7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Noob. 05 Civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZeroBoyWD is an unknown quantity at this point
Noob. 05 Civic LX

All right how's it going everybody. Generic noob post here.
So a few weeks ago my transmission in my 98 Mustang (not GT) finally give and I lost first gear. Possiblly second. But thats not why Im here.
My new car is a 2005 Honda Civic LX with 84K Miles.
After popping the hood it became readily apparent that this is much different than my domestic V-6.
The car is all stock. I know nothing about Honda. I'm not a racer but I do have a bit of a lead foot but with 115hp I don't expect to be flying through the streets like on NFS.
I'm looking for knowledge here. I don't have a budget, this car is gonna stay with me for a while so if its worth the investment, I'll probably pony up.
So right now at 84K is there anything pressing I should be concerned with? Car runs fine but again, I'm still getting used to the change.
Been flipping through the threads (Yes a noob that uses search =D ) and I see a lot of people saying suspenssion is the big one to upgrade. That and a turbo but that is quite a bit to start doing to a car you havent even got the plates on yet.
But before I digress too much, any pointers you can give me, maybe a nudge in the right direction, it would be appreciated.
-thx
Old 04-29-2010
HLC
Registered!!

HLC is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Noob. 05 Civic LX

i'd say change the fluids, timing belt + other accessory belts, maybe spark plugs etc. the usual things.
Old 04-29-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

and while at it, head gasket
If automatic, pay attention to the transmission too.
Old 04-29-2010
Registered!!

ExistEvolution is on a distinguished road

why head gasket?
Old 04-30-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

you dont need a new head gaskit but your almost due for a transmission belt service including water pump,all belts, timing belt tensioner. also a tune up air filter,oil, transmission fluid drain and fill,and most likely a valve adjustment new plugd wouldn't hurt denso iridium work the best. also inspect your front compliance bushings make sure there ok. ow and your car only makes 90 hp to the wheels.

Last edited by lowlife9; 04-30-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-30-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Head gasket should last the life of the car as long as you don't overheat at and it's not defective. If you change a perfectly good working head gasket you could put in a crap one and blow it in a year or two... The install could also be screwed up causing issues, if it's not broken, don't fix it. I agree with the maintenance stuff listed above though.

I had 80k on my civic when I changed the timing belt and water pump + tensioner. The water pump and tensioner I pulled out look exactly like the one I put it., as in brand new. But I had already bought them so I just installed it anyway. I felt kind of stupid doing it... Even the guy at Honda was asking me why I'm replacing them and trying to talk me out of it... I think if they are in good shape you can leave them in there. These cars are designed to replace the tensioner every second timing belt. I still kind of have mixed feelings about it. Mostly because I live in Canada and the parts are so expensive I spent like 300 bucks on the water pump and tensioner and in the states you can get them for half that.

Last edited by BlueEM2; 04-30-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-30-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

hunh, sorry, have read someplace to do them head gaskets too when you do the timing belt. Was planning to do it when the time comes 20k from now...
Old 04-30-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

You might cause more trouble than anything else if your head gasket is working... They don't really have a lifespan, and should last just about forever if you take care of your car and don't let it overheat.
Old 04-30-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

OK, before i even buy anything when the time comes, i will do the compression test (if nothing overheats, that is! )
Old 04-30-2010
Whachya lookin at?

A compression test will tell you if you are losing compression, not if your head gasket has failed. Of course there is a chance that the loss in compression is a head gasket. There is a better way to check. You have to check for exhaust gases in the cooling system. What happens is that the exhaust gas from the cylinder gets pushed past the head gasket into the water jackets, displacing coolant. They hook a thing up to the rad where the rad cap sits and it has fluid in it, if it changes color there are exhaust gases present. It's a neat little trick If it has not failed, don't fix it, that's where I stand on that.
Old 04-30-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

you beat me to it, i was going to edit for the gas test right now!
Old 04-30-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Are you going to be doing all this work yourself? Man I'm posting a lot on here and not getting any rep at all!!! Boo Erns.
Old 04-30-2010
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

if it came down to it i would probably get a bottle of that head gaskit sealent before i replaced it entirely.and you want some rep you got it .

Last edited by lowlife9; 04-30-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2010
Whachya lookin at?

