7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Thinking about buying a 7th gen civic

Old 12-04-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about
Thinking about buying a 7th gen civic

Okay, so i havne't been here for a while. I used to drive my dad's 4-door civic LX and i really liked it. I'm more about style than performance, and i can do a lot to make a 7th gen civic look good. BUT since my dad won't let me do anything to the car i've decided to buy my own.

What i'm thinking about buying:

2002 civic si (Canadian, it's the ex coupe in US)
Transmission: Manual.

Now the only thing bugging me about it is the insurance, for some reason i'd be paying $250 a month just to insure that freaking car.

My next option was a prelude, but cons are that parts are harder to find, and that they are pretty heavy.

I don't like the look of the 6th gen civic so that isn't really an option for me.

Any idea what i should buy? Any other car suggestions would be appreciated, thanks
Old 12-04-2010
Registered!!

What_It_Do will become famous soon enough
Re: Thinking about buying a 7th gen civic

Hey, my regular insurance wanted $260 to insure this car. Full coverage.

Checked with Bel-air, $120 for same coverage. Fulfill your dreams! LOL

Get quotes from www.kanetix.ca
Old 12-04-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Preludes are much much more expensive to insure! When I got my 7th gen the insurance was $325 a month, I would have bought a lude but the insurance was close to $500
Old 12-04-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

maybe get the 7thgen sedan? coupe is too fast and sporty according to insurance company (lol). sedans are more family oriented and slow.
Old 12-04-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

As you get older it gets less expensive, I swear- as long as you keep your license clean and your credit decent. I'm paying $123/month for full coverage thru Progressive for the coupe.
Old 12-04-2010
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by What_It_Do
Hey, my regular insurance wanted $260 to insure this car. Full coverage.

Checked with Bel-air, $120 for same coverage. Fulfill your dreams! LOL

Get quotes from www.kanetix.ca
Ya, i got my quotes from kanetix, belair direct gave me the $260 quote, but i heard if you're a student you can get a discount, i'll have to call them up and see what they say, hopefully they'll give me a cheaper price.

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Preludes are much much more expensive to insure! When I got my 7th gen the insurance was $325 a month, I would have bought a lude but the insurance was close to $500
Weird, because when i did a quote online the prelude was coming up to $180 a month, while the 7th gen coupe was getting $260

Originally Posted by gearbox
maybe get the 7thgen sedan? coupe is too fast and sporty according to insurance company (lol). sedans are more family oriented and slow.
Lol i don't want a sedan because thats what my dad has, i've always wanted a coupe, and "apparently" the difference between sedan and coupe is only $18 a month (according to kanetix)

Originally Posted by lazlong
As you get older it gets less expensive, I swear- as long as you keep your license clean and your credit decent. I'm paying $123/month for full coverage thru Progressive for the coupe.
Thats a good price, it's weird, because like the difference between a 99' and an '02 is like $80, so it should go down every year as the car gets older, and like you said, if i keep my record clean i'll save more money
Old 12-04-2010
Registered!!

Hey sorry for the double post, but quick question before i go sleep...

I've heard a lot about like transmission failures in these civics. Can anyone ballpark a percent of cars that this affects? Should this stop me from buying a 7th gen?

Edit: I've been reading other threads, and i'm just wondering, does this failure affect manual cars or just automatic?

Last edited by DarkSouljur; 12-05-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-05-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DarkSouljur
...I've been reading other threads, and i'm just wondering, does this failure affect manual cars or just automatic?
Auto. Manual is a mixed bag, some have problems at 50K, most are still going strong at well over 100K. I'm at 190K now, being waiting for a bearing to go for two years now. lol
Old 12-05-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the auto trans should keep you from buying the car, yes
Old 12-05-2010
Registered!!

What_It_Do will become famous soon enough

Auto. Manual is a mixed bag, some have problems at 50K, most are still going strong at well over 100K. I'm at 190K now, being waiting for a bearing to go for two years now. lol
Really?
I got mine in a manual thinking that they were more reliable..

Oh well, still probably better than any automatic GM product.

Edit: Oh sorry, misread post. Thought you had said manual fails more than auto.
My sister is at 130k miles on her 2002 auto, still shifts fine.
I haven't heard anything bad personally with these transmissions, but you'll always get those people who rape their vehicle.

