7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

cold air or short ram

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
saadd is an unknown quantity at this point
cold air or short ram

hey guys, i got a 01' civic coupe, wanted to put a cold air or short ram intake on it. Ive seen threads saying that short rams are they way to go.

But what im worried about is that my car's auto .. which one would would be better for an auto and would it make a difference to the performance/sound?

Also, how much should it cost me for the intake and installation? (im in toronto)

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: cold air or short ram

go with a cheap ebay short ram pipe and replace the filter with a AEM cone. or if you have the money get a weapon r secret weapon short ram. the installation will be free because you can do it yourself.
Old 09-15-2009
Registered!!

GreenMachineDX is an unknown quantity at this point

It All Depends On The Weather Which U Guys Have, If U Guys Get Alot Of Rain Up There, Then short is the way to go, but if u dont get rain and flooding, then u can go get u long.

Long Intake Is More Better tho but in rain it easy sucks the water up and that causes ur engine hydrolock Which means ur engine got water inside it..
Old 09-15-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

in our car, the performance is the same for cold air or short ram, so go with the one that is way safer, and get the short ram. its a million times easier to access. you undo one screw thats right in front of your face to remove the filter each time you want to clean it. also, it is way way safer, especially with you being in ontario where theres rain and snow throughout the year.

the brand of intake (the pipe itself) does not matter. any cheap intake pipe will work. when you get your intake system, put the filter they give you on the shelf and go get a good quality filter like lowlife9 said and get an aem dryflow filter. you can buy those online too or probably in a local shop.

installation is brainless. very very easy and can be done in about 20 minutes. you dont even need any experience or big tools.
Old 09-15-2009
Registered!!

unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

oh and if youre going to buy a cheap ebay short ram intake system, 90% of them are 3" intake pipes with a 3" filter. youd have to see if you could find an aem dryflow filter that fits the same pipe, or find an ebay cheap system that has a 2.5" intake pipe so you can fit a standard aem dryflow filter on it.
Old 09-15-2009
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i have a ebay HPS pipe when i bought the aem filter it was to big bit luckily i had a wider coupler lying around so i just cut it and it fit perfectly in the filter.
Old 09-15-2009
Registered!!

Short is the way to go.... In a long run
Old 09-15-2009
Registered!!

double post sry
Old 09-15-2009
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

i would get a sri that's what i got... i live about 45 mins away from Toronto... installation is easy anyone can do it
Old 09-17-2009
Registered!!

michaelross is an unknown quantity at this point

I prefer the cold air intake generally because of the sound it makes. It creates that deep air intake sound.. Well, that's just my opinion..

Last edited by michaelross; 09-21-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2009
Registered!!

trang_man is an unknown quantity at this point

Cause the weather here in Houston is always changing, I went ahead and got a Short Ram Intake. I like it because as people stated before its very easy to change the filter.
Old 09-18-2009
Registered!!

hindude will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by michaelross
I prefer the cold air intake generally because of the sound it makes. It creates that deep air intake sound.. Well, that's just my opinion..
You should hear my AEM V2 SRI. That thing's beast. And the nice thing is it's only a beast when you really want it to be. It's laid back (sound wise) when cruising.
Old 09-21-2009
Registered!!

seoul4korea can only hope to improve

I agree with green. What kind of weather do you get up there. You engine recieving Ambient air from out side will lower cylinder temps by up to 50 degrees. Why is this good? It helps fight knock combustion and gives you a higher "safe" zone for cylinder temps. Unless you plan on turbo charging you car, at which case I wouldn't even bother getting one. Now another option would be to get a short ram intake and then some how funneling air to your intake (or making an air boxing from out side air) which is better then the warm hot air inside of your engine bay.
Old 09-21-2009
Registered!!

Staninator is an unknown quantity at this point

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT BUY AN EBAY INTAKE... I made that mistake on my 01 ex coupe and it didn't fit right... I had to wait a whole week for the company to exchange it for an AEM short ram. Please do not buy cheap parts for your car. I'd do with short ram if I were you. You'll be happy and installation is easy and fun!
Old 09-24-2009
Registered!!

trubluciv will become famous soon enough

i got a aem cold air...i love it....it fits nice and it really looks good....i also like the way it sounds.....i was doing a lot of research on hydrolocking and about the aem bypass valve.....i actually bought the bypass valve two years ago....but i have never put it on....just becuase from the research that i did about the actual cold air intake.....

you have to hit hurricane katrina headon to get the hydroplane....just driving in rain wont hydrolock you....my two sense.....take it for what its worth.....
Old 10-03-2009
Registered!!

