7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car shut off..

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ondalow01 has a spectacular aura aboutondalow01 has a spectacular aura about
Car shut off..

I was driving on the highway at 60mph, then the power from my car just died, theres electricity checked the fuses and connections, has a new alternator, new timing belt new clutch, spark plugs, full tune up i was wondering if anyone else had this problem. the car tries to start but theres no real spark. I was thinking the ignition and coil system since hondas are known for that. any help would be appreciated.

its a 2002 honda civic no engine mods. and 160k
Old 04-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Car shut off..

make sure the grounds are tight .
Old 04-28-2010
Registered!!

sk8nbmxr411 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow did you **** when your car died? Ive had a car shut off on me while I was going 30, and even that slow the lack of power brakes and steering was pretty nuts. The problem with my car was the grounds. so I upgraded all of my grounds with some nice thick wire.
Old 04-29-2010
Registered!!

Thanks guys,

sk8nbmxr411, i was more like wtf, nor really scared but it sucked because the highway i was on there isnt an emergency lane.

As far as the grounds go i checked them and they seem fine, i changed the one that goes from the engine to the front frame. I also checked the spark plugs and they look fine, they're just 6k old. It attemps to start, you hear the bottom of the engine cranking so it must be something up top. Any thoughts?
Old 04-30-2010
Registered!!

seoul4korea can only hope to improve

Check your spark. I had the same issue and found only one of my spark plugs where firing right. It ended up being the PCM. It goes PCM-----Ignition coils------Spark plugs that's it.
Old 04-30-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

New timing belt or not, this really sounds like it either broke or slipped off.
Old 05-01-2010
Registered!!

ExistEvolution is on a distinguished road

that could be a toast engine if the belt slipped off
Old 05-01-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it sure sounds like it to me. Why would the car just suddenly die on the highway? But still crank?
Old 05-01-2010
Registered!!

any status on this?
Old 05-01-2010
Registered!!

i will be doing a check tomorrow, been too busy, but im going with an electrical problem or maybe the fuel pump is gone, ill update tomorrow.
Old 05-01-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Keep us posted I'm interested in what happened here. Hopefully just the PCM. How much is that to replace seoul?
Old 05-01-2010
Registered!!

Well I got a PCM off of Ebay for like $150 then took it to honda to have reprogrammed for like $80ish. did all of the labor myself including towing it to honda. Brand New the PCM is $550+ Plus who knows how much for labor and such. It's really easy to do if you need me to walk you through it. Also make sure you get it from a good source if you get it off of ebay. I got mine from someone that JUST sells ECU's. I have the part number too.
Old 05-01-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Cool.. I don't need a PCM my car runs fine I'm just wondering ... trying to get as much info off this forum as possible lol

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2010
Registered!!

Ok so finally checked the car out today, ends up my timing belt is not even on the teeth, the tentioner must of when or something, so that's why there's no start. I will be doing the fix on Sat after finals are done. Thanks for all the help, if more comes out of it i will definitely post and keep you guys updated.

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2010
Registered!!

theres a pick of it on the tow truck, first time posting a pick so not sure if it worked.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	civic.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	78270  
Old 05-02-2010
Whachya lookin at?

I figured as much ... hopefully everything is okay internally... generally the engine does not fair well when the timing belt comes off. How many miles do you have on the new belt?
Old 05-02-2010
Registered!!

When I bought the car 1 yr ago I was told that it had a new timing belt clutch and waterpump. So i would estimate it has 10k. Which is farely new. Maybe the people just did a bad job. This time around it will be done right. I just hope I didn't bent any valves. Or did any damage to the internals.
Old 05-02-2010
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

is it under warranty ???
Old 05-02-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Unfortunately if your timing belt slipped off I highly suggest removing the head and getting it THOROUGHLY checked. The chance is better that you did do internal damage than it is that your okay. The least you can do is get everything checked out. I'd take it back and scream at them if it is a new belt a year should be no problem on it. I hope everything is still under warranty.

The last thing you want to do is put a new belt on and have massive cam/valve/piston issues. Those parts are not designed to come in contact and when they do it's generally KaBOOM...

At least get a compression and leak down tests done.

BTW sweet car, I hope you get it going soon.

Last edited by BlueEM2; 05-02-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-02-2010
Whachya lookin at?

923 posts and my first double FTFL.
Old 05-02-2010
Registered!!

well i bought the car in LI and im in CT so there would be no point on trying to go to the place it got done at.. plus i was never present when they did it it was the previous owner, I did take the cover off and checked for anything weird, nothing seems bad, but its not until it actually starts that i will notice it. If it comes down to engine damage ill just swap it out for a engine with less mileage. maybe have an excuse for a K20
Old 05-02-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Sounds good, at least you are aware of the damage it could have caused. if you do a compression test before the timing is corrected you wont get atrue reading.

Last edited by BlueEM2; 05-02-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-03-2010
Registered!!

Spac is an unknown quantity at this point

I hadthis just happen to me. Honda did the timing belt back in January, and it looks like the tensioner pully let go. The dealer was really good about fixing it on their dime. Bunch of valves, cam, cam bearing/seal and a couple other things as well. I don't even want to know what the total cost would have been if I had to foot the bill.
Old 05-03-2010
Registered!!

yeap, your right it tbohar, and Damm thats alot of different things, if it comes down to it i will just scrap the engine because im well over my warranty.
Old 05-03-2010
Registered!!

dam that sucks man but at least you know what it is before you started spending mony on random stuff. car looks nice by the way were you at the uconn show ???

Last edited by lowlife9; 05-03-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2010
Whachya lookin at?

You probably don't have to replace the engine. Find a used head, get it checked and resurfaced and put it on the block. I'd take the old head off to make sure the pistons aren't annihilated though. Generally 60+ mph timing belt failure is not pretty.

If you get a new engine it's still used. If you get a new head for your block you pretty well know where you stand and don't have to worry about it for quite a while. Not to mention if you can do the work yourself you save money there, and a head is *Probably* cheaper than a new engine.

Just a thought.
Old 05-04-2010
Registered!!

lowlife, thanks, i wasnt at the car show, i didnt know they had one, maybe ill go the next time as long as my car is running lol, and thanks on that info tbohar, ill deff look into a new head, and yes i know a new engine is used, but considering my car is now past 160k, an engine with 40k on it would be nice. i will be doing the work my self with a buddy thats a honda guru. this sat i will be replacing the timing belt and seeing how the car runs just to get it running.
Old 05-05-2010
Registered!!

So took the power steering, alternator and top timing belt cover, grabbed the belt and it was ripped ... great, this sat determines how its going to run
Old 05-05-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Do yourself a favor, when you get the timing belt on do a compression test. If you fail the test you can just go right ahead and remove the head. It takes 10 minutes to do and you will know for sure if the car will run good or not... I know I'm repeating myself here but why waste all the work of putting the car back together if it's not going to run anyway?
Old 05-05-2010
Registered!!

I hear you man, ill do my self that favor. just pissed, why the *** does the belt have to rip... for real how often does that happen..

Quick Reply: Car shut off..