7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

my first mods. intake/exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miz017 is an unknown quantity at this point
my first mods. intake/exhaust

since getting my first civic a couple weeks ago, and tooling around on these forums reading diys and modding threads, i've decided that performance modding is something i am definitely interested in. unfortunately i've read that modding an 01 DX is pointless for quick, easy power gains. if it's not worth it, then i'll save my money for a swap, but if i can get a significant increase in performance then i really want to go through with this. i was looking around on summitracing.com and found some parts i'd like to start with.

magnaflow 15712 exhaust kit
magnaflow 54054 universal catalytic converter
DC sports HHC5019 headers
K&N 57-3513 High flow intake

-edit- this is going to run me around $1200 after shipping. is that a good deal? i've never modded anything before so i'm a total newb at this.

does this look like a good combination to start with? i've searched reviews on magnaflow and it seems they make a great product, and K&N is what I always hear recommended for intake (Or AEM) DC sports i'm not sure about. i'm searching reviews on that now, but in the mean time, anyone got any suggestions on what else I could do, or even if I can find a better selection of products elsewhere?
Old 06-12-2010
Registered!!

ALLeNsEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: my first mods. intake/exhaust

IMO i would go with AEM or Injen for the intake. Dc makes great headers and a good exhaust system; they're just pricey. also, this is just my opinion but starting with suspension is what I believe is more beneficial. Up to you. Did you want a cai or Sri?
Old 06-12-2010
Registered!!

i've actually been trying to ask around and research the differences between sri and cai, but i can't seem to get good information. sri is cheaper, but cold air is, well, cold... either is better than stock. i guess i should accept that modding isn't cheap. which is best for performance increase per $?

i was thinking about suspension options as well. the car needs suspension work anyways (cv joints, compliance bushings, ball joints and struts) so i may go that route first afterall. i'm not looking for super high performance suspension, but i would like something better than oem replacements. it also needs body work and i'd like to get a nice lip kit for it, so when doing the suspension i want to go ahead and drop it about 1.5''. i'm not looking to make this car flashy or super powerful. it's a daily driver, but i still want it to kick a little harder and look sharp.
Old 06-12-2010
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point

You're not gonna get any performance increase out of your car without some major (and expensive) work. Exhaust and intake just won't cut it.
Old 06-12-2010
Registered!!

i was just looking at the AEM 24-6102C V2 intake system. it's not too much more expensive than the K&N, and it seems like a much better buy. i know one thing though... my job is about to love me for all the OT i clock. uncle sam too, for that matter.

anyone have experience with this intake?
Old 06-12-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Awjvail
You're not gonna get any performance increase out of your car without some major (and expensive) work. Exhaust and intake just won't cut it.
that's what i feared. if it's just not worth it, it's just not. i read the diy here for the ex swap to get vtec. i've also read intriguing stuff on the k20 swap. maybe i'll go that route instead. if that's the case, i can go ahead with the suspension, and save up for a while for a full swap. it's all very exciting but i don't want to spend all that money and end up wishing i had done the swap.
Old 06-13-2010
Registered!!

hwt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had the aem sri, aem v2, and the ingen and i liked the aem v2 best (not any notable difference between them really). I had the DC shorty headers and the race header, race header was nicer and sounded better. Had the Apexi N1, Skunk 2 (current) and a magnaflow "factory style" exhausts, wish i still had the magnaflow. Just my 2 pennies and thats all it worth. Good luck to you.
Old 06-13-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I personally like my V2, also. Mine (second V2, actually. Sold the first one after I went turbo for a bit) came with the dryflow filter, so there's an extra added bonus. I hear the K&N filter generally sucks at filtering
Old 06-13-2010
Registered!!

hwt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dry flow is def where its at, no oil and easy to clean. oh and great filtering.