7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Alternator/Overcharging - SES Light & O2 Sensor Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicVoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Alternator/Overcharging - SES Light & O2 Sensor Issues

I have a 2002 Honda Civic Si, D17A2 (Canada), with around 85,000miles. I have had no issues until recently and I hope you guys can give me some advice on how I should go about getting it solved.

First, my check engine light came on and I scanned it to find out a low 02 sensor response of the 1st bank O2 Sensor. Upon reading a bunch of older posts, most members agree that its a warning that the O2 sensor before the CAT is failing. I have cleared the code multiple times but it keeps coming back after a week or so. Just wondering which O2 sensor I should get?

Canadian Local Parts
Dealership $270
NGK $165
Bosch $175

American Parts
Rockauto BOSCH Part # 13532 {OE Type - Exact Fit} Upstream $53.79

Just wondering if have the correct part due to the huge price differences?

The O2 sensor is currently the least of my worries. Recently my car has had strange issues with my lights flickering/dimming when driving (headlights, interior, dashboard etc). If the car is idle everything seems to be fine but If I accelerate past 2,000rpms they begin to flicker. The car does not have any power loss. Also, the SRS comes on when driving and shuts off when idling. A few older posts I search suggested that the SRS light can turn on if there is a voltage issue. I tested the battery with the car off and it read around 12.8v, with the car idle it jumped into the mid 14s. I then put on my headlights, radio, max blower, and it stayed in the mid 14s. However, if I rev the car past 2,000, the volts jump into the low to mid 15s. I also had a small device which plugged into the cigarette lighter and it displayed the charging system as green when idle and overcharging when driving. At this point I believe replacing the alternator should fix the problem. Just wondering on everybody's advice and which alternator should I buy?

Canadian Local Parts
Dealership $420 - OEM Honda
Bosch Rebuilt $175 - 2year Warranty
NAPA Rebuilt $182 - 3year Warranty
NAPA Rebuilt $213 - Lifetime Warranty

American Parts
Rockauto - DENSO Part # 2104225 - Reman- $161.69 - 1year Warranty

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks...
Old 06-02-2010
Registered!!

civicfest is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Alternator/Overcharging - SES Light & O2 Sensor Issues

$165?!?!? Dude, your NGK sensor is $45 at SparkPlugs.com, I always buy my sensors from them.
Old 06-03-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah that is overcharging for sure and can start to damage electrical parts if not dealt with quickly. my napa alternator has been doing fine for 5 yrs. output should be around 14.2-14.4v normally, no higher. sometimes on cold days it can creep up in the 15s, but after the car warms up it should drop back down.
Old 06-03-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply. Do I have the correct O2 Sensor listed?
Old 06-03-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yup thats the right part! and price sounds normal to me, i paid around $50 for mine too.
Old 07-24-2010
Registered!!

Just updating my post for those interested in the outcome.

Replaced my O2 sensor with BOSCH Part # 13532 (OE Type - Exact Fit Upstream) and it fit totally fine. The car has slightly better throttle response but the biggest difference is my gas mileage went up quite a bit. Before the O2 I was getting around 350miles to a tank and since the change I'm upwards of 400miles. Looks like it would be a good idea to replace the stock O2 sensor before it starts to fail due to the how much it can affect gas mileage.

My major issue was with overcharging and an SES light which I believed was a failing voltage regulator in the alternator. Before putting in the new alternator I decided to take the old one to get tested. The test displayed everything in the green but not knowing what else could cause the voltage issue I replaced it anyways. Turns out I was right and after replacing the alternator I have no more SES light and no more overcharging issues. I also went with the Life Time Warranty Alternator from NAPA.

Hope this post helps anybody who come across similar issues.
Old 05-11-2012
Registered!!

jsphwallace is an unknown quantity at this point

hey guys i know this thread is old but i didn't wanna start a new one, today i was testing my alternator and when i have the multimeter hooked up without the car on it reads 12.66V,then when i start my car with no lights on no radio or anything it's reading from 15.3-15.7 and will stay there for a while my inside dome lights do flicker a bit if i open the door when it's first started. But anyways after the engine warms up it jumps back down to 14.6-14.7V, is this normal? also it's not cold today was about 75 degrees,but i just want some input.
Old 05-11-2012
Premium Member

definately not normal and seems to be the same overcharge issue as the first poster. on a very cold day (well below freezing) you may see 15s but once car is warm or in hot weather above freezing you should be reading no higher than 14.2v maybe 14.4v max. it looks like yours is in the beginning stages but if you wait, the extra current can cause electricals to start failing, not to mention the battery being ruined and possibly leaking acid.
Old 05-11-2012
Registered!!

jsphwallace is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Gearbox,that's what i thought but wanted a extra opinion, just realized a little bit ago it caused one of my brake lights to blow out, so i'm definitely gonna get a new alternator asap and replace it before anything else more serious goes up.