7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

co2 cooled intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
co2 cooled intake

well i have an old paintball gun with an electric triger that i never use, i was looking at it and thinking about uses for it but nothing came to mind. then when driving i thought it could be used to cool my intake, there are others who have thought of it but i havent seen one in use. at first i was just thinking of shooting it into the intake. but i read that it would stall the motor (too bad it doesn't work like the nitrogen component of n2o). so here's some concept sketchs. feel free to laugh XD!

i think the first one would work best, being inside the intake but i'm worried about condensation.

both these designs pass the co2 through or arround the intake air then would just be vented under my car to prevent the gas from entering the intake.

might even vent the gas by the fuel line to cool it as well.
Old 09-21-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: co2 cooled intake

not worth it. air passes thru that small section of pipe so fast, the pipe does not have enough time to significantly alter the temp. thermodynamics says its a bad idea lol.
Old 09-21-2010

mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

ya i was thinkong of that last night. the way i've seen c02 cool things it has to pass from one atmosphereic pressure to another. so i thought i might make a two section concept, with a pressurised hose runing inside a metal seeled bracket on the intake. the pressurised hose would have small holes in it which would bleed into the bracket against the intake. then i'd need a bleedoff hose to vent it out of the engine bay, under the car.

Last edited by mac25; 09-21-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2010

so here's the new design, this is getting fun. if anyone wants to join in on designing this thing feel free. i didn't invent the concept but there arn't many if any designs out there for this concept.

ps: i probably will not make a prototype. if i do it won't be anytime soon cause of university fees son!
Old 09-21-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Look up "cryO2"

They make an co2 intake cooling sleeve.. Stupid expensive for what it is though.
Old 09-21-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mac25
so here's the new design, this is getting fun. if anyone wants to join in on designing this thing feel free. i didn't invent the concept but there arn't many if any designs out there for this concept.

ps: i probably will not make a prototype. if i do it won't be anytime soon cause of university fees son!
They heat and cool homes with that very same idea (pipes thru the floor).
Old 09-21-2010

dammmbbbb that cry02 stuff looked cool. i think i could build this concept for $150 ish. $50 for a non-name brand solinoid, 70 for the hoses and 30 for an abs large tube to go around the intake, plus stuff to mount and seel. i already have a 20 oz co2 tank, probably not large enough for more then one run but it'd be good enough to test with.
Old 09-21-2010

here's cry02's intake unit. it cools by mounting a pipe inline with the intake, then it has a "bulb" inside that which the co2 cools. they say "Testing showed a reduction in intake air temperature up to 50°F". sells for $164.21 just for this plus $392.98 for the co2 bottle unit... that's $557.19... way too much! maybe if i get some extra cash i'll build something and post a diy.

Old 09-21-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said, stupid expensive for what it is. I think I mentioned this in another thread, but if you could find a way to utilize a refrigerant cycle to cool your intake, it'd prolly work better. Using refrigerant instead of CO2 would make the cooling medium renewable instead of having to refill the CO2 bottle every so often. But the heat it would produce on the flip side would be ridiculous, and if you used your car's A/C system, it would probably strain your system like crazy
Old 09-21-2010

ya i thought of the a/c. but it doesn't cool as much as co2 and it pulls hp from the belt. this wouldn't pull much from your car, just some voltage from the battery for the solinoid (hopefully not enough to limit the needed 12 volts for vtec). anyway hope someone tests it.

i was thinking of the exit vented portion, what would be a better use, venting it by the radiator, or fuel line?
Old 09-21-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Not necessarily A/C from your engine. If you could fab up a standalone system from say, an old fridge or something, that could work, too. But like I said, the more an A/C system cools on the evap stage, the hotter the condenser would get..

In all, I think it may be more hassle than it's worth, unless you really wanna delve into the engineering of it, then it's all good
Old 09-21-2010

ya but energy isn't free man. it takes over 120 voltes and a **** load of amps to keep your fridge running. unless you got one hell of an extension cord or a really nice gas generator i can't see a recycling unit like that working. the co2 has already been compressed by a mechine using a hell of a lot of energy to do so and is siting in a potential energy state. if you know of something though tell me!
Old 09-21-2010
Administrator
Administrator

lol, I understand that. I think the point I'm getting at is the minimal "gains" you would see aren't worth the hassle in the long run

It'd be a kinda fun project though, but just that: a project.
Old 09-21-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if the best solution can only lower air temp by UPTO 50F, thats barely 5hp gain AT BEST. not good enough and can possibly cause other problems like rust, water in the engine, etc. even then i dont see it lowering air temp by more than 10-20F on a hot day. there is just not enough pipe to do it.
Old 09-21-2010

i'd be happy with 5hp. but ya i need my car right now so can't mess around even if i had the money. 5hp is alot considering my car's at like what 100 wheel hp?
Old 09-21-2010
Administrator
Administrator

d17a2 MT dyno's at ~110, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 09-22-2010
Premium Member

there are better ways to gain 5hp. how much weight and space would that tank add?
Old 09-22-2010

nothing relivent. it'd be the same as picking up a paitball marker or less. and i'm not interested because i want huge gains, i'm interested because it would be a fun thing to design and test. gains would be a bonus. but ya the set up wouldn't tax the car very much at all weight wise. i could always take my spare out during the runs i use it on, that would reduce the weight more then the setup would add.