7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2001 Civic LX Oil Leak from up TOP.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
big2000dave is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Civic LX Oil Leak from up TOP.

I have a 2001 Civic LX with 220,000 miles on it. My engine didn't start leaking until winter of last year, stopped in the spring and summer, and began again this fall when it started getting cold. The leak seems to be beginning at the top of the engine right under the left side of the valve cover; however, no apparent valve cover leaks. I have included pics. Any thoughts??? Thanks for any help.

Old 12-05-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 Civic LX Oil Leak from up TOP.

looks like its coming from the round cam/head plug
Old 12-05-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
looks like its coming from the round cam/head plug
Is that an expensive/difficult diy job?
Old 12-05-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well i know you cannot simply pop it out since there are grooves locked into the valve cover. at the very least i think valve cover has to come off. ive never done it so not too sure. but taking the valve cover off is fairly simple. i cant tell if the top half is part of the valve cover or the cylinder head.
Old 12-05-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
well i know you cannot simply pop it out since there are grooves locked into the valve cover. at the very least i think valve cover has to come off. ive never done it so not too sure. but taking the valve cover off is fairly simple. i cant tell if the top half is part of the valve cover or the cylinder head.
Planned to tackle my timing belt service this weekend. This seems to be the perfect oportunity to change that cap too. I will also be changing the valve cover gasket, so getting that done should be fairly easy. Will be posting a howto or details of this service.
Old 12-05-2010
Premium Member

its #6 cylinder head plug. im not sure excactly, but it seems like you may need to remove the rocker arm assembly to get it off. that might make it alot harder to change. cause if you mess something up with the cam and valves you could have serious problems.

Old 12-05-2010
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough

I replaced that plug on my wifes car eight months ago.
It simply pops out using a flat head screwdriver. Put some oil on the o-ring of the new one and pop it in.
I think it cost less than $5.
Old 12-06-2010
Premium Member

good to know thanks!
Old 12-06-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Biscuit
I replaced that plug on my wifes car eight months ago.
It simply pops out using a flat head screwdriver. Put some oil on the o-ring of the new one and pop it in.
I think it cost less than $5.
Did you have to pry up the valve cover? The plug look for be below it where the valve cover wouldn't be a factor.
Old 12-08-2010
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Don't do anything to the valve cover.
Just pop the plug out with a screwdriver.
Have a rag under the plug to catch the small amount of oil that will leak out.
It really is that easy.

Nathan
Old 12-09-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Don't do anything to the valve cover.
Just pop the plug out with a screwdriver.
Have a rag under the plug to catch the small amount of oil that will leak out.
It really is that easy.

Nathan
Cheapest oil leak fix i've ever heard of. Thanks for all the advice. Will be documenting my fix this weekend and sending it here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/big2000dave
Old 12-10-2010
Registered!!

ExistEvolution is on a distinguished road

timing belt is easy, but make sure you have the specialty tool for removing crank pulley because an air gun will not budge the bolt (i used a 1200 ft/lbs impact) 120psi
Old 12-28-2010
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Any updates on the oil leak? Is it fixed?
I saw your fuel injector video and can say that this oil leak will be an easy repair for you.

Nathan
Old 02-17-2011
Registered!!

victypes is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah any updates?? please.
I also have the same issue. so i guess need to replace the seal.

I am still curious why does this happen??
We usually drive the car for small trips and low speeds but couple days ago I drove about 100 miles on highway at around 70 to 80 mph and then saw his leak. Seems like oil pressure was very high that it popped the seal OR is there could be another reason something to do with camshaft?? The car runs fine for now and havent leaked again but then again only drove around town below 50mph for past 2 days.
Also when I start the car in the morning the rpm is almost 2k and eventually drops as engine gets warm. Is this normal??
I do not intend to thread jack, just similar probelm so bringing this one back to life. Also this is my first post here so will only get better.
Thanks in advance for any help
Old 02-21-2011
2001 Civic LX Sedan

O-rings wear out. They degrade over time being subjected to the harsh environment of an engine. That o-ring is in a hot nasty environment and asking it to last more than 10 years is too much.
The camshaft has nothing to do with that o-ring.
Oil pressure has nothing to do with that o-ring. It's not a part of the oiling system (contained and pressurized).

Nathan
Old 02-16-2012
I spent 1425 points to do this.

SOHC is an unknown quantity at this point

ive got this problem too on my 2001 lx coupe.. ive got about 150k on it now. ive had it since day 1, with almost now probs. the only other one i had was a crank sensor that went bad.

im happy to see that this plug fix is so easy, im going to try to get away without using the hondabond. i cant justify spending all that $ on a big tube of that stuff that ill never use again!! I will use RTV or some other gasket sealer.

FYI the part number for this is:

12513-P72-003 PLUG, CYLINDER $9.44

direct link to youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1yzb...wS8v-mAbl64WV4

Last edited by SOHC; 02-16-2012 at 09:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

manchester huh you going to the CCSU car show ???
Old 04-03-2014
Registered!!

pavlodeneka is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

I have a problem with my Honda Civic 2003. I cannot figure out where it has an oil leak. Few moths ago I changed the gasket on V-Tec solenoid valve. I thought that the oil was coming from there but no. Yesterday I replaced the cam seal plug, by using some gasket silicone. This morning, after starting the car and running around 5 minutes I checked if there is any oil on the front of the engine and noticed some oil flow. I still went to work, regardless. I don't know if it is new oil or just some oil that left under the cap. There was no oil spilled during the plug change as I put some cloth under. Here is the picture attached of the cam seal before it replacing. I am desperate.

