7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

HELP!!!! Car is over heating after thermostat change

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HELP!!!! Car is over heating after thermostat change

thats the torque from the manual. i tightened mine quite a bit more when i was having gasket issues, prolly at least 20 if not more over. these are big bolts all metal to metal they wont break. just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, these are the 10 HEAD BOLTS which can only be tightened after the valve cover is removed. they are NOT the valve cover bolts which are only tightened maybe 10 ft/lbs. tightening the valve cover bolts will have no effect on the head gasket, which is between the head and block, not the valve cover and head.
Old 10-23-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mclean987 is an unknown quantity at this point

yes i know what head bolts are i was just asking if tightening them that much will damaged block when im ready to remove head and machine it and put it back will block be fine? did tightening yours help?
Old 10-23-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah it helped a bit and i lost less coolant, but its really something you wanna take care of asap. i had to have the head milled and cleaned, but block was fine. its really hard to damage the block. usually only the head will warp from overheating. and thats easily fixed at a machine shop. ofcourse when you do change the headgasket, assuming thats the problem, then you need to have new head bolts and all new gaskets.
Old 10-26-2009
Registered!!

mclean987 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok thanks so torqueing down the head another 20 lbs wont damaged block right
Old 10-26-2009
Premium Member

no it shouldnt. i went like that for about a month before getting the gasket replaced. but do 60 first, see how it feels. if its really tight and not going anymore, then leave it. if it feels like you can tighten some more, go to 70. be sure engine is completely cold.
Old 08-12-2014
Registered!!

angelnavila is an unknown quantity at this point

My Honda civic its overheating too. i just change the radiator, thermostat and fan switch. and when drive more then 30 minutes as soon i go for stop, the gauge start to go up, start over heating, noticed that the fans doesn't start, when the car its overheating, i turn air conditioning the fans work both lowering the temp to normal,,even some time when im on the street driving, the car temp and fans are normal, the fans kick in at right time. it happens only when a drive more then 20 or 30 minutes
i tried the fans direct to the battery and the car never over heat. but i want to have the car normal. as it should be. any clues or help will be good. btw, thermostat and fan switch are from the dealer.
One more question. if the car its overheating, the fans must to be on all the time, or the don't have to be, what i try to understand its if the car temp its higher then normal. the fans should be on all the time right or wrong.?
this its a motor from japan i replaced the old one because i blow the head gaskets. but since then this its the behavior , going on. as i said, if the fans are connected to the battery. it won't overheat regardless the drive time.

Last edited by angelnavila; 08-12-2014 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-14-2014
Registered!!

tallal565 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by angelnavila
My Honda civic its overheating too. i just change the radiator, thermostat and fan switch. and when drive more then 30 minutes as soon i go for stop, the gauge start to go up, start over heating, noticed that the fans doesn't start, when the car its overheating, i turn air conditioning the fans work both lowering the temp to normal,,even some time when im on the street driving, the car temp and fans are normal, the fans kick in at right time. it happens only when a drive more then 20 or 30 minutes
i tried the fans direct to the battery and the car never over heat. but i want to have the car normal. as it should be. any clues or help will be good. btw, thermostat and fan switch are from the dealer.
One more question. if the car its overheating, the fans must to be on all the time, or the don't have to be, what i try to understand its if the car temp its higher then normal. the fans should be on all the time right or wrong.?
this its a motor from japan i replaced the old one because i blow the head gaskets. but since then this its the behavior , going on. as i said, if the fans are connected to the battery. it won't overheat regardless the drive time.
it could be a blown head gasket. my fans didn't turn on when it was overheating. i was losing coolant in my radiator meaning i couldn't see it when the car was off. eventually it spilled out of the white reservoir because of the pressure. i changed my thermostat, new coolant and that didn't do anything.

i had my gasket replaced 2500 miles ago and hasn't overheated and coolant is perfectly normal. it cost $1600 to fix but worth it.
Old 08-31-2014
Registered!!

Dozen970 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all. I'm replying to this post because I have the same issue. Over the past 2 months I have had problems with my 05 civic ex. It started one day when I saw the temp needle starting to rise above 50% and continued to rise. At that point I did not hear the fans come on. I spoke to a mechanic friend and he said I should replace the thermostat, which I did. Just a few days after that after driving on the highway and getting off in town it started to rise so I pulled over.
I then replaced the coolant fan switch, and checked the relay fan which seemed to work. It has been so inconsistent at doing it I'm at a loss. A few weeks ago if I had the heat on on the way to work in the morning it would start to climb as I went up a small hill. So I would pull over. Other times I would go a short distance around town and once it warmed up it would start to climb, and I would not hear the fan come on. Recently with the ac on and doing the same trip to work it hasn't done it in some time, but would do in town. Also when I start the car in the am the heat does not work until I'm on the highway, and seems that there is a lot of moisture on the lower part of my windshield
Have you found the fix? If so can you fill me in
Old 06-22-2015
Registered!!

