7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

New guy Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01civic5spd is an unknown quantity at this point
New guy Need help!

First time posting on here.

Picked up an 01 civic as a dailey driver, got it with 72000KMS and its been a headache ever since. I've had it in the shop 3 times in about 3 months. It seems the crank seal keeps blowing out or getting wrecked causeing the car to leak oil. What could cause this? Makes no sence why the seal should be blowing out I dont drive the car hard I just use it to bomb around town. This is my first honda and its very frusterating. Thanks!!

Car is a 2001 civic 1.7 5spd
Old 09-30-2010
Registered!!

Re: New guy Need help!

No one????
Old 09-30-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Sounds like it's building up too much pressure and blowing the seal. Previous owner may not have changed the oil enough. If you don't change the oil the oil galleries in the engine get clogged and build up pressure till you blow a seal. Pull the engine and clean all the oil galleries. Have fun.
Old 09-30-2010
Registered!!

Ya i'm pretty sure the previous owner rarely changed the oil based on that i've seen. Is there anyway to clean out the oil gallies without pulling the motor? I dont know the first thing about these cars i've only ever owned and worked on v8's before. I was thinking maybe putting sea foam or an oil additive in the oil to clean everything out? Thanks for the reply!!
Old 09-30-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

I asked a couple of guys about this and only 1 said he had it happen and he said he suspected it was one of the galleries in the head and just poked it with a paperclip. lol. I have a buddy in auto tech class, I'll see if he can ask at school tomorrow-stay tuned.
Old 09-30-2010
Registered!!

Ok, buddy was still at school, he said to go down to the autoparts store and get engine flush. If that doesn't work he said to check for a clogged oil filter.* It's actually pretty easy to check as the oilpan unbolts and drops thru the sub-frame.
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

ya i'll have a look 'i did some re-search aswell and gunk and sea foam make oil additives that should help