7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

very wierd problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tehstriker88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question very wierd problem

ok so i have a 01 civic si, in coldish weather (like around +5 and below) for some reason when i try to start it the starter just spins, not even a kick, but for some odd reason when i plug in my block heater it fires up no prob, any ideas? it's not fuel pump, map is only when its running, i'm out of ideas
it may be a o2 or fuel sensor problem, but i'd like to make sure

Last edited by tehstriker88; 02-08-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2010
Registered!!

seoul4korea can only hope to improve
Re: very wierd problem

Wow that sounds so strange. Maybe the cold start sensor??? I'm not quite sure but i'll can try and brain storm.
Old 02-08-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

You have a block heater? Sweet.
Old 02-09-2010
Registered!!

so i've stumped even you guys
Old 02-09-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

try switching to synthetic oil the viscosity stays the same no matter what temperature so no more hard starts in cold weather.
Old 02-09-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

maybe the starter is just worn? we had a guy come in once and he had the same problem. it wouldnt work in the truck (very cold winters below 0F), just spins, then he would bring it in the store and by the time someone strapped it to the test bench maybe 10 mins later, it warmed up and sure enough it tested good. he goes to install, wont work. he finally bought a new starter and problem solved. that may not be your problem, but it sounds similar. you may also want to take the starter apart and clean it up before just buying a new one. or even go for a used one in good condition. ive seen some for sale here and ebay too. if you bang on the starter with a mallet when it doesnt work, do you hear anything? or does it start the car?
Old 02-10-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm confused. When it is cold does the starter spin but not turn the engine or does the starter turn the engine but the engine does not start?
Old 02-10-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by pjb3
I'm confused. When it is cold does the starter spin but not turn the engine or does the starter turn the engine but the engine does not start?
the starter spins the engine, it just doesn't fire and it is +5c and i'm already using synthetic 5w-20, i'll try the starter thing and let you know, i'll have to try it tomorrow, since i have to wait till my car cools off,

almost the exact problem: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...art-issue.html

Last edited by tehstriker88; 02-10-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-10-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have to leave the block heater plugged in for a while or just plug it in to start the car up?
Old 02-11-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
Do you have to leave the block heater plugged in for a while or just plug it in to start the car up?
if i leave it unplugged overnight i have to plug it in for at least 20 min till it starts to fire, then another 20 before it will run,. (thats when it's -10c to -15c in the morning)
Old 02-11-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Is your antifreeze freezing up??? that would definitely prevent the car from starting up, but the starter would still turn...
Old 02-11-2010
Registered!!

pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

If the starter is turning the engine then I doubt there is anything wrong with the starter.
I don't really have an answer but I would focus on the fuel system. You mention that as the block heater starts to work it starts to fire and after another 20 minutes will start. Electronics are usually all or nothing so if it starts to fire but does not run, that would indicate you have spark but the fuel is incorrect.
Old 02-11-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Let me elaborate on my previous post. if your antifreeze is freezing up (and it sounds like it is ), your mixture of antifreeze/water is incorrect, you have to flush the system. The starter is turning the engine, and the timing belt is trying to spin past a frozen water pump which cannot spin. So the timing belt either does not spin or chews the teeth off the timing belt. They sell testers to see if your antifreeze is up to snuff. I suggest you buy one and see if it's okay. It looks like a hand pump with a gauge on it!

Good luck.
Old 02-11-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

that answer makes the most sense so far. and the block heater replaces the coolant drain bolt in the cylinder head, to warm the coolant. even if the antifreeze mix is okay, it may just be too old and not as effective.
Old 02-11-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
that answer makes the most sense so far. and the block heater replaces the coolant drain bolt in the cylinder head, to warm the coolant. even if the antifreeze mix is okay, it may just be too old and not as effective.
that was one of the first things i looked at, i tested it in -22c weather it was fine. since antifreeze is somewhat cheap, i'll change it next weekend since i gots no $$$

Last edited by tehstriker88; 02-11-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-12-2010
Registered!!