Okay im going to try to install it myself.. I got a no brand cold air intake and im planning on just changing the filter to branded.

Its a 2 part piping system, to make it shorter can i just use one since winter is coming up?

And any tips before i begin? Also can anyone link me for easy to follow instructions..

Last edited by saadd; 10-03-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-03-2009
Registered!!

Staninator is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol it's so much easier than you think dude! The intake you got is a two piece design meaning it can probably convert to short ram and cold air. If not then, it's a cold air and you will probably be putting the filter somewhere near the front bumper therefore needing to cut it and what not. Also since it's a no name....... I told you not to do that...... there's a chance it won't fit right and you will have to go through a lot of trouble to figure out what to do with it... Another thing is that cold air intake in the winter is a big no no! Why? Because slush and snow will accumulate onto the filter and you WILL go through puddles! I'm not trying to break your *****, but I just want to tell you the truth because I took the exact same route you did at first... Short ram is the way to go unless you live in cali or arizona. I live in Minnesota and I have an AEM short ram and it's a perfect fit in my engine bay. Let us know how it turns out!
Old 10-04-2009
Registered!!

there is a do it yourself here:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...g-aem-cai.html

but i remember doing it on my own as my very first car mod when i barely knew anything at all, and it was WAY easier than the diy meakes it sound. if you have a no name brand you shouldnt need to change the bracket mount or anything like it says.

1) disconnect your negative battery terminal.
2) remove your stock air boxes like you see in the diy. very very easy.
3) put the silicone coupling onto the throttle body and connect your new intake system. connect the o2 sensor into the side of the intake, connect the filter before you place the last pipe on and downward or you wont be able to reach in there.
4) connect your negative battery terminal again, go turn on the car without touching the gas or anything and leave it for 10-15 min. then shut it off again.
5) turn it on for a minute or so and back off again.

done.

now you can turn it on and rev it or go for a drive or whatever.

its very easy and dont let the diy confuse you because its not that complicated. i had never done it and it took me about 30 minutes in total.

have fun.
just remove the stock air boxes like you see until you have the opened throttlebody. the new intake should be completely straight forward to install.
Old 10-16-2009
Registered!!

Thanks for all the help guys, it turned out that i could convert it into a short-ram which i did. A lot easier then i thought, though got a little from a friend of mine. It sounds great, like the engine just came alive.

How frequently do i have to change the filter?
Old 10-16-2009
Registered!!

an intake filter should last easily 4 years if you take care of it properly. taking care of it depends on the type of filter you got. there are two different types. there is a gauze/mesh type filter that needs to be oiled, and theres a dryflow kind that does not use oil. here is a picture to each:

heres a gauze/mesh one, colours vary. the one i had was red. (the most common type of filter used): http://www.sparesworld.co.uk/acatalog/mpuaf9pop.jpg

heres a dryflow filter, colours may vary. the one i use is white. (only comes from aem): http://www.modernperformance.com/ima...flowfilter.JPG

which one do you have? im guessing if you bought an ebay intake you probably have the gauze/mesh one. gauze/mesh type filters should be cleaned every 90-180 days or 3-6 months. somewhere in that area. it only takes a few minutes to do so its worth it. keeps the dirt out of the engine, max air coming in, and saves the filter life.

to clean a gauze/mesh filter you need to get a 'k&n filter recharge kit'. they run about $10-12 at any local auto store. its a cleaning and oiling solution. if you have the dryflow filter or plan to get one, aem makes a special cleaning formula for that type of filter that you can find online that is also very easy to use to clean.
Old 10-19-2009
Registered!!