cwatson427 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dozen970
Hello all. I'm replying to this post because I have the same issue. Over the past 2 months I have had problems with my 05 civic ex. It started one day when I saw the temp needle starting to rise above 50% and continued to rise. At that point I did not hear the fans come on. I spoke to a mechanic friend and he said I should replace the thermostat, which I did. Just a few days after that after driving on the highway and getting off in town it started to rise so I pulled over.
I then replaced the coolant fan switch, and checked the relay fan which seemed to work. It has been so inconsistent at doing it I'm at a loss. A few weeks ago if I had the heat on on the way to work in the morning it would start to climb as I went up a small hill. So I would pull over. Other times I would go a short distance around town and once it warmed up it would start to climb, and I would not hear the fan come on. Recently with the ac on and doing the same trip to work it hasn't done it in some time, but would do in town. Also when I start the car in the am the heat does not work until I'm on the highway, and seems that there is a lot of moisture on the lower part of my windshield
Have you found the fix? If so can you fill me in
Hey did you end up finding out what the problem is? I have the exact same symptoms and I'm at a loss on what to do. I've replaced water pump, ect sensor, coolant fan sensor and thermostat. If you ended up fixing yours if you could let me know would be a huge help. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by angelnavila
Hey buddy I'm having the same exact problem and changed out same parts as you. I'm at my wits end. Did you end up finding what was wrong? If you did and could let me know any info would be a huge help. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alex_nyc is an unknown quantity at this point

you must get the air out. jack front up and bleed air out
Old 06-25-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by alex_nyc
you must get the air out. jack front up and bleed air out
How To Bleed A Cooling System - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube
Hey Alex that's for your help. I was thinking it was that a month ago so I tried bleeding it but might not of did it correctly. Someone told me that all I had to do to bleed my 01 civic was remove the cap let it run for about a hour with the cap off and keep it topped off as it runs and that should run all the bubbles out. Do you think that was proper way to do it? I'm thinking it's gotta be air trapped in it cause the overheat problems are so sporatic. 2 days ago I was driving for 30 min then I hit traffic and it started overheating then dropped back down then started to rise again and then dropped and was fine on my way home but then after about 40 miles when I was close to home it started to rise again. Then I took it out for a drive last nite (about 15miles) and stayed nice and cool. Do you think it's air and that I didn't bleed properly? Any help from you guys is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old 06-26-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by cwatson427
Hey Alex that's for your help. I was thinking it was that a month ago so I tried bleeding it but might not of did it correctly. Someone told me that all I had to do to bleed my 01 civic was remove the cap let it run for about a hour with the cap off and keep it topped off as it runs and that should run all the bubbles out. Do you think that was proper way to do it? I'm thinking it's gotta be air trapped in it cause the overheat problems are so sporatic. 2 days ago I was driving for 30 min then I hit traffic and it started overheating then dropped back down then started to rise again and then dropped and was fine on my way home but then after about 40 miles when I was close to home it started to rise again. Then I took it out for a drive last nite (about 15miles) and stayed nice and cool. Do you think it's air and that I didn't bleed properly? Any help from you guys is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
thanks. but im not the expert here! I always jack up the front and let it bleed. If youre overheating for no reason, you need to decide if its time for the inevitable head gasket change. Thats the week spot on this engine.
Get it done right and you wont overheat again!

** I heard there was a TSB (Peoples Court) about a leak in the heater core causing the engine to overheat even after a head gasket replacement.

keep asking question and or read the other posts about overheating. Tis the season for overheated engines & head gaskets!!

Good Luck!
Old 06-26-2015
Registered!!

I did my head gasket last summer, lol. But could it be the head gasket if it only overheats at certain points but runs fine alot of the time? If the new head gasket failed wouldn't it overheat all the time? That's the part that I don't get, how can it run cool and fine most of the time but then outta no where just starts to heat up. Thanks to you and anybody else who can help.
Old 06-27-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by cwatson427
I did my head gasket last summer, lol. But could it be the head gasket if it only overheats at certain points but runs fine alot of the time? If the new head gasket failed wouldn't it overheat all the time? That's the part that I don't get, how can it run cool and fine most of the time but then outta no where just starts to heat up. Thanks to you and anybody else who can help.
Did you read this thread yet: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html

*the quality of work done & Quality of parts means a lot! Was your head sent to a machine shop to check if its straight? Is the block straight?

**If you overheated it once, the gasket could be bad again!

again, Im not the exert here!
Old 08-30-2015
Registered!!

Johnnyb is an unknown quantity at this point

01 civic ex....Think I have a leak from the water pipe what is the correct name for it? Water inlet pipe? I'm pretty sure it's the o ring which the pipe meets the coolant passage..just pressed fitted in no bolts or anything? Anyone out here know what I mean and possible help