7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How ofter get A/C freeon recharge?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Protan988 is an unknown quantity at this point
How ofter get A/C freeon recharge?

Hey guys I have no idea and was just wondering how often you should do an A/C service? Its basically just a freeon recharge? I believe this is something you cant really DIY? Special equipement req'd? Anyways what do you guys think? Feel like my ac isnt blowing as cold as it could be.
Old 07-12-2009
Registered!!

lightningslp77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How ofter get A/C freeon recharge?

You can always re-charge your AC through a freeon kit sold at your local automotive store (autozone, pepboys, etc)...a good majority of them come with integrated gauges to tell you what the current level of pressure/freeon is in your car already...

If you recharge your AC through the freeon kit, and do not notice an improvement in your AC, use the gauge and see if its holding the charge or not.

If it isn't...thats when you go to the mechanics who put a special dye through your system and check where the dye comes out at inspecting your setup for leaks or possible reasons why it isn't holding up.

Also another improvement is changing out your air cabin filter located behind your glovebox...I changed mine out after a year and there were all kinds of crazy stuff stuck on the filter...bugs, leaves, etc...
Old 07-12-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

technically you should never need to charge it, unless it was low from the factory or you have a leak. there are very specific procedures to follow and materials to use, you cant just squirt in any garbage off the autozone shelf unless you really hate your car. freon is no longer sold, only r134a. if you have an older freon car, you either need to retrofit for the newer stuff or find somewhere that still has freon and pay them $$$. but if you have a leak, its just gonna be waste of time anyway. at least on newer hondas, you cant even use the stuff in the can because the system is already at hi pressure. honda uses a special machine to charge it.
Old 07-14-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Say I have a 2004 Civic could I take out the R134A and put in R12 refrigerent instead?
Old 07-14-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

not without alot of work. theyre not interchangeable, in fact the charge ports dont even match for you to hook up the freon can. r134a is prolly the worst refrigerant in terms of cooling. freon is better, envirosafe is the best and its much cleaner. only one guy i know on here converted the civic and hes a master mechanic.
Old 07-14-2009
Registered!!

ozzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
technically you should never need to charge it, unless it was low from the factory or you have a leak. there are very specific procedures to follow and materials to use, you cant just squirt in any garbage off the autozone shelf unless you really hate your car. freon is no longer sold, only r134a. if you have an older freon car, you either need to retrofit for the newer stuff or find somewhere that still has freon and pay them $$$. but if you have a leak, its just gonna be waste of time anyway. at least on newer hondas, you cant even use the stuff in the can because the system is already at hi pressure. honda uses a special machine to charge it.
I really don't wish to contradict, but after working in automotive HVAC systems (ASE certified) I've been told that there's no such thing as a "serviceless system" all AC systems need a good recharge over time. No car has a system that doesn't lose refrigerant over time. Since your car's already on an r134a system, I'll tell you that a recharge kit from a parts store will work. Just please use one that has a gauge so you know how much you got in there. But yeah, if that doesn't help, have a certified tech look at it, a "shade tree mechanic" is never good at things like this.
Old 07-15-2009
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

if your a/c isn't blowing cold air anymore then it needs a recharge
Old 07-15-2009
Premium Member

our 92 accord and 92 miata have never been charged, neither has my 02 civic except once when it was brand new because they said it was a tad low when they received the car shipment for inspection. all cars still blow very cold air and have no issues. i think the 92s still use freon but im not sure.
Old 07-15-2009
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

usually you don't need to recharge it unless you get low for whatever reason most likely cuz of stones or whatever flying up and hitting your condenser
Old 07-18-2009
Registered!!

nick3501 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where is the low side pressure port on an 02 1.7? I have recharged a few cars before and the instructions on the kit always says connect to the low side line (which is usually the fatter of the two a/c lines) but the connector only looks like it will fit on the smaller line up near the drivers shock tower. I wouldn't want to put a can of this stuff on the high side line and have it blow my hand off! Is this the right line?
Old 07-18-2009
Premium Member

it should have L and H written on the caps. lo is near the header.