rails and has all wheel drive.

When I drove my STI all week I was used to it and didnt apriciate it as much for what it is. Now everytime I hop into it, it's like the 1st time.

It's like your dating a really hot chick but you dont think she that hot because your with her all the time. Then she dumps you and you see her a few months later and realize how hot she was and what a good ride you were missing. LOL!
Old 12-17-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I suggested the Tokicos

Mine were $375 shipped from a company on Ebay, if you search around for a bit I'm sure you'll be able to find the same price. The company was from Texas, but I can't find the exact name in my email or paypal records..
Old 12-17-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Hahahaha, what a good analogy

But I dont know how you can justify spending 500+ on just a pair of speakers,
But i guess that's your choice and money lol

I am already amazingly happy with my db6501's
And I have a JL 12w3v2 in my trunk sealed, and my friends say they can hear my coming down the street 3 blocks away lol....
Doubt it, but it sounds solid inside the vic

I'd get a 12w3v3 in a sealed in your vic, you'll love it, not too over the top, but not under either
Old 12-17-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

The civic is not terrible it's just (in stock form) a regular car. The STI is an amazing car and almost 3 times the HP and handles like its on rails and has all wheel drive.

When I drove my STI all week I was used to it and didnt apriciate it as much for what it is. Now everytime I hop into it, it's like the 1st time.

It's like your dating a really hot chick but you dont think she that hot because your with her all the time. Then she dumps you and you see her a few months later and realize how hot she was and what a good ride you were missing. LOL!
tell me.
I drove my 01 miata last month after 9 months apart... the suspension of a miata is amazing... even with the flat spots for 9 months in the garage...
should be driving it next week again!
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Hahahaha, what a good analogy

But I dont know how you can justify spending 500+ on just a pair of speakers,
But i guess that's your choice and money lol

I am already amazingly happy with my db6501's
And I have a JL 12w3v2 in my trunk sealed, and my friends say they can hear my coming down the street 3 blocks away lol....
Doubt it, but it sounds solid inside the vic

I'd get a 12w3v3 in a sealed in your vic, you'll love it, not too over the top, but not under either

Have a 10w3v3 sealed in my STI with my polk SR powered by an Alpine PDX-150.4 (150watts rms x4) the rear channels are bridge to run the JL and the front channels run the SR's (no rears). Anyone who knows anything about high end audio and sound stage will never run rear speakers. It will destroy your soundstage.

As for the Jl W3 i honestly like the SQ allot but i'm dissapointed in output. Only because my last car I was running a 10w7 in a ported monster box with a JL 500/1 amp. That thing was increadable SQ and pounded.

For my civic i didnt want to spend that much $$ on a sub in my research i've read some awsome things about RF stage 3 (P3) subs. So i'm going with one of those. I can get it cheaper than the W3 too! I really should have never sold that JL 10W7. Best sub I have ever heard peroid! And I have owned and installed allot of them.

For pics I will try to take some of the civic soon and try to dig up some of the STI next week. I have a youtube video of my exhaust reving on my STI that i will post too but i'm at work and that sight is blocked now.
Old 12-19-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Have a 10w3v3 sealed in my STI with my polk SR powered by an Alpine PDX-150.4 (150watts rms x4) the rear channels are bridge to run the JL and the front channels run the SR's (no rears). Anyone who knows anything about high end audio and sound stage will never run rear speakers. It will destroy your soundstage.

As for the Jl W3 i honestly like the SQ allot but i'm dissapointed in output. Only because my last car I was running a 10w7 in a ported monster box with a JL 500/1 amp. That thing was increadable SQ and pounded.

For my civic i didnt want to spend that much $$ on a sub in my research i've read some awsome things about RF stage 3 (P3) subs. So i'm going with one of those. I can get it cheaper than the W3 too! I really should have never sold that JL 10W7. Best sub I have ever heard peroid! And I have owned and installed allot of them.

For pics I will try to take some of the civic soon and try to dig up some of the STI next week. I have a youtube video of my exhaust reving on my STI that i will post too but i'm at work and that sight is blocked now.
The only reason your W3 is sounding bad is because of your alpine amp, if you get a JL 500/1v2 for that baby, it will shine.

And obviously the W3 is a HUGE downgrade from a W7, if you've ever had a W7 you can never go back
And if you had a JL 1000/1 for the W7....-drool-...ehh, sorry, it would sound amazing. I have a bunch of car audio fanatic friends. One of them has a Infiniti G37 with JL 1000/1 and 12W7, made me jizz almost

And I know what you're talking about with the rear speakers, even though I dont have a big as budget as most people, I have Polk db6051's in the front, Sealed JL W3v2 in the trunk, and no rear speakers
But i've been debating to drill some holes in my rear deck panel to install 1" tweeters. I think it would complete my setup for now.