^ No No No, most of the time I agree with you lowlife9 but not this time... That stuff is crap and seals a lot more than just holes in the head gasket. The water jackets are pretty small, and don't like crap like that introduced to them. You might get away with it but the less clogging agents in the cooling system the better, along with everywhere else in the engine. If you have a head gasket problem, fix it or you will have major problems later. LoL now I'm gonna make mad rep cuz i bitched
Old 04-30-2010
Registered!!

well what i meant was its most likely warped anyway so i would use that till i could find a used engine there pretty cheap.
Old 04-30-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Oh in that case I agree. If your trying to get the last little bit out of your engine for sure. I'd rep ya back but I have to spread it around

I don't see why it would be warped unless it had some overheating going on though. If it's not too warped a machine shop car still resurface it.. If it overheated bad though it's warped beyond repair or sometimes it even cracks the head.
Old 04-30-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

guys, i am not the OP... Just apologizing for saying the head gasket here...

Now get a room for yourselves
This was actually one of the first things i worried with the engine stuff after more than 90k miles, together with the timing belt and water pump and valve adjustment, without having real engine issues since all of us own honda's!
Chill down and stop harassing me! :P
I just got too upset with some guy(s) (in the other thread(s)!!!!)

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-30-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-30-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

to the OP, i will post in a separate post for better seriousness (I am ignoring the mustang part:P):
check here, since this will not come up first in a serach:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...e-up-mods.html. most of the items should be here!: )

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-30-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-30-2010
Whachya lookin at?

No worries... I try to get along with everyone, and I have no issues with lowlife, he is a very helpful member and without a doubt knows way more than i do about our cars..

I'm learning myself, but I just replaced the head gasket in my civic... i overheated it without being aware like a *#$@&( tool... so I know a thing or two about head gaskets.

As far as the OP goes, he probably has not even been on since his post lol
Old 04-30-2010
Registered!!

did i miss something who is being harassed ???
Old 04-30-2010
Whachya lookin at?

LoL I was so focused on everything else he said I totally missed that. We aren't harassing you, just trying to help
Old 04-30-2010
Registered!!

if you misunderstood we were not harassing you made a honest mistake and i didn't want this guy to think he needed expensive un needed repairs
Old 05-01-2010
Registered!!

ExistEvolution is on a distinguished road

omg thank goodness on the no repair of hg, i just did my timing belt stuff
Old 05-02-2010
Registered!!

ZeroBoyWD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
to the OP, i will post in a separate post for better seriousness (I am ignoring the mustang part:P):
check here, since this will not come up first in a serach:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...e-up-mods.html. most of the items should be here!: )
That was actually one of the first threads I read. Got a print out at my house on the kitchen table. =D
Props to all for the lively responses. The engine is in solid shape. We got the car from a dealership and they had a lot of routine work orders (fluids and the like.) New plugs and wires sound good. Lowlife thank you for the 90hp at the wheels info lol. Good to know. Yeah I think a new HG would be overkill. Ah and quick question. I slapped a K&N filter on my mustang more for the convience than the magic powers they claim to give cars. Hype or worth it on the Civic?
Old 05-02-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Hype. You won't get ANY power gains whatsoever from a K&N Filter, or even a short ram or cold air intake for that matter. These engines don't respond well to bolt ons. If you want it for convenience, go for it
Old 05-02-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by lowlife9
if you misunderstood we were not harassing you made a honest mistake and i didn't want this guy to think he needed expensive un needed repairs
don't worry, i was just messing with you guys for messing with me becuase i messed up on the advice! Wow, now i am messed up in the head even more!
Old 05-02-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Oh boy!!! All is well than I guess.
Old 05-02-2010
Registered!!

filter wont do anything except sound cool also i wouldn't get a K!!&N for the civic get a AEM dry flow it filters better and does not require oil which can gunk up sensors . put it this way i have a aem short ram intake megan headerwith cat delete going threw 2'25 inch piping and straight threw exhaust and i gained about 12hp if im lucky.
Old 05-02-2010
Whachya lookin at?

^ Aye, i wish they made AEM dry flow drop ins
Old 05-02-2010
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point

is it an auto or manual?

Quick Reply: Noob. 05 Civic LX