Old 04-03-2014
Registered!!

7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd replace the camseal plug with the genuine OEM one its only six dollars. I think the tickmarks on the plug itself should be completely horizontal- aka parallel to 3:00 and 9:00 so that it kinda snaps into its seat.
Honda Part No: 12513-P72-003

I'm assuming your EGR valve is properly removed and not totally MIA.

Could be a small head gasket leak that's visually hard to tell. Give the head/block area a good cleaning, and see where the oil flows from.
Old 04-03-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 7genmarathon
I'd replace the camseal plug with the genuine OEM one its only six dollars. I think the tickmarks on the plug itself should be completely horizontal- aka parallel to 3:00 and 9:00 so that it kinda snaps into its seat.

Could be a small head gasket leak that's visually hard to tell. Give the head/block area a good cleaning, and see where the oil flows from.
Thanks for quick response. I will try to clean it and put some paper towel and start the engine for few minutes. This way I will see exactly where the leak come from. Do you know how much money is to change the head gasket?

Pavlo
Old 04-03-2014
Registered!!

civicloco is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you didn't gouge the inside while wiping or removing the old one. This will almost always cause it to leak.
Old 04-03-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

One tip after redoing the cam plug:

1) clean ALL the oil from the leak area

2) spray some cheap foot powder spray where you think it's leaking from

3) drive some, then check the area. The white foot spray will show you exactly where the oil is coming from. It's easily cleanable and won't stain anything.

I'm not sure the cam plug is directional... mine is oriented just like the OPs, and it's sealing fine. I put a *touch* of Ultra Black under the lip of the seal 'head', just to provide redundant protection against a leak down the road. The sealant doesn't touch the o-ring.
Old 04-03-2014
Registered!!

I just checked the cam seal plug. I've put napkin underneath and started the engine. After I checked the napkin, it was totally dry, without any oil on it but oil appeared on the front of the engine under the head (((((( Seems like head gasket is bad or head is not tightened well. What do you think?
Old 04-03-2014
Registered!!

When you say front, do you mean the areas enclosed in orange? If not, is it above or below? Zoom in on the image if you can't see the orange lines.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve Cover.jpg
Views:	4930
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	86507  
Old 04-03-2014

kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think the leak is coming from the head gasket (ezone and other tech mods can confirm this for sure, though). More likely it's a valve cover gasket leak, as my '04 EX had a bad one up until this past weekend when I swapped it, and all leakage stopped.

Leaks happen commonly from cam plug (where a distributor used to live) and the front of the valve cover, simply due to being exposed to a lot of heat, and having oil pool right there. The nice thing is, if a cam plug lasts ten years from the factory before failing, you can expect same for the new one.

My situation might be rare, but I'll share it just in case it's the problem on your Civic...

On my VC gasket, there was a spot of corrosion that started in the valve cover gasket groove, like the blisters under paint you see on car bodies. Since the valve cover comes painted silver from the factory, corrosion bubbled up the paint in the groove, and caused a leak right above my exhaust headers. I knocked down the sharp edges and smoothed the blister in the groove, installed my new gasket atop it with a touch of Permatex Ultra Black sealer, and reinstalled the VC. No more leak... but since it's an active corrosion already happening, it'll be back. Hopefully by then, it'll already be put to pasture.
Old 04-03-2014
Registered!!

When you say front, do you mean the areas enclosed in orange? If not, is it above or below? Zoom in on the image if you can't see the orange lines.
No, not in orange. The leak coming from the place in red area from the side of the head.

HERE IS REAL PICTURES OF MY CAR:

Last edited by pavlodeneka; 04-03-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-03-2014

Unless the auto techs here have another explanation, that looks like just part of the cam plug oil leak. Remember that airflow through the engine compartment can blow oil all over the place.

See if the cam plug stops the oil after cleaning the oil leak THOROUGHLY... then use antifungal foot powder spray on the leak areas. If no oil spots on the foot powder, then there's your solution. If there's still oil marking the powder though... then perhaps a valve cover gasket that someone replaced without sealer on the sharp corners (around the cam holder casting).
Old 04-03-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

That shouldn't be a head gasket. That leak looks typical of the round plug....

but could be the VC gasket, the cam journal cap parting line, etc. Gotta start fresh and prove where the leak begins.

Which gasket got changed on the VTEC? (I think it can leak and run across the top of the bellhousing.)
Is the pool under the EGR housing, or on top of the housing?

Clean everything spotless (brake cleaner is wonderful stuff), dry it thoroughly and douse the whole area in white powder.

Right Guard smells better than foot powder.
Old 04-03-2014
Registered!!

I remember changing the Cam Plug on my Civic a few years back. It had a pool of accumulated oil on top/around the EGR that eventually made its way down toward the block and was virtually all over the tranny/starter-including the front where the engine series name is at.

Remove the resonator chamber if you get a chance and take a peek at the topside of your tranny. I'd be willing to bet your starter is completely covered in oil.
Old 04-03-2014

Originally Posted by ezone
Right Guard smells better than foot powder.
LOL yep! Hey if it works better, no complaints from me.

Quick Reply: 2001 Civic LX Oil Leak from up TOP.