Let me elaborate on my previous post. if your antifreeze is freezing up (and it sounds like it is ), your mixture of antifreeze/water is incorrect, you have to flush the system. The starter is turning the engine, and the timing belt is trying to spin past a frozen water pump which cannot spin. So the timing belt either does not spin or chews the teeth off the timing belt. They sell testers to see if your antifreeze is up to snuff. I suggest you buy one and see if it's okay. It looks like a hand pump with a gauge on it!

Good luck.
If that were the case the car would never start. You can't chew up the teeth on the timing belt or slip a couple of teeth and have the car start and run fine when the temperature is warmer. Also antifreeze does not lose it's effectiveness to prevent freezing over time. The reason antifreeze is replaced is usually because the corrosion additives wear out or it has been diluted by adding too much water.
Old 02-12-2010
Whachya lookin at?

That's exactly what I said. His mix of water/coolant is incorrect, causing it to freeze up. If the frozen water pump is not allowing the timing belt to spin the car would not start until he plugged in the block heater for 20-30 minutes. There is a POTENTIAL to destroy the timing belt (which I have seen happen, if that happens yes your right the car would not start).

Needless to say I hope that's his problem because it's an easy fix
Old 02-12-2010
Registered!!

If the the antifreeze solution had frozen solid so the water pump could not turn, then one of two things would happen, the belt would move but the water pump wouldn't or the belt doesn't move and the crankshaft pulley does. The act of cranking the engine would destroy the timing belt because either the belt slips relative to the water pump or crankshaft. If the belt doesn't spin as you suggest, then also the crankshaft is turned by the starter but the cam doesn't move and the cam is no longer in the correct position relative to the crankshaft. The bottom line is there is no way for a cogged belt to slip with out destroying itself and if somehow it did slip even a small amount, such as one tooth, the engine would run poorly.
Also, if the antifreeze froze solid enough to lock the water pump there is a good chance it would do other damage such as cracking the block or the radiator.
Old 02-14-2010
Registered!!

which hasn't happened i've tried starting it not plugged in at -15 quite a few times so if that was the problem i wouldn't have a car right now, and now i have to bring in my car for that airbag defect
Old 02-19-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tehstriker88
which hasn't happened i've tried starting it not plugged in at -15 quite a few times so if that was the problem i wouldn't have a car right now, and now i have to bring in my car for that airbag defect
well i took it into a shop.... what a waste of money.... on the bright side they gave me a free oil change.but the problem still persists
Old 04-29-2010
Registered!!

so i finally got it right, a friend of my brother is a mechanic he told me to take it in for a compression test and came back (1.70psi 2.50psi 3.80 psi 4.120psi) in other words the only reason my car even started at all was because of my 4th cylinder which was the only one with no problems, just making up for the severe 2nd. soooooo new engine, new belts, new clutch, cranked the kms down to 56k rather than 196k good'n'go
Old 04-30-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Sorry to hear that ... That would have been hard to diagnose over the internet... on the bright side, everything is neeeeewwwww.... If you don't mind me asking, how much did all that work run you in parts and labour? (preferably split up if you can)
Old 05-01-2010
Registered!!

ExistEvolution is on a distinguished road

fuel pump, check it
Old 05-03-2010
Registered!!

Sorry to hear that ... That would have been hard to diagnose over the internet... on the bright side, everything is neeeeewwwww.... If you don't mind me asking, how much did all that work run you in parts and labour? (preferably split up if you can)
umm.. well the paperwork isn't where its supposed to be but i can estimate what everything was

1550 for parts (since everything came with the motor)
1600 for labor (i think it was for 15 hrs)
with gst it was 3393.87... ish

and i thank everyone for the help anyway

Last edited by tehstriker88; 05-03-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-03-2010
Whachya lookin at?

That's not too bad. Your in good shape now anyway. I would have done it in my driveway! But I'm super cheap.
Old 05-03-2010
Registered!!

and your driveway is? and i also was meaning to ask what would be easier on my motor? super or turbo

Last edited by tehstriker88; 05-03-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-03-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Well, they don't make a supercharger for the D series engine so your kind of stuck with turbo My driveway is this lovely place where I spend way too much time