7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

removing calk

Old 05-02-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LittleBlack02 is an unknown quantity at this point
removing calk

hey guys im fixing my headlight today (theres moisture in it and its making it all foggy) whats the best way to get the old calk out of the seems of the headlight?
i know the whole process with the oven and all, this is my second time doing it and i dont think it worked the first time because i didn't get all the old calk out so it didn't fit snug.
help! so i can get this done fast
Old 05-02-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: removing calk

shouldnt really be putting caulk in there. you need the butyl stuff that comes on a roll, very similar to what they use at the factory. 3M windoweld ribbon sealer and most auto stores carry it. its sticky and flexible. just shove it in the channel, heat it up, and push the halves together.
Old 05-02-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
shouldnt really be putting caulk in there. you need the butyl stuff that comes on a roll, very similar to what they use at the factory. 3M windoweld ribbon sealer and most auto stores carry it. its sticky and flexible. just shove it in the channel, heat it up, and push the halves together.
well im gonna need to get the original calk out to put 3M windoweld in, what do you recommend i do? a razor blade didn't work to efficiently.

Last edited by LittleBlack02; 05-02-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-02-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

What a mess. I hate caulk. After it's set really the only way is to carve it out... which is hella time consuming.
Old 05-02-2010
Registered!!

the ovens heating up right now.
glad im gonna spend 3 hours carving calk lol
Old 05-02-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea. Call your local hardware store and see if they have anything that would soften it up. I think anything that would though might damage the headlights though. So be careful.
Old 05-02-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
Yea. Call your local hardware store and see if they have anything that would soften it up. I think anything that would though might damage the headlights though. So be careful.
nah i just sat there with a razor pen for like an hour or two and carved it out. worked perfect. just need to fix the haze.
i have plast-x but no buffer...if i do the DIY by hand will that work?
Old 05-02-2010
Whachya lookin at?

It does work but it takes a long take and you will get a decent workout from it. Especially if you just carved caulk for two hours LOL... There is actually a DIY on the RSX forum where the guy does it by hand...

This is becoming more work than you thought I bet!
Old 05-02-2010
Registered!!

It does work but it takes a long take and you will get a decent workout from it. Especially if you just carved caulk for two hours LOL... There is actually a DIY on the RSX forum where the guy does it by hand...

This is becoming more work than you thought I bet!
well unfortunately for my headlights, and fortunately for my arms i don't have the right sand paper to do it, so i'm saving that for another time and im just going to wash her
Old 05-02-2010
Whachya lookin at?

There ya go... It's no big deal you can do it with them on the car.. It's way easier with a little die sander tho.
Old 05-02-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

try flathead screwdriver to scrape the old caulk out?
Old 05-06-2010
Registered!!

so i didn't listen to gearbox and used clear window calk...didn't work theres a waste of 5 dollars (note to self: listen to gearbox)
so i went out today got the windoweld, sand paper, and masking tape. finally going to fix my headlight (for good) today, I'll post before and after pics. of course.
Old 05-06-2010
Premium Member

you got the 3m windoweld ribbon sealer in a flat box right? the gooey one thats rolled up in a circle. if you got the one that looks like caulking in a tube, its completely different and not what you want.
Old 05-06-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
you got the 3m windoweld ribbon sealer in a flat box right? the gooey one thats rolled up in a circle. if you got the one that looks like caulking in a tube, its completely different and not what you want.
luckily i did.
even tho im never going to need that much sealer ever again lol im done. im gonna wash her and post pics
Old 05-06-2010
Registered!!

well here we go:
before:
Name:  DSCN0411.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  83.7 KB
Name:  DSCN0410.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  105.4 KB
After:
Name:  DSCN0413.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  104.1 KB
Name:  DSCN0412.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  109.0 KB

finally. thank god.
Old 05-06-2010
Registered!!

i didn't buff hard enough
i'll have to redo the buffing when i do my girlfriends car tomorrow
still alot better! and no moisture
Old 05-06-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Huge Improvement!!!
Old 05-06-2010
Registered!!

Huge Improvement!!!
my arms got tired from buffing lol
luckily I have more sandpaper and Plast-X to do it tomorrow
Old 05-06-2010
Premium Member

looks great, a bit more work and they will be like new again
Old 05-06-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Nice med cabinet you got rockin' there too haha Can't wait to see the FInAL result.
Old 05-07-2010
Registered!!

now do you think i should resand and the buff? or just buff?
Old 05-07-2010
Premium Member

if you have a drill buffer wheel attachment, you should be able to just use plast-x and it will clear up. but by hand, you might need more sanding or at least rubbing compound. thats all on the outside im guessing right? cause when i had water damage, it left some haze on the inside too.