7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Purchase advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sharkfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Purchase advice needed

Hello All,

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2002 Civic EX that has major issues.

Please understand that I have not had the car checked out, I only have the info the owner (friend) has given me.

It is a 4dr Automatic and it won't shift out of first gear and the A/C is inop.
One owner with full documentation of maintaince, including timing belt, WP and so on in Sept of last year.

The car has 200,000 miles but is in great shape other than the 2 problems listed above. I have no problem working on my on vehicles, but have never worked on front wheel drive car.

So, my question is any advice on value of vehicle and difficulty of R&R of tranny.

Normally, I would not consider this because of the issues, but my friend is holding it for a few more days, before she sells it to the junkyard for $375 (wow)

I understand that replacement of the tranny may not fix the issue and that it could be something else. I am just trying to figure worse case scenario.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 10-01-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Purchase advice needed

Wow, 02 with 200K miles on it?

Take it off her hands for $500, and you'd have something to play with

Im (somewhat) sure around $1500 will have it up and running
Old 10-01-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with kenny. a $500 play thing that you can possibly repair to be a great econo-car that can be pretty fun with the right suspension

and depending on where you are, a/c's not really necessary.. lol. I'm surprised how how little I've actually used it this summer in Vegas, and it's just recently dipping below 100 as the high temp of the day.
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for the info guys, I am hoping to get away with $400-$450, because she was ready to let it go for $375 until I told her I was interested.

Just looking to get it back to normal and drive the heck out of it.

Any idea how hard it is to R&R the tranny?

Thanks again for the advice,

Dave
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

Also xRiCeBoYx, I did 6 years in Vegas and thats what has gotten me spoiled on A/C...lol

I sure do miss that place.

Dave
Old 10-01-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on what's wrong with the A/C, im sure you can just refill on refridgerant and it should be fine....

As for tranny, repair would probably be out of the question
Replacement would be your best bet
It shouldnt be too hard if you're mechanically smart

Car-part.com I see some for under 1k

or if you're around NY, you can ask this guy
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-part-out.html
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

why would it be un repairable 2001-2003 automatics has severe problems with the clutch packs chewing themselves to pieces you can purchase a transmission racing overhaul kit that will make it virtually indestructible under stock conditions . http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ngOverhaulKits
Old 10-02-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lowlife9
why would it be un repairable 2001-2003 automatics has severe problems with the clutch packs chewing themselves to pieces you can purchase a transmission racing overhaul kit that will make it virtually indestructible under stock conditions . http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ngOverhaulKits
Most people, including a lot of mechanics, wont touch a tranny (they can be very intimidating to the uninitiated) but, more power to ya if you can do it.

Last edited by lazlong; 10-02-2010 at 01:09 AM. Reason: a comma. lol
Old 10-02-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sharkfan
Any idea how hard it is to R&R the tranny?
hang engine, pull wheels, press out lower balljoints, disconnect tierod ends, swing the whole assembly around (including the axles), drop sub-frame (4 bolts), disconnect tranny and lower it from the engine. This is, of course, an abbreviated version.
Old 10-02-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Originally Posted by lowlife9
Originally Posted by lazlong
Most people, including a lot of mechanics, wont touch a tranny (they can be very intimidating to the uninitiated) but, more power to ya if you can do it.
That, and a 200k Mile tranny is good enough to toss
Honda engines are ment to last, not the tranny
rebuilding the tranny would cost not that much less of buying a new one i would suspect
Old 10-02-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
...rebuilding the tranny would cost not that much less of buying a new one i would suspect
rebuild= $225+ time

salvage engine = $500-$1500

complete tranny rebuild w/R&R at the shop, usually with 1 yr warranty= $2000-$2500

New isn't even listed as available anymore. May be able to call the dealer and get one but, if I remember correctly they were like $3000.

Last edited by lazlong; 10-02-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 10-02-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sharkfan
Also xRiCeBoYx, I did 6 years in Vegas and thats what has gotten me spoiled on A/C...lol

I sure do miss that place.

Dave
air force?
Old 10-02-2010
Registered!!

Wow, great forum...Thanks for all the info and advise.

Kenny...I agree on the A/C, the compressor is coming on so I'll put some gauges on it and shoot a charge with some dye and see how long it last.

lowlife...That looks like the best and least expensive option...but that is one department I never had the ***** to jump into..R&R a bunch never opened one up except to change a filter...

lazlong...I agree on the swap and I appreciate the abbrievated version of the R&R...it makes it sound so much easier as I am convincing myself to pull the trigger.lol

xRiCeBoYx...No Air Force...Pit Manger at the Imperial Palace for 6 years..I used to live on Tamareno right off of Trop....Loved it out there, but my now ex-wife hated it and convinced me to move to the armpit of FL Jacksonville..

Thanks again to everyone for the information

Dave
Old 10-02-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I'd say screw the AT. The 7thgen auto tranny sucks anyways. Nab the car and do an MT swap. See if you can find everything you need either here on these forums or at a pick-n-pull

Just sayin.. throwing another option out there.