7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Shopping for 7th gen

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
antielvis is an unknown quantity at this point
Shopping for 7th gen

I'm starting to look for a 7th gen civic vtec with around 100k miles. I see that is around when the timing belt should be changed, what other common civic issues should I be looking for when I'm checking out vehicles? Thanks.
Old 01-19-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all
Re: Shopping for 7th gen

if youre looking for a vtec, youre probably looking for an ex, meaning it will have power everything. make sure the door locks and remote keyless entry all work fine, same with the sunroof. make sure you do a carfax too. when you test drive it, its no different than any other car. do it while the radio is off, and with the windows open so you can hear any noises when you accelerate, brake, turn, steer and idle.
Old 01-19-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

autos have some issues, manual should be fine.
Old 01-22-2010
Registered!!

YSIDRAG is an unknown quantity at this point

What you looking to spend? I have a 2002 ex for sale 48k miles.
Its the blue one below.Its been in the garage for the last 2 year. I just dont drive it and dont have time to do the 12-15 shows i use to do with it. I bet ive only put 100-150 miles on it in 2 years. Go to my myspace page and there are a few pics on there aswell.

Jay
Fabricated Performance
Old 01-29-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Buy a 7th gen si. They can be found with bout 60k miles on them for bout 8k. They are nice they come with the k20a3 with i-vtec-e and they have timing chains so dont have to be changed till 150k. Great cars i have one my self and i love it far more than any honda i have owned. Just a suggestion though would like to see more ep3's on the road cause you dont see them as much.
Old 02-01-2010
Registered!!

jgg204 is an unknown quantity at this point

you're looking for a 7th gen civic? why??? it was the worst generation of Honda civic...plagued with flagrant auto-trans design flaws, rocking driver's seats, crappy door lock actuators, cheap engine mounts, and bad factory struts. the only reason why i still have mine is b/c i am saving up for a town-house, and when my auto-transmission died honda agreed to pay for half of the factory rebuild transmission they sent me and then extend the warranty from 12yrs/12K miles on it, all the way up to 3yrs/36K miles. it was an offer i couldn't refuse. to put it into perspective, i have suffered all of the above problems and i only have 75K miles. makes you wonder if the 7th gen civic is something you should go with or if you should just save up a little more and buy an 8th certified used

if you are going to buy a 7th gen civic, make sure all of the above are not present.
Old 02-01-2010
Registered!!

Hondaguy89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jgg204
you're looking for a 7th gen civic? why??? it was the worst generation of Honda civic...plagued with flagrant auto-trans design flaws, rocking driver's seats, crappy door lock actuators, cheap engine mounts, and bad factory struts.

if you are going to buy a 7th gen civic, make sure all of the above are not present.
Sure the 7th gens may have some problems, but when you look at the big picture they are still great cars. You can avoid a lot of trans issues by getting a 5 speed. The rocking drivers seats are annoying, but its an easy fix, and by 100K the factory struts may have already been replaced (if they were problematic). To me, the 7th gen civic is a better buy than pretty much any other car in its price range. They are low mainenance, fun, practical, reliable, and extremely economical.

Just make sure you get it inspected and you should be fine.
Old 02-01-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its a nice car but i agree alot of the factory parts dont cut it. good thing there is aftermarket if i had to do it again, i wouldve gone with 6thgen, and prolly the SI. but im sticking with the 7thgen cause ive already put alot of work into it and it mostly doesnt cause any trouble. altho the trans rebuild is in my future lol.
Old 02-04-2010
Registered!!

speedster is an unknown quantity at this point

You can avoid a lot of trans issues by getting a 5 speed
The 5-speed in the 7th gen had it's problems too with 2nd gear jumping out. Had it torn into under warranty at around 30,000 miles or so. I got 112,000 on it now and it's still tickin strong!
Old 02-05-2010
Registered!!

jgg204 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
its a nice car but i agree alot of the factory parts dont cut it. good thing there is aftermarket if i had to do it again, i wouldve gone with 6thgen, and prolly the SI. but im sticking with the 7thgen cause ive already put alot of work into it and it mostly doesnt cause any trouble. altho the trans rebuild is in my future lol.
i should have kept my 1997 Honda Civic. it had 92K miles (no issues) in 2003 when i bought my 7th gen honda civic. it would still be running today without any issues. lesson learned...
Old 02-09-2010
Registered!!

tehstriker88 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah my 01 si has some clutch problems (me thinks it's a bearing) and yes that second gear one too, but it only pops out when i turn right and let off the clutch at the same time, and a minor front suspension prob, and..... thats it, and mine is at 196,000.

Last edited by tehstriker88; 02-09-2010 at 08:26 PM.