7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Gas Meter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about
Gas Meter?

I don't know if it's only me or if all civics are like this (but i'm pretty sure it's only me). Since i got my car back in January the gas meter has been going down REALLY quickly from full until halfway, and then it goes down slowly (or regular i guess, since civics are good on gas). I'm wondering if thats just me? I tested out the milage on one tank of gas and i got about 350km (about 217 miles). I'm pretty sure this can't be right, something's probably wrong ... I would suggest a leak but i'm pretty sure there isn't one because you don't smell gas when you're sitting in the car and my car isn't leaking any liquid onto the ground.
Old 09-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Gas Meter?

I'm on my 4th civic and they've all hovered around the halfway mark like that, from the '88 to the '01 I have now. Come to think of it, most of the cars I've had have done the same thing, more or less.

Any other symptoms other than bad mileage?
Old 09-29-2010
Registered!!

DarkSouljur has a spectacular aura aboutDarkSouljur has a spectacular aura about

Other than bad gas mileage i don't think anything is wrong... I wasn't terribly worried about it until a couple weeks ago i was in my friends '04 civic and we had been driving around a lot (he had a full tank when we started) and his meter went down maybe a not or 2 but thats it ... mine can go down way faster than that :P
Old 09-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Kinda stumped if there's no other symptoms. Go down to Autozone and have them scan it for DTCs and see if any come back. The comp can store codes and not light the MIL.
Old 09-29-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Alot of cars that I have seen when they are full they go down quick to halfway then go very slowly down. But how much gas mileage are you getting.
Old 09-29-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 02civicsi02
Alot of cars that I have seen when they are full they go down quick to halfway then go very slowly down. But how much gas mileage are you getting.
I checked a while ago and couldn't remember, but when my tank empties i'll do a test :P How much SHOULD i be getting approx.?
Old 09-29-2010
Low and slow!

Anywhere from like 28 to 35 mpg i would say.
Old 09-29-2010
Registered!!

How do i calculate that
Old 09-29-2010
Low and slow!

Just fill your tank all the way up till the pump will stop it and write down how many gallons it was. Then just drive normally without ******* the hell out of it and wait till the e light comes on to be almost empty. There are usually 2 gallons left when e light comes on. But when the light comes on then check how many miles that you drove from when you first got gas and take the miles and divide it by the gallons.
Old 09-30-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 02civicsi02
Just fill your tank all the way up till the pump will stop it and write down how many gallons it was. Then just drive normally without ******* the hell out of it and wait till the e light comes on to be almost empty. There are usually 2 gallons left when e light comes on. But when the light comes on then check how many miles that you drove from when you first got gas and take the miles and divide it by the gallons.
Will do as soon as my gas is empty :P

... God damn civic has been stuck at half for 2 days now so this might take a while lol
Old 09-30-2010
Registered!!

jono237 is an unknown quantity at this point

you say its been stuck on half for two days either you do little driving or you may have one of the faulty gauges where they will either get stuck sometimes then all the sudden drop to empty then slowly go back up to the actual spot of whats in your tank. This was actually quietly recalled by honda and im not sure they will do repairs for free anymore as ive herd there was a deadline for it i have the honda memo to the service techs just not on this computer i can dig it up if you want it. as far as i can tell they just replace the gas guage in the dash.
Old 09-30-2010
Registered!!

Well we haven't done a ridiculous amount of driving in the past two days but it's gotten enough. I had no idea about a recall, the memo would be great, thanks!
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

kofrad is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say the easiest way to check your mileage would be to fill up and reset your trip odometer. Then drive as usual until you get low again, fill up again. Now divide the number of miles driven by the amount of gas you just put in. This number will be your mileage.

Example: 300 miles driven / 10 gallons fuel put in = 30 miles per gallon.

But about the gas gauge, in all my cars I've noticed at a full tank the needle sticks slightly to full before dropping at a decent rate to halfway where it slowly drops down again. For comparison I get about 30mpg and a half tank is anywhere from 150 - 180 miles into that tank of gas.
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by kofrad
in all my cars I've noticed at a full tank the needle sticks slightly to full before dropping at a decent rate to halfway where it slowly drops down again.
Thats pretty much what happens to me! But you'd need to define decent because mine is at half in like 2-3 days TOPS without a lot of driving.

Originally Posted by kofrad
For comparison I get about 30mpg and a half tank is anywhere from 150 - 180 miles into that tank of gas.
Good thing to know! Thanks
Old 10-02-2010
Registered!!

kofrad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DarkSouljur
Thats pretty much what happens to me! But you'd need to define decent because mine is at half in like 2-3 days TOPS without a lot of driving.
I think it is around 40 - 50 miles before I see the needle coming down from the top.

This may help you out a little bit, all gas gauges are kind of weird in their own ways.
How gas gauges work
Old 10-02-2010
Low and slow!

Another way to to calculate your mpg and keep track of it is go onto fuelly.com and make an account. I have an account on there and I calculate my mpg every week.
Old 10-02-2010
Registered!!

After spending a lil while on that site i think i might soon be creating an account. I was looking at the civics, as if there were 2 civics listed at getting 61 mpg... thats insane lol

Anyways i just filled my tank and reset the Trip A and B odometer. I drove about 50km and not a drop from F. I'll post results when it's empty again
Old 10-02-2010
Low and slow!

Ya there is alot of people on there that get really damn good gas mileage but its the hybrids of course. I am on there under 2002 honda civic si and I average out at right now with 29.8 mpg.
Old 10-02-2010
Registered!!

Just added a car I'm pretty excited to start using this website!
Old 10-02-2010
Registered!!

Dyar is an unknown quantity at this point

Its not only you dude, my 03 civic is like that too. It'll say I have an eighth left and the next time I turn the car on, it'll be at the halfway mark..lol