7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

JDM transmission for 01 civic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ptacc9 is an unknown quantity at this point
JDM transmission for 01 civic?

Hi,

I need some help in diagnosing a problem. I have a USA made 2001 Civic LX Sedan Automatic. The transmission from my 01 civic went out and through ebay I bought what they called a "JDM Vtec transmission Civic 01-05". Im pretty sure it's a transmission from an 04 or 05 civic. Anyway, I was assured that I would have no compatability issues. Before explaining what is happening, I am wondering if I have to reprogram the ECU by using a Japan Made civic 04-05 transmission in a USA made civic 01 car. Am i missing something else??

Recently my cousin installed the transmission for me and I got a check engine light with a P1705 code which is for a malfunction in the Neutral safety switch or Transmission Range Switch. One of the symptoms I noticed was when I put the Select Lever on Drive (D), the lever was actually between D and D3. Also when I tried to move the lever to D3 it would just skip it and go to the 2 position both on the lever and the dashboard and the D light on the dashboard started flashing. Nonetheless I erased the codes and took it for a test drive. Everything was good, until I felt the gears shifting like crazy when I slowed down and I got the P1705 code again. Also I felt a strong vibration when I reached 45mph or more.

After that, my cousin replaced the Transmission Range Switch and Wire harness with the ones from the old transmission. This time I didn't get the code and took it for a drive. I haven't tested if the vibration is still there. What I did notice though is that the Shift Lever is still between D and D3. When i move the lever to the D3 position, the D3 light in the dashboard turns on but quickly turns off. When I take my hand off the lever, it goes down to the 2 position which is no longer illuminated in the dashboard. I also am no longer getting that D flashing light anymore.

What we're gonna do next is check if the switch was adjusted correctly.

Any help with this or any suggestions are appreciated. This is driving me crazy!!

Thanks and sorry for the long post.
Old 02-27-2015
Registered!!

Civic809 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: JDM transmission for 01 civic?

Bump
I have the same issue, I got a Civic 2003 EX auto built in Canada and the transmission is JDM Im getting the code P1705. I just want to past the inspection.
Any tips?
Old 09-13-2015
Registered!!

rek305 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having the same issue I know its years later but if you got it fixed it would help a great deal if you can tell me how you finally got it fixed
Thank you in advanced

Originally Posted by ptacc9
Hi,

I need some help in diagnosing a problem. I have a USA made 2001 Civic LX Sedan Automatic. The transmission from my 01 civic went out and through ebay I bought what they called a "JDM Vtec transmission Civic 01-05". Im pretty sure it's a transmission from an 04 or 05 civic. Anyway, I was assured that I would have no compatability issues. Before explaining what is happening, I am wondering if I have to reprogram the ECU by using a Japan Made civic 04-05 transmission in a USA made civic 01 car. Am i missing something else??

Recently my cousin installed the transmission for me and I got a check engine light with a P1705 code which is for a malfunction in the Neutral safety switch or Transmission Range Switch. One of the symptoms I noticed was when I put the Select Lever on Drive (D), the lever was actually between D and D3. Also when I tried to move the lever to D3 it would just skip it and go to the 2 position both on the lever and the dashboard and the D light on the dashboard started flashing. Nonetheless I erased the codes and took it for a test drive. Everything was good, until I felt the gears shifting like crazy when I slowed down and I got the P1705 code again. Also I felt a strong vibration when I reached 45mph or more.

After that, my cousin replaced the Transmission Range Switch and Wire harness with the ones from the old transmission. This time I didn't get the code and took it for a drive. I haven't tested if the vibration is still there. What I did notice though is that the Shift Lever is still between D and D3. When i move the lever to the D3 position, the D3 light in the dashboard turns on but quickly turns off. When I take my hand off the lever, it goes down to the 2 position which is no longer illuminated in the dashboard. I also am no longer getting that D flashing light anymore.

What we're gonna do next is check if the switch was adjusted correctly.

Any help with this or any suggestions are appreciated. This is driving me crazy!!

Thanks and sorry for the long post.
Old 09-13-2015
Registered!!

rek305 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having the same issue I know its years later but if you got it fixed it would help a great deal if you can tell me how you finally got it fixed
Thank you in advanced

Originally Posted by Civic809
Bump
I have the same issue, I got a Civic 2003 EX auto built in Canada and the transmission is JDM Im getting the code P1705. I just want to past the inspection.
Any tips?
Old 07-26-2018
Registered!!

DavidKing is an unknown quantity at this point

Recaliberate the transmission range switch