Electronics Post your electronic questions here!

Remotes won't lock doors but unlocks doors

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sdnomad is an unknown quantity at this point
Remotes won't lock doors but unlocks doors

I bought a 2004 civic lx and it did not have the remotes. I bought 2 used remotes and programming the remotes went fine. But after they are programmed, the unlock buttons works, the panic buttons work, but the lock buttons do not do a thing. I know the lock buttons are sending a signal because I pushed them when programming the remotes and the locks cycled like they should.

Any ideas what might be the cause?

Last edited by sdnomad; 12-01-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-01-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Remotes won't lock doors but unlocks doors

Are all the doors closed and key out of ignition when attempting locking ??

Do they lock o.k. when the drivers door is closed when using the lock/unlock button on the door ??
Old 12-01-2009
Registered!!

I have all the doors closed and key out of the ignition. I'm standing outside the car pushing the lock button on the remotes and it will not lock. If I push the drivers door lock down, all doors lock automatically. When I push the the unlock button on the remotes, it will unlock doors.

And the lock/unlock on the drivers door works fine.

Also, the interior light does not come on when drivers door opens. I don't know if that has anything to do with the lock buttons on the remotes not working.

Last edited by sdnomad; 12-01-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-01-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

It may, check the black rubber covered plunger switch in the drivers door jamb. 1 screw to remove. It has a single wire.

They are easily broken.

You can use the passenger side switch to swap for testing, they are the same.
Old 12-01-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, if the dome light isnt working, your door switch is prolly broken, and the keyless thinks the door is open (and if the door is open, it will not lock the doors as a safety feature).
Old 12-12-2009
Registered!!

I should have said the dome light does not come on when any of the 4 doors are open. The dome light bulb is good because it does come on when the dome light is switched to on.
Old 01-30-2012
Registered!!

biobot93 is an unknown quantity at this point

this is the exact same thing happening to my car. mine have worked perfect for the last month until tonight. more help would be much apperciated!

04 EX em2 sedan
Old 01-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

If I am not mistaken, each button is programmed individually?
Old 01-30-2012
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by biobot93
this is the exact same thing happening to my car. mine have worked perfect for the last month until tonight. more help would be much apperciated!

04 EX em2 sedan
Just check the door button(s).
Old 01-31-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
yeah, if the dome light isnt working, your door switch is prolly broken, and the keyless thinks the door is open (and if the door is open, it will not lock the doors as a safety feature).

this makes no sense to me, if it thinks the door is open, then why does the drivers side door lock when you push it down. or why isint the open door indicator on the dash on?
Old 01-31-2012
Registered!!

i fixed mine, turns out it was one of the other doors that were open. so check your other door switches as well as the drivers
Old 01-31-2012
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Haha, who would of knew..
Old 01-31-2012
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by biobot93
so check your other door switches as well as the drivers
From my earlier post- "Just check the door button(s)."
Old 08-13-2013
Registered!!

astateofmind is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

i have a similar problem: when i unlock the doors it works, when i try to lock them using the controls it fails, i can hear 2 clicks from under the dashboard but nothing happens.

I had the same problem with the dome lights so i figured that there was a problem with the door switches, checked them - one was not in his place so i put it back and now seems to be ok with the dome lights: when i open a door it lights up (before it didn't) when i close it it shuts but the doors are still not locking with the controls. I supposed it still detects my doors as being open somehow.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

PS: the car is a 2001 Civic.
Old 10-12-2017
Registered!!

rwatson is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Remotes won't lock or unlock doors after programing my 2001 honda civic coupe 2 d

Originally Posted by sdnomad
I bought a 2004 civic lx and it did not have the remotes. I bought 2 used remotes and programming the remotes went fine. But after they are programmed, the unlock buttons works, the panic buttons work, but the lock buttons do not do a thing. I know the lock buttons are sending a signal because I pushed them when programming the remotes and the locks cycled like they should.
remotes
Old 08-16-2018
Registered!!

Trino is an unknown quantity at this point

Could this also make the engine light come on? My doors are doing the same thing and it happened same time my engine light came on.
Old 08-16-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Nope not related whatsoever.
either buy a scanner or go to a parts store to have them read the codes. Post a new thread with the code numbers Pxxxx format.
Old 08-17-2018
Registered!!

Trino is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok thanks. I will do that.
Old 10-08-2019
Registered!!

Ray jr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sdnomad

I have similar problem, when I try to lock my doors with remote all doors lock besidea the driver door. Any suggestions?
Old 10-08-2019
Super Moderator

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,295 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Possibly a bad lock actuator. You will need to remove the door panel and check if the actuator is getting power/ground when it should.
Old 10-08-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Possibly a bad lock actuator. You will need to remove the door panel and check if the actuator is getting power/ground when it should.
Could also be broken wires in the door harness
Old 05-30-2023
Registered!!

Juliarb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the suggestion regarding one of the doors not being properly closed as I also had been having my key fob work as usual to unlock but not to lock the doors. The boot open indicator light was showing as something was jammed in the boot door when closed so although the boot was essentially shut, it was triggering the boot open indicator. It would never in a million years have occurred to me that this would stop the key fob from locking the car doors! Much appreciated for the helpful advice.