7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Auto-Rx and fuel cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JRunyon21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Auto-Rx and fuel cleaners

I have been doing my research regarding fuel cleaners for the past day or two and I have landed on using Auto-Rx. Ordered a bottle today. Unless my reading comprehension is lacking this is a oil additive that helps REMOVE sludge(which my engine is full of). I have also read that FP60 and LP20 are good products to use after Auto-Rx to prevent future problems. Here is my question...

Auto-Rx is meant to remove sludge and LP20 is meant to prevent sludge by adding them to the oil. FP60 is meant to prevent the fuel system from building carbon. What product should I purchase to remove carbon build up from the fuel system before I use FP60?
Old 12-03-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Auto-Rx and fuel cleaners

you read mostly correct. lubecontrol products do actively clean the engine and fuel system parts, but they do so over a long period of continued/daily use. so unless you have serious problems with the car, i recommend just starting lubecontrol products and sticking with it. you can even use a double dose for the first time which they recommend. over time you will start seeing benefits. even tho my engine was in pretty good shape, a month later i noticed better mpg and stronger motor. auto-rx should be used for serious problems like massive sludge and carbon that actually is causing problems with the motor functioning. like our 92 accord for example which had crazy oil burning (1qt a month with not much driving) and tons of sludge and carbon buildup from neglecting oil changes and maintenance. after auto-rx in that car, the moving parts are extremely clean, the engine makes a ton more power, and oil burning is down to few ounces a month. now i use lc20 and fp60 to keep it in good shape.

i also dont think the fuel system will have any real issues that require a cleaning product. there is already a fuel filter and only gas goes thru those parts. there is no combustion and heat to form any deposits.
Old 12-05-2010
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

The only fuel system cleaners that work have Polyetheramines (PEA) in them, and the more the better. (Red Line SI-1, Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus, BG 44K)

I checked the MSDS for FP60 and there aren't any ingredients listed of any sort, so I can't say much about it.

PEA cleans fuel sender contacts, combustion chamber deposits, and unclogs fuel injectors.

edit: I'm not talking negatively of Lube Control or LP20, as I've heard only good things about them, and LP20 appears to work well. I'm only saying that specifically for FP60, I don't see how it could be any better than the High-PEA fuel cleaners.

Last edited by green01civic; 12-05-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-05-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i used techron concentrate for 20k miles and it didnt do anything. i got pretty convinced none of the stuff sold in stores does any good. the lubecontrol is all proprietary stuff so i doubt you will find much in the way of ingredients, and i dont blame them. the stuff is already so cheap there no reason to buy a copy anyway.
Old 12-06-2010
Registered!!

JRunyon21 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Auto-Rx is due to be here on wednesday. I plan to try and use this stuff this weekend b/c I will also be going after a cpl other jobs.

Gearbox. What is the best method for using this stuff? My plan was:

1. Change my oil/oil filter. Add 9 ounces of Auto-Rx.
2. Drive ~1500miles and replace the oil filter.
3. Drive another ~1500miles and change the oil/oil filter. Add remaining 3 ounces of Auto-Rx.
4. Drive ~3000miles and change oil/oil filter.
5. Resume regular oil changes and start adding LP20.

If there are any problems with this method let me know.

-Jason
Old 12-06-2010
Premium Member

most ppl ive talked to say you could go 5000 miles after adding the autorx before changing the oil instead of only 3000. it just does a better job of cleaning. i went around 4k since winter was coming and didnt want to change oil in the cold. im now in the rinse phase and i did add LC20 already. its not like other additives and will clean up what the auto-rx loosened and left behind by suspending it in the oil. otherwise your method seems fine and its your call whether to add lc20 during the rinse oil phase.