7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

header install

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mbrishke can only hope to improve
header install

took it upon myself to install a cheap ebay header since my oem header was about to fall apart..

before
Name:  P4040049.jpg
Views: 2224
Size:  96.6 KB

heat shield removed revealing the crack, and a roasted wasp i think..
Name:  P5040072.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  95.5 KB

header removed, that is p.b blaster on the ground btw in case your wondering..
Name:  P5040074.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  88.1 KB

-edit: after driving 80 miles
Name:  P5040078.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  105.8 KB

all in all i think it took me about 2 hrs and 30 mins, and this is basically my first time turning a wrench on a car..
fired it up, no leaks, took it for a wot run and dont feel much difference up top, but i definitly feel a difference in the mid range.

so i am now catless, using the weapon R CEL eliminator, and so far its working fine.

so we'll see how long this cheapo header lasts, if it cracks anytime soon i guess ill just do a ex exhaust conversion since im now confident in my ability to do it myself.

Last edited by mbrishke; 05-14-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-13-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: header install

Ebay intake or not! Nice job Did you torque it down to the proper specs? If you overtightened the nuts it will be a nightmare to remove
Old 05-13-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

nice job but cheap headers tend to rust very quicklyi woild remove it and paint it with high heat header paint and i would get rid of that cheap air filter asap.
Old 05-13-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

or find a place that'll ceramic coat it for ya
Old 05-13-2010
Registered!!

yea, i ordered a aem dry flow
and i didn't evan think of painting the header...
Old 05-13-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

on the dry flow
Old 05-13-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Take your time, lots of thin coats with some time inbetween.. high temp spray paint. You might want to scuff it down with some fine sandpaper too so the paint sticks... high temp primer might even be a good idea too if you can find it.
Old 05-14-2010
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html
Old 05-16-2010
Registered!!

mc670 is an unknown quantity at this point

does the header throw a check engine light? or what do you have to do to prevent that?
Old 05-16-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Yours will because you've eliminated the catalytic converter. Ways around that is to do the spark plug non-fouler thing or convert to an ex exhaust setup.

edit: just read you're using a CEL eliminator.. disregard my post.. What code is it throwing?

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 05-16-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by tbohar
Ebay intake or not! Nice job Did you torque it down to the proper specs? If you overtightened the nuts it will be a nightmare to remove
just realized your post.. lol.. You'll strip the threads before you overtighten them..
Old 05-16-2010
Whachya lookin at?

True, but if you don't put them on the the torque spec you'll never, ever get them off after a few years of corroding
Old 05-16-2010
HLC
Registered!!

HLC is an unknown quantity at this point

itll last. i have a similar ebay header and it's lasted for probably 2 or 3 years now. hasnt rusted at all but it did discolor from the heat.
Old 05-16-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Yours will because you've eliminated the catalytic converter. Ways around that is to do the spark plug non-fouler thing or convert to an ex exhaust setup.

edit: just read you're using a CEL eliminator.. disregard my post.. What code is it throwing?
whats this CEL eliminator and spark plug non fouler thing? sorry for so many questions, i tried searching and im still totally lost.
Old 05-16-2010
Whachya lookin at?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...simulator.html

That's the defouler. It basically backs up the o2 sensor so it does not detect as much gases after the cat has been eliminated. Turning off your check engine light which comes on due to the o2 sensor.
Old 05-16-2010
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

with your car you can't use the defouler trivk because its to long and will hit your alternater you need to get a Angled mechanical simulater megan racing makes one for 25 bucks.
http://www.robearracing.com/pd-megan...or-cel-fix.cfm
Old 05-16-2010
Whachya lookin at?

^ Good call
Old 05-16-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by lowlife9
with your car you can't use the defouler trivk because its to long and will hit your alternater you need to get a Angled mechanical simulater megan racing makes one for 25 bucks.
http://www.robearracing.com/pd-megan...or-cel-fix.cfm
he said he has a weapon-r one, which (from their website) looks like it does the angled bit.
Old 05-17-2010
Registered!!

thats the first one i bought and then found out it was to long to install with the header on the car so i didn't feel like taking it off and just ordered the megan one.
Old 05-17-2010
Registered!!

thats the first one i bought and then found out it was to long to install with the header on the car so i didn't feel like taking it off and just ordered the megan one.
I don't even see the megan racing one on there website anywhere...
Old 05-17-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mc670
I don't even see the megan racing one on there website anywhere...
what model car do you have ??? the link i put up goes directly to the megan angled simulator i dont see how you can't find it.

Last edited by lowlife9; 05-17-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-20-2010
Registered!!

the weapon R CEL eliminator fit on my car just fine, just make sure you put it on the header before you put the header on the car. 300+ miles with it so far and no CEL ( my commute is 80 miles a day ;o )
Old 05-20-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

The reason why you have to get a defouler for an after market header is because the cat if it still has one is not like the oem cat. If you look into a cat all it is is a big honeycomb and where the secondary sensor is it is basically surronded by a big wall. When you take it out of that wall it will sense all of those gases just like the primary sensor which causes the check engine which is usually called o2 sensor below the threshold. When you put it in the defouler it acts just like that cat with the wall.

But a ebay header is a great replacement for a header if it cracks or anything. It is cheap rather than the oem cat which is expensive.
Old 05-20-2010
Registered!!

what model car do you have ??? the link i put up goes directly to the megan angled simulator i dont see how you can't find it.
my bad, i never seen the link haha.
Old 05-23-2010
Registered!!

D17cancun is an unknown quantity at this point

hey when a installed mine

ther was a error on the cluster the engine check showed up

that was only about 3 or 4 days then dessapear by his self a never came back since 3 years ago,

now our days this light came up and i scanned so the issue iis the o2 sensor, the issue was, for drivin in first gear for about 2 miles at 2500 revs, i took away the sensor and it was burned,
why driving in first gear for 2 miles, cuz my clutch master cilynder is broken, son pressure

saludos banda!
Old 05-31-2010
Registered!!

tom1987tm should not be trusted

im thinking about getting an ebay header too? who did you buy it from? did it bolt up to your stock exhaust? in have an 02 ex. im new to the scene... so can someone explain how to eliminate the cat without throwing codes all day?
a newb question in know....
Old 06-01-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tom1987tm
im thinking about getting an ebay header too? who did you buy it from? did it bolt up to your stock exhaust? in have an 02 ex. im new to the scene... so can someone explain how to eliminate the cat without throwing codes all day?
a newb question in know....
you won't have any problem with throwing cel code's cuz you car is an ex, different exhaust setup. Just make sure when you search it on ebay the header your looking for is to fit an ex, not a dx or lx.