7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sway Bar Link

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cchiang12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sway Bar Link

What do you guys think about this link? need to replace?
Or does it look normal?
I've been hearing clicking sound when go over very small bumps. I've read that it could be the link...
This link is on the driver's side.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_042710_001.jpg
Views:	2749
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	78237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_042710_005.jpg
Views:	2367
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	78238  
Old 04-27-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sway Bar Link

its hard to see in the pics, but that connecting bar should be straight. if it is bent like i think it is, time to replace before it snaps. also since the oems are not greasable, they will wear out over time and start to make noise due to lack of internal lubrication. the moog replacement links are pricey but much stronger. kragen and advance auto should carry em.
Old 04-28-2010
Registered!!

Yeah, the bolt connect to the link is bent. Not sure if that would case any click noise however... There is a click noise when go over bump that has been driving me crazy.

Any one has a procedure on how to change sway bar link? This will be my first time doing it.
Old 04-28-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its pretty easy, just put the front of the car up on jackstands (both sides) and then remove the old links. you have to use an alen wrench in the middle while turning the nut with a regular wrench, otherwise it will just spin. install the new ones the same way. do one side at a time and do not fully tighten the nuts until both sides are loosely in place. tighten them down enough so the bar doesnt move, then lower the car and tighten them fully (i think around 25-30 ft/lbs). you cannot change them with the car on the ground because the suspension will be loaded and you will not be able to line up the bar with the lca holes.
Old 04-28-2010
Registered!!

Thank you gearbox. I will get the part (from Napa) today and try it this weekend.

I will update : )

The biggest concern I have is that I may not able to fit the new link back in because of the tension... Hopfully that will not be the case.
Old 04-28-2010
Premium Member

if the car is lifted with front two tires off the ground, you can easily get everything back on. the sway bar link studs also pivot around, so you can bend them to fit in the holes.
Old 05-01-2010
Registered!!

I have replaced both sway bar links on my 2001 civic.
Thank you grearbox for the advice.

Just in case newbies like me does a search on this, I have some FYIs:
1.. must have a Ratcheting Wrench. I end up buying a set because it was a pain in the butt using just the regular wrench.
2.. the nut on the top of the link is very difficult to reach, and there's no way I could have used a torque wrench.
3.. go ahead and replace the bar bushing too, they are only $8.00 for two at Napa.