7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Spark Plugs

Old 09-13-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Spark Plugs

Just wondering if anyone knew the difference between the PKJ20CR-M11 regular platinum plug that comes standard on our Civic, and the Denso IK20 Iridium plug available for our cars. These Iridiums are supposed to be better but they only cost roughly $8 a plug on amazon as apposed to the standard platinum that cost almost $14. Just curious why is that, I assume the Irridiums are better and should cost more then the platinums. I know that expensive doesnt always mean better, but in this case I think it should especially with the same company.
Old 09-13-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Spark Plugs

stock is double platinum, relatively the worst plug you can use (copper is better). only reason for the hi price is platinum being expensive i guess. copper conducts better, but doesnt last long. iridium ik20 is the best due to ultra small electrode and it greatly reduces the electrical load to make the spark. no hp gains, even denso will not lie and says it increases hp. but it will make the car run better and free up electrical power (better gas mileage). however, they only last 30k miles being "racing" plugs with a thin electrode. my first set made it to 30k recently and still performed exactly like the fresh set i dropped in. so no performance loss as the plug gets old like other plugs.
Old 09-14-2010
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

hmm so I guess using the regular OEM Densos are a waste. My current ngk v powers are not doing so good right now. I will pick up some Ik20s then, thanks
Old 09-14-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Make sure you gap whatever you get!
Old 09-14-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

ik20 should not need gapping. i verified and they are all set properly. if you try to gap iridium, the tip will break off. oem plugs are a waste yes. and vpower are good but to keep the same performance you need to change em yearly (at most 2 yrs but thats pushing it).
Old 09-14-2010
Registered!!

How can I be sure they are gapped correctly? I plan to buy them from Autozone where they sell the same plug for 1,000's of the same car?
Old 09-15-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Just gat a gapper tool. Auto zone has em for under a dollar...

They should also be able to tell you what gap to set them at. I suggest buying a Chiltons or Haynes manual for your car while you are there. It will cover all of this stuff and will show you how to do it all.

Last edited by Mad Dog Tannen; 09-15-2010 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-15-2010
Premium Member

when i gapped my ik20s, they were all at 0.040-0.044 which is pretty much what our car calls for. always good to double check tho.
Old 09-15-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

They have gapping tools at auto zone and other auto parts stores. Just get it and check the gap like in the picture demonstration that Mad Dog put up. Its real simple and takes like 2 mins to check all 4.
Old 09-16-2010
Registered!!

lol I know HOW to gap spark plugs, but I thought these were not supposed to be gapped? Am I able to change the spark gap slightly on irridiums?
Old 09-16-2010
Premium Member

no, you can only check the gap. any forceful gapping will damage the electrode.