7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Please advice with VIN# plate+dash

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRCornelis is an unknown quantity at this point
Please advice with VIN# plate+dash

Hello,
I don't know where to post this (which section), anyways, quick question. If for some reason you get your dashboard replaced, let's say the whole panel, I believe you have to transfer your VIN# plate to the new one. This is not for myself, but for someone on the family who likes to to swap her sun faded dashboard for a new one. She will get it from the dealer, not a junkyard or used one, but I am willing to help her with the installation but not before making sure if it will be not legal. I know that having the wrong VIN# on the dash is not a good thing if you get pulled over, but I don't know if transfering a VIN# (in other words, handling it) will be even more ilegal (even when you got the Dashboard from dealer). Car is a 2001 coupe EX and I plan to follow the DIY for dash removal here (I think her car still a 7gen?), however I doesn't show how to "remove and re attach the VIN# to a different dash. I know it takes like two special screws or (taps) or whatever is called and I don't know (how and where to get them). I was wondering if gluing the plate on place will be and look fine).
Second, I don't know if the dealer will still carry or stock a dashboard for such an old car. I would say to get a nice dashboard cover and call the day, that's what I did to mine when I got the car and I got rid of unwanted reflections on the winsheild. Anyways, if she wants to do it... fine, but I will hate to find out about her getting in trouble with the law because of this and I would like to make sure first. (we live in California / SOCAL) and I don't wish to cause any trouble to this lady.
What do you guys think about it? Is the Dealer able to provide a new dash for such old car?, is the DIY something that "you can do". Or may be I should take this idea out of her mind (she's 20).

Thank you very, very much for all your help, as always.

FRC.-
Old 08-31-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: Please advice with VIN# plate+dash

Dealer will charge you $350-450.

Go find a nice one out of the salvage yard. 2001-2005 will fit. Cost you about $150 or so for a decent one: http://www.car-part.com/

Or you can get a new one for about $300 shipped here: http://www.bkhondaparts.com/billkay/...itch=&hidIrno= or here: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...STRUMENT+PANEL

DIY isn't very hard. Takes a couple of hours. The hardest thing is finding that bolt in the back. The VIN plate is riveted. Drill out the rivets on the plate. Then get a hand riveter and rivet it back on the new dash. A hand full of rivets should come with it. Good luck.

Last edited by lazlong; 08-31-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-31-2010
Registered!!

Thank you Lazlong!, that's was really helpfull; very informative, thanks a lot!!.

BTW, about the hand riveter tool, I was looking at those rivetes on my Civic Sedan (should look the same as her coupe), I never really used one, I'm sure it's not a big deal, but do you know if the rivets will look kind of similar to the originals? do they look alike or honda has a "special shape, size, whathever" making them look apart from the rest? Thank you!!!

FRC.-
Old 08-31-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

I don't know. Most rivets I've seen look about the same after installation.
Old 08-31-2010
Registered!!

thank you bro... I will do that then. I was just a litte worry about her getting in trouble with the law even when we won't do anything illegal since we will be getting the dash from a good source. I guess swapping the tag is not that big deal and will be just fine. Hope I won't brake anything. My concern is getting that wheel of, I don't want to damage anything down there when I'm pulling the wheel.

Thks!
FRC.-
Old 08-31-2010
Registered!!

Just remember to disconnect the battery and wait AT LEAST 3 minutes before fiddling with anything so you don't blow your airbags.
Good luck.
Old 08-31-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by FRCornelis
thank you bro... I will do that then. I was just a litte worry about her getting in trouble with the law even when we won't do anything illegal since we will be getting the dash from a good source. I guess swapping the tag is not that big deal and will be just fine. Hope I won't brake anything. My concern is getting that wheel of, I don't want to damage anything down there when I'm pulling the wheel.

Thks!
FRC.-
if all the vin matches, should not be a problem.
It's when they don't match and it's not recorded when or where it happened that could be trouble, so you good.
Naturally keep the receipts of the new dash with you and give them if you sell the car, you should be covered completely.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 08-31-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-31-2010
Registered!!

Peace in mind then, and sleep at night. Thanks for your input, all of you...
I didn't know it was that easy to get a new dash OEM for an older car, and prices from Magestic Honda are really great and, they stock the right dash for her with the right color. First I was thinking about getting one from a junkyard or ebay (used one) and chances are they will look even more faded than the original. 300$ bux for a bran new OEM dashboard isn't that bad at all...

THNXXXXXXXXXXXX
FRC.-
Old 09-03-2010
Registered!!

ExistEvolution is on a distinguished road

answer your question, your local sherriff department can help out, as i was referred to them many times for not having a vin plate on my nissan 240sx dash, junkyard dash, i didn't really care to pay to have the vin put back on