7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing belt replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fraggingrev is an unknown quantity at this point
Timing belt replacement?

I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX coupe that I bought recently, yet on the carfax it has no information about the timing belt being replaced, which leads me to assume it never was. The car has about 150,000 miles on it, and I am wondering what suggestions you guys have that I can apply to this?

Should I keep it safe and pay the $600 it will cost to replace it? Or take the risk and not replace the belt to save the money it will cost?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-30-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Timing belt replacement?

Remove the upper timing belt cover and inspect the belt. If there is any kind of wear whatsoever change it.
Old 05-30-2010
Registered!!

Gold Ghost has a spectacular aura aboutGold Ghost has a spectacular aura about

deff do wut tbohar said. but personally with it being unknown if it was ever replaced even if it looks ok i would change it. there is a decent diy on the forum but if u dun feel 100% confident just pay the 600 an keep it safe. the 600 u pay to keep ur motor safe is better then the belt breakin an causing worse damage. thats just my .02 an im a feak for keepin up on that stuff.
Old 05-31-2010
Registered!!

ExistEvolution is on a distinguished road

replace it, its not hard at all to do. Dealers just scare you with "if you don't put it on right with the cam and crank aligned it will blow up", that's the only hurdle, just take your time and double check your timing marks when putting new one on. Very easy
Old 05-31-2010
Registered!!

tom1987tm should not be trusted

definitely replace it! i bought an 02 ex for 500$ because the belt broke. im in the middle of replacing the head and belts and all that ****. im doing the work myself and its costing me about 600 or so just in parts. for the minor cost to just get it done its work it. you dont want to have to deal with it if the timing belt snaps. chances are you will have to replace the whole engine.
Old 06-01-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

If you replace it DIY

Last edited by BlueEM2; 06-01-2010 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-01-2010
Registered!!

fraggingrev is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tbohar
If you replace it DIY
Appreciate the replies.

Haha, I couldn't trust doing it myself. I might screw something up, as I have no idea how to change a timing belt. I might end up just having to let my mechanic do it. They said it would be around $600.. ugh.
Old 06-02-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by fraggingrev
Appreciate the replies.

Haha, I couldn't trust doing it myself. I might screw something up, as I have no idea how to change a timing belt. I might end up just having to let my mechanic do it. They said it would be around $600.. ugh.
200 if you do it yourself, its not hard at all. Dealership service centers just makes it seam like it is harder then it actually is.

Basic Run Down.

Remove plastic shield, jack up car on driver side, remove driver side wheel, remove the the coil packs, remove alternator, move power steering pump to side, remove metal bracket that holds alternator and power steering pump on, place secondary jack and wooden 2x4 to support motor, remove driver side motor-mount, remove valve cover, remove upper timing, remove crank puilley (use crank pulley tool), remove lower timing cover, and walla you have accessed the timing belt.

**just make sure that timing belt crank pulley and camshaft pulley are lined up on their marks before putting new timing belt on**
Old 06-02-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Yea it's pretty easy. If I could do it anyone can really... The only special tools you need are the crank pulley remover tool and a belt tension checker, a big breaker bar and some pipe in case you need some more strength. I mean, cost rundown:

Timing belt : 30 bucks?
Pulley remover tool : 30 bucks?
belt tension checker : 15 bucks?
Water pump : 80 bucks
Tensioner : 80 bucks
Valve cover gasket + all other gaskets maybe 50 bucks.

roughly 300 dollars or so and your changing the water pump and tensioner too which isn't included in the dealer cost. This includes some tools too that you get to keep.
Old 06-02-2010
HLC
Registered!!

HLC is an unknown quantity at this point

www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

timing belt: 16$
water pump: 55$

total=71$
Old 06-02-2010
Whachya lookin at?

wow must be nice to live in the states

here in canada water pump = 130
tensioner = 130
belt = 30;

but if your there already you might as well change the tensioner... as well as some of the gaskets and such that you come across.
Old 06-02-2010
Registered!!

tom1987tm should not be trusted

im in the middle of this now. where can i get the pully removal tool and tensioner checker?
Old 06-02-2010
Whachya lookin at?

its not a tensioner checker, its a tension checker. You can get it at most parts stores... the pulley remover tool call around. i think its a 55mm hex or something like that.. worst case scenario you have to get it online. this is something you should have in your hands before you start the job, otherwise you might be waiting for its delivery halfway through the job.
Old 06-03-2010
Registered!!

AriAnaheimGold is an unknown quantity at this point

My car is at about 103k... looks like i'll have to start accumulating the parts to put on a new belt....
Old 06-03-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Just check it first, I pulled mine at 90k and it looked brand new. It probably could have gone another while. But at 100k your getting pretty close to replacement time.
Old 06-08-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
Yea it's pretty easy. If I could do it anyone can really... The only special tools you need are the crank pulley remover tool and a belt tension checker, a big breaker bar and some pipe in case you need some more strength. I mean, cost rundown:

Timing belt : 30 bucks?
Pulley remover tool : 30 bucks?
belt tension checker : 15 bucks?
Water pump : 80 bucks
Tensioner : 80 bucks
Valve cover gasket + all other gaskets maybe 50 bucks.

roughly 300 dollars or so and your changing the water pump and tensioner too which isn't included in the dealer cost. This includes some tools too that you get to keep.
you don't need tension checking tool if you buy the timing belt replacement kit, because it has a spring tensioner, you could check it all you want but you can't adjust it, so this tool is unnecessary.

when you get the timing marks set and the belt in place i held the i put a little tension on the belt with my fingers then pulled the belt tensioner pin and walla perfect tension (i did this as a preventative measure so when i pulled the pin it didn't knock one pulley out of timing)
Old 06-08-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Yes but you do have to adjust the tension on the accessory and p/s belt...
Old 06-14-2010
Registered!!

Protan988 is an unknown quantity at this point

Change it and be safe.
Old 06-14-2010
Registered!!

Miz017 is an unknown quantity at this point

i just got my car back from the mechanic. he changed my timing belt, water pump, and all seals. i decided to take it there because i was nervous about a diy attempt. 2 WEEKS AND $600 LATER i get my car back. it should only take 2 days and about $150 if you buy all new seals and everything, VC gasket included. After pouring over diy tutorials and videos for a couple days, i am sure i could do it myself.

don't psych yourself out. just do your research and take your time.
Old 06-14-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Haha it's not very hard