7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2001 LX Coupe Exhaust Advice

Old 03-02-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mojo_SLC is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 LX Coupe Exhaust Advice

I'm looking for a bit of advice for what to do with my car. The exhaust manifold is cracked and needs to be replaced. It's an LX so it's one of those manifolds that has a catalytic converter integrated into it. I've been told that you can't sell used catalytic converters due to EPA regulations. After looking around a bit, it seems that new versions of an equivalent part are retardedly expensive.

After reading these forums a bit, I stumbled across this guide. It did a pretty good job at clearing everything up, although I still have some questions.

It looks like it boils down to the following.

A) Suck it and pay $250~$350 for a brand new catalytic exhaust convertifold.
B) Buy an EX header and an EX catalytic converter and have someone fit it to work with the rest of the exhaust system.
C) Buy an EX header and install an aftermarket exhaust system.

Plan A is the simple plan that sort of makes me sigh, although it's on the table. Plan B just seems like a stupid idea. Plan C seems somewhat appropriate, although I'm not sure exactly what I would need to purchase because I'm a rookie when it comes to cars.

Some other factors to consider: There is some rust on the exhaust piping that runs along the undercarriage. This makes plan C a bit more appealing. However, there is a good chance I will sell this car. I'm thinking of picking up a hatchback style car. I'm not sure how long it will take me to do this though, I'm indecisive sometimes. In the mean time I'd really like the smell of exhaust to go away.

Any sort of advice and guides would be very well received. Thanks~