Last edited by What_It_Do; 12-05-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-05-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

the auto trans should keep you from buying the car, yes
So out of curiosity, have you replaced your transmission yet?
Old 12-05-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Thats a good price, it's weird, because like the difference between a 99' and an '02 is like $80, so it should go down every year as the car gets older, and like you said, if i keep my record clean i'll save more money
Hehehe!
He meant when the driver gets older , not the car
mix young driver, coupe, civic and insurance automatically places you higher.
Add to mix that civic are considerably high on the stolen rates, insurance shoots up.
I pay less for my miata, surprisingly. tons of them around, soft top, etc, but seems most owners are more careful - too many mama's (the ones tha leave the car unlocked, windows rolled down in groceries) driving civics

Last edited by sdaidoji; 12-05-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-05-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for your advice gearbag ... but i kinda feel bad for my dad, i hope that the 02' civic we have doesn't blow it's tranny ... it's at 157k km, and 161k km = 100k miles :O

Yeah my uncle owns an autobody shop, i told him to keep his eyes out for the car i wanted but i didn't specify whether i wanted it auto or manual. He goes to auctions every couple of days and buys cars. I'll make sure to call him asap and tell him i want it manual lol

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Hehehe!
He meant when the driver gets older , not the car
mix young driver, coupe, civic and insurance automatically places you higher.
Add to mix that civic are considerably high on the stolen rates, insurance shoots up.
I pay less for my miata, surprisingly. tons of them around, soft top, etc, but seems most owners are more careful - too many mama's (the ones tha leave the car unlocked, windows rolled down in groceries) driving civics
Ya i know about the driver getting older, but the car aswell :P

It's cheaper for me to insure an 01 civic than an 05 civic because the 05 is newer and still worth more. (i think?)
Old 12-05-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

gearbag
just remember he is a mod on the site before calling him a bag!
Ya i know about the driver getting older, but the car aswell :P
It's cheaper for me to insure an 01 civic than an 05 civic because the 05 is newer and still worth more. (i think?)
prolly, am not a insurace agent to tell you why

also, take a look at the manuals link i gave you in the other thread. if you want to do the work yourself, they should help you a lot.
Old 12-05-2010
Premium Member

not yet, im driving til it wont move anymore. and meanwhile trying to find shops and prices for either d17 manual swap or a3 swap/manual. my coolant is starting to disappear again so if i end up with another headgasket leak, im junking the d17 motor too. i would never think about putting in another auto trans. and im losing confidence in the d17 as well. what happened to honda motors lasting 500k miles where these new ones barely make 100k. and im one of the few percent who actually takes care of the car. imagine what other peoples are like.

Originally Posted by lordhelmet
So out of curiosity, have you replaced your transmission yet?
Old 12-05-2010
Registered!!

also, take a look at the manuals link i gave you in the other thread.
Will you post that again, please.
Old 12-05-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

not yet, im driving til it wont move anymore. and meanwhile trying to find shops and prices for either d17 manual swap or a3 swap/manual. my coolant is starting to disappear again so if i end up with another headgasket leak, im junking the d17 motor too. i would never think about putting in another auto trans. and im losing confidence in the d17 as well. what happened to honda motors lasting 500k miles where these new ones barely make 100k. and im one of the few percent who actually takes care of the car. imagine what other peoples are like.
just curious, how many miles you got on it now?
Old 12-05-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Weird, because when i did a quote online the prelude was coming up to $180 a month, while the 7th gen coupe was getting $260
You must have been looking at an older prelude, otherwise that would be impossible. A prelude of the same year as a 7thgen will always cost more to insure.
Old 12-05-2010
Premium Member

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
just curious, how many miles you got on it now?

around 95k
Old 12-05-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

around 95k
Damn, that's it? lol

Mine's starting to give me more problems at 120k, but I've beat the crap out of mine.. Still runs enough to get me from point a to b, and still make people say "that sound came from a Civic..?" lol
Old 12-05-2010
Premium Member

mine started giving me trouble at 50k and i treated it like a baby lol. it even has a cooler and filter installed. didnt seem to help tho.
Old 12-05-2010
Registered!!

just remember he is a mod on the site before calling him a bag! .
i LITERALLY woke up less than 5 minutes before posting this, so that was a complete accident lol, sorry gearBOX

---

On a side note, i was driving my dad's civic today and i never really thought about checking to see how it switched gears so as it switched from 1-2 and 2-3 and 3-4 i paid attention. Everything was smooth, didn't seem like there were any problems at all and it's almost at 160k km (100k miles), so thats a plus
Old 12-06-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Will you post that again, please.
any car parts store
http://www.haynes.com/

More complete but expensive and takes time to ship.
http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage...q=helms+manual