Ya I have a gauze/mesh one, red. So I guess in about a month or so I should grab one of those 'filter recharge kits'. Is it basically just oiling up the inside of the filter?
Old 10-20-2009
Registered!!

if your using the filter that came with it get rid of it and buy a AEM dry flow it requires no oil. you run the chance of over oiling the filter that can mess up sensors.
Old 10-20-2009
Registered!!

user_unlisted is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2002 EX Sedan Auto and I've been wanting to do this too. I had the same question on whether to go Short Ram or just a regular CAI. You guys have already answered that and I plan to go short ram since I live in Kansas City and we get a lot of rain/snow. My other question is about the fitment. Every ebay intake ive seen specifically says "manual transmission only" or "mt only". I unfortunately have an auto though and I'm wondering, does it really matter? It seems to me like there shouldnt be a difference for the intake between a 2002 1.7l vtec ex auto and the same model manual. The intake hole on the engine after you remove the resonator box should be the same size either way, correct?
Old 10-20-2009
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

^^ i think the piping takes a different path... i would buy a name brand like aem so u know that ur not gunna have fitment problems... my friend bought one of ebay and had fitment problems plus it was missing a peice
Old 10-21-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by user_unlisted
I have a 2002 EX Sedan Auto and I've been wanting to do this too. I had the same question on whether to go Short Ram or just a regular CAI. You guys have already answered that and I plan to go short ram since I live in Kansas City and we get a lot of rain/snow. My other question is about the fitment. Every ebay intake ive seen specifically says "manual transmission only" or "mt only". I unfortunately have an auto though and I'm wondering, does it really matter? It seems to me like there shouldnt be a difference for the intake between a 2002 1.7l vtec ex auto and the same model manual. The intake hole on the engine after you remove the resonator box should be the same size either way, correct?
you are correct. if youre going with a short ram, it is EXACTLY the same for an auto as it is for a standard. the throttle body opening is the exact same so ignore them saying 'for mt only'. even if the throttle body was a bit different, it wouldnt really matter because the intake pipe itself doesnt connect to it...the silicone coupling does with a clamp. i am about 99% positive its the exact same for an auto/standard for a cai as well (which wont even apply to you anyway since youre going with a sri).

as for ordering a sri and them missing a part. they would have to be complete morons to miss a part for it. theres the pipe, the filter, a little hose, and 1 coupling with 2 clamps. you should be safe.
Old 10-21-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by saadd
Ya I have a gauze/mesh one, red. So I guess in about a month or so I should grab one of those 'filter recharge kits'. Is it basically just oiling up the inside of the filter?
its extremely easy and instructions are included. there are only two bottles. the cleaner, and the oil.

you spray the cleaner all over the outside and inside of the filter then let it sit for only 10 minutes. run it under and rinse the inside with luke-warm water with regular tap pressure very thoroughly until all the cleaner is definitely off, and you will see how much crap comes off of it. i usually do this process twice. leave it overnight and it should be dry when you wake up.

the next day, when its dry, take the oil can and spray two light coats of oil on it (until it gets a light red tone) and let it sit for 20 minutes for the oil to settle before you install the filter again. its really that easy.

the amount of 'work' in total shouldnt take more than a combined 15 minutes.
Old 10-21-2009
Registered!!

and like lowlife is saying, you can upgrade to an aem dryflow filter as well, but cleaning it is a little bit different process. theyre more expensive and the cleaner also costs more but it could be worth it.

i remember reading a whole article on the comparison of an aem df filter compared to a leading gauze/mesh brand filter and the aem filtered something like 95% of crap compared to 92% of crap by the gauze/mesh. i used a gauze/mesh filter with no problems for 2.5 years until i bought my aem intake with df filter 2 months ago. no matter which filter you decide to stick with, the most important thing is to just make sure you clean it every few months.
Old 02-02-2010
Registered!!

flip_d2k is an unknown quantity at this point

Living in Vancouver, BC... and it rains quiet alot... Short or Long?
I got 01 Civic coupe with a stock engine. What should my first Mod be? Intake? what kind?
and what does intake do?
Old 02-02-2010
Registered!!

flip_d2k is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flip_d2k
Living in Vancouver, BC... and it rains quiet alot... Short or Long?
I got 01 Civic coupe with a stock engine. What should my first Mod be? Intake? what kind?
and what does intake do?
and how much would an intake modification approx cost?
Old 02-02-2010
Registered!!

eMVe is an unknown quantity at this point

flip: you can get an no-name ebay SRI for $10 + shipping and an AEM dryflow filter for $45-55 online or at a local parts store

Quick Reply: cold air or short ram