7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2004 Automatic Transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wildcatfan is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Automatic Transmission questions

Found daughters transmission dipstick loose, after adding 2 quarts of Honda ATF fluid the fluid is just showing on the dipstick. The owners manual says the total capacity is 1.6 qts including torq converter.
Heading tothe dealer tomorrow to get another quart.
What is the real capacity for a 2004 automatic?

There was no indication of a leak ie no spots on the driveway etc, Just happened to look at the dipstick while checking oil and coolant. Noticed it loose and some spray around the dipstick an on the firewall. Unsure how long it had been loose. it appeared to be driving and shifting ok. What is the potential for damage?
Thanks
Old 12-04-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2004 Automatic Transmission questions

the entire system capacity is 9 qts. the drain and refill procedure removes 2.9 qts. so for a regular service, you need three bottles. be sure the car (engine+trans) is fully warmed up before checking the trans fluid level, otherwise you can seriously damage the trans by having too much fluid, or not enough. all the dipsticks for these models are loose, but they seal well enough. i too have some spray occasionally but i dont think its a problem. it sounds like you checked the trans fluid with the car cold, since you said you also checked the oil. if thats the case, you need to drain that extra fluid immediately before driving. might as well do a drain and fill and add the proper 3 qts.
Old 12-05-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Since you seen the fluid was low, you should have just done a drain and refill. Like gearbox said its 3 quarts. I would also reccomend you use only Honda ATF fluid.
Old 12-05-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wildcatfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I should have elaborated more.
Originally found the problem as I was leaving for work. When I got home, I drove the car around the neighborhood until the car was warm. Turned off the car and waited a couple of minutes, checked the dipstick, nothing showing. Added about four ounces of Honda ATF. repeated the driving and checking bit. Added 1/4 quart drive and check. Did this 4 or five times until I could just see fluid on the very bottom of the dipstick. That was 2 quarts into the procedure. A bit over a 1/4 quart later I got the fluid between the marks on the dipstick.

Weird thing was there was never any indication of leaks, No puddles on the drive way etc.. Just residue around the dipstick and firewall.

When I checked the fluid each time the vehicle was warm and I waited about 5 minutes after shutting it off to re-check.

Now you all have me worried that I may have inadvertently overfilled it.

If the transmission is now at the normal level and I follow the change procedure wouldn't only about three quarts come out?

Seems like this may be the way to verify the correct level.
Old 12-05-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the longest you can wait to check after turning the engine off is 30 seconds. but you need to check it right away as soon as the engine is shut off. i doubt the fluid was that low to begin with, even 1/2 way below the full line you will notice the way the trans shifts. if the fluid was really 2 qts low, you would have serious problems. so now i bet its way overfilled and you need to drain some out. its okay if youre slightly above the full line, but if its too full you will have overheating issues and the fluid can foam up and get air in it.
Old 12-05-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Honestly, it sounds like you are low on fluid.