7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Leaking Shock

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
craddmd is an unknown quantity at this point
Leaking Shock

Sorry guys, I know suspension stuff (including novices asking how to upgrade) has been thrown up here a million times, but...

That right rear suspension flopping/thumping noise I posted about before turned out to be a leaking shock. The dealer wants $605 (parts+labor) to replace both rear shocks. The thing that concerns me is that I know one of the front struts has had oil running out of it for awhile, it just hasn't produced any noticeable issues. So, if I'm going to spend that much to replace with stock, why not replace with something better?

I've been researching on here and parts sites, and it seems like Tokico HP struts/shocks OR KYB GR-2 struts/shocks with Eibach Pro-kit springs would be a good option. I'm not going to be doing any track days or autocrosses with my '01 (it is an auto, after all), so I'm mainly looking for better control and damping for spirited backroads driving. I'm willing to accept a slight degradation in ride quality (maybe to the extent of my parents' seemingly harsh 2008), but still want some decent compliance. A slight drop would be good. I'd keep it on stock the 14's for now.

Do these sound like good options? Are these just bolt-on parts? Who can I get to do the installation (my tool chest is sparse)? Will the dealer or anyone else be able to do an alignment on it?

Thanks for any input...