7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Recovery after body shop visit

Old 12-16-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Recovery after body shop visit

We all know that sometimes body shop repairs are necessary. but what happens once you get the car back? the entire paint, windows, lights, and trim is covered in course "sanding dust" that does not wipe or wash off. when you run your hand over the paint, you can hear a scraping sound like sandpaper. this is not good. a quick fix to get most of the mess off is a good claybar kit (claymagic is one of the best). you simply give your car a wash using the clay as a sponge. keep the paint wet using detail spray of your choice (i prefer adam's detail spray). go over each panel several times with the clay, then wipe off the detailer with a dry microfiber. for heavily troubled spots, you may need to repeat the clay step if you can still hear your hand moving across the paint. when you get it smooth enough, it should be silent. do the whole car and the heads/tails. keep turning the clay or mashing it so you are using a clean piece. you will see alot of dirt being sucked into the clay and prolly will use the entire bar. just use 1/3 of the bar at a time so you are not wasting the whole thing if you drop it. if you are satisfied with the finish, you can either apply a liquid polish to make sure and get any spots you may have missed (i like adams revive polish), or go straight to the wax (i like adams buttery wax). let the wax settle overnight, then its prolly a good idea to take your car to a pressure wash, the one you do by hand. this is to remove any detail spray from hidden cracks and crevice on the car while you were claying. just spray the car down with pressure water and do a spot free rinse. try to dry the car immediately to prevent spotting.
Old 12-16-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recovery after body shop visit

I typically use mothers claybar kit, or meguiars
Old 12-16-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

try claymagic, its really good stuff. i just finished today and the car is smooth as a babys bottom again haha. tomorrow i do rims and tires, then maybe start on the underbody and repaint the exhaust. the clay is really useful for those lips on the bumper that get tons of road debris and tar stuck on them. unfortunately you have to throw the clay away, basically $15 for a piece of clay. but it got the job done. i didnt even use the detailer it came with cause i have a whole jug of better stuff.
Old 12-16-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I was debating on whether to go to a craft store to buy some soft clay....

My autobody friend says he uses the stuff all the time with soapy water, works the same he says.
Old 12-16-2010
Premium Member

i dont see why it would be different i guess. clay is clay, but if it is not a pure batch (has rocks inside) you might have second thoughts lol. im surprised the clay still worked in the freezing cold. felt like a piece of ice and very rigid, but it took off pretty much all the dust. worked really well on the windows not only removing the thick dust but leaving the glass super smooth even better than before. i gotta remember to give the windows an occasional claying when they get dirty.
Old 12-16-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Yep definately, especially if you have moon roof, that takes all the tree sap, road grime and whatever's on it

I think im going to wait till my cars starts feeling rough again, and head over to a craft store to buy the soft clay (they dont have rocks in em) :P

one thing that claybars dont take off effectively is overspray...I just take a small razor blade and that does the trick
Old 12-17-2010
Premium Member

overspray sucks! glad i didnt have much this time, altho there were some areas i had to run some extra polish over. have you used turtle wax liquid clay bar before? the triple layer formula version you have to shake up. that stuff is amazing if you have stubborn spots or stains that nothing gets out. i even polished down some clear coat overspray on some areas. it has clay suspended in car wash solution and stain remover. its also great as a mild metal polish (i use it on our metal dishwasher door lol). much less messy and smelly compared to metal polish. i need to use this stuff under my bumpers and lips. after a while the dirt really gets packed on and hard to remove.
Old 12-17-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Yea the Ice shyt right?
I dont really like how it has like 50 bottles, but i guess they all do different stuff lol
Works pretty good with some stuck on crap
Old 12-18-2010
Banned

chris18812 is an unknown quantity at this point

yes i also agree with you