7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Air/Fuel gauge...now tiny problems!

Old 07-31-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr.VTEC has a spectacular aura aboutMr.VTEC has a spectacular aura about
Air/Fuel gauge...now tiny problems!

I installed an ait/fuel gauge today.....and now my car seems to idle just a wee bit higher. And also if im just cruising and then punch it....the car bogs for a split second. Also the gauge fluxuates (if thats how you spell it). When I punch it it goes to rich...when I let off it leans out..but if im cruising at a steady throttle it slowly jumps from lean to rich...it doesnt stay in ideal.

Are these problems or just my imagination?
Old 07-31-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,143 Likes on 798 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Air/Fuel gauge...now tiny problems!

narrow band or wideband?
Old 07-31-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Your vehicle should cycle rich-lean-rich-lean, that's how the emissions system works with the Adaptive Fuel Trim.
Old 07-31-2010
Registered!!

wideband...I tapped it into the O2 Sensor signal wire after the plug.
Old 07-31-2010
Registered!!

actually idk if its wide or narrow...its a sunpro gauge from Autozone...cost me $30 bucks...so most likely narrow....but i have no clue..I could get the box..but its in the outside trash now lol
Old 07-31-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

haha those gauges are a joke, take it off before it causes serious damage. its changing the voltage of the sensor that the ecu needs to figure out how the engine should run. if you want an a/f gauge for some reason, you get a wideband that comes with its own wideband sensor and install it somewhere in the exhaust by having a shop weld on a bung. real sensor kits cost $300+ for a good one. even if you have 04-05 civic with stock wideband sensor, you cannot just tap a gauge to the wiring. needs to have its own separate sensor.
Old 07-31-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I had a post that was a few sentences that didn't post.. bah. It went something like this

A narrow band doesn't have the range to be accurate, so it'll sweep from lean to rich and back again, never usually staying in the happy range. My wideband sweeps between 14.2ish to 15.1ish during normal operations and goes completely lean when I'm off the throttle. I was told this is normal.

When I'm at WOT, it stays at 13.9 (or was it 13.1.. don't remember at the moment)

now.. stuff that I just though of reading your last post.. lol.. my wideband (AEM UEGO wideband a/f gauge) ran me a couple hundred bucks, came with a bosch wideband sensor and the gauge
Old 07-31-2010
Registered!!

Cam this gauge actually do damage? And what to?
Old 07-31-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by gearbox
haha those gauges are a joke, take it off before it causes serious damage. its changing the voltage of the sensor that the ecu needs to figure out how the engine should run. if you want an a/f gauge for some reason, you get a wideband that comes with its own wideband sensor and install it somewhere in the exhaust by having a shop weld on a bung. real sensor kits cost $300+ for a good one. even if you have 04-05 civic with stock wideband sensor, you cannot just tap a gauge to the wiring. needs to have its own separate sensor.
AEM's retails for $222 now. I think when I bought mine it retailed for $300
Old 07-31-2010
Registered!!

Still doesnt answer my damage question lol
Old 07-31-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I have no idea about the damage.. lol. Only thing I can think of is tapping the o2 sensor wire will affect the amount of voltage your ecu sees (like gearbox mentioned) due to the smaller amount of "surface area" the current has to travel.. Pulled that outta my ***, but it sounded good..
Old 07-31-2010
Registered!!

That would explain the slightly higher idle and split second bog when I punch it.......the voltage is off now cause of the gauge?
Old 07-31-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mr.VTEC
That would explain the slightly higher idle and split second bog when I punch it.......the voltage is off now cause of the gauge?
I bet he's right.
Old 07-31-2010
Registered!!

F*ck it ill take it off i guess.....cause that idle change and bog are gunna bug me.
Old 07-31-2010
Registered!!

Well...$160 later I have a Wideband AFG comming from Glowshift. Literally JUST ordered it lol
Old 07-31-2010
Registered!!

Show some pics when you get it in.
Old 07-31-2010
Registered!!

Will do!
Old 08-01-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Just checked my WOT AFR while on my way back from my nightly run. It sit at 12.9-13.1 @ WOT, not 13.9
Old 08-01-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

nice lol. throw away the sunpro, or at least find the box and return it. riceboy that sounds about normal. these cars run very rich esp at wot. with better tuning and mods, you could lean it out and get way better mileage and power.
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

Yeah I ripped it out lol Gunna find something stupid to put it on...like my lawn mower or somthing lol
Old 08-02-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah I ripped it out lol Gunna find something stupid to put it on...like my lawn mower or somthing lol
Hahah.. wtf

Originally Posted by gearbox
nice lol. throw away the sunpro, or at least find the box and return it. riceboy that sounds about normal. these cars run very rich esp at wot. with better tuning and mods, you could lean it out and get way better mileage and power.
I figured it was normal to go rich at WOT.. I just wanted to make sure I was posting correct numbers for reference. As for tuning to get better power/mileage.. the turbo bug's been nipping at me lately.. Ever since I got bored and cleaned up the Garrett T3 Super 60 I have laying around.. As soon as I take care of the priority stuff on my car, I'm gonna start a low-ish (6-8psi) turbo build.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 08-02-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

Gotta do something with it......lol
Old 08-02-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

I dont see why people put these in there car when they dont really need them.
Old 08-02-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Only reason I put one in mine is because I was boosted. It kinda helps now because when my car goes psycho with no CEL, it freakin sticks at an AFR of 10.0.. I hope it's a wiring thing because one time I smacked my glove box really hard, and the AFR went back to being happy.
Old 08-05-2010
Registered!!

WatumboJimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL - I wonder how's he going to install this new wideband oxygen sensor.....this should be funny.
Old 08-05-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by WatumboJimmy
LOL - I wonder how's he going to install this new wideband oxygen sensor.....this should be funny.
Why should it be funny? Theres only one way to do it.
Old 08-05-2010
Administrator
Administrator

lol.. great first post..
Old 08-05-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by WatumboJimmy
LOL-Let's see you contribute something.
Old 08-05-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Why should it be funny? Theres only one way to do it.
Oh, and there's technically 2 ways.. Of course, the obvious go to a shop and have them weld the o2 sensor bung on, but AEM also has a no-weld o2 sensor bung. It's pretty much a hose clamp with an o2 sensor bung on it. Just drill a hole and put the thing over it.. I'm not sure how well it works, but I noticed it perusing AEM's website one day. They've apparently pressure tested the thing up to 50psi
http://www.aemelectronics.com/search...ywords=no+weld
Old 08-05-2010
Registered!!

Yeah I just dont see how that was funny.....but I stand corrected. thanks riceboy! lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air/Fuel gauge...now tiny problems!