7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2001 Civic coup burning oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
phil6006 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2001 Civic coup burning oil?

Originally Posted by gearbox
thats fine but 0w20 is a bit thin for a regular civic imo, even a hybrid. and the gas mileage increase is almost non-existant. im hoping that it will at least provide better heat protection being that it is a real synthetic.
I'm actually having a problem with the VTEC throwing the P1259 code. I'm due for an oil change soon, and from some more research I'm gonna change to 5w30 Amsoil, and check out the VTEC solenoid and hopefully fix it.
Old 10-08-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RSKtakR is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2001 Civic coup burning oil?

So I have been reading through these forums and thought I would register to post in this thread. I have a 01 civic EX coupe with 214k, manual trans that I just bought. Bone stock, never raced or beat on and was owned by a guy in his 40's, he bought the car from a dealership about 6mos prior to selling it to me. Car had the timing belt and water pump swapped 3k miles ago, along with getting the head reworked due to the timing belt failure that ruined some valves apparently. I have all the receipts and documentation for all parts replaced and labor. I have put new spark plugs in it, cleaned the EGR, cleaned the PCV valve, there are ZERO leaks on this motor, NOTHING from the drain plug, or ANYWHERE else on the motor. The compression ranges from 160-185psi across all four cylinders, the car doesn't smoke, it is driven 100 miles a day with 3k-3500 rpm being about the highest rpm it sees probably (my wife drives the car). On the service records it keeps mentioning that there is oil consumption and next to nothing showing on the dipstick often. Oil being used was a synthetic blend 5w-20. Car is currently getting 34.3 mpg's on only hwy but its lots of hills with the AC on at times I'm sure, and not really a flat commute at all. I pulled the new plugs last night that I have just replaced that have probably 1000 miles on them and they look good, no oil or anything. and the car doesn't smoke whatsoever. So my problem is that this engine DRINKS oil like its going out of style!! I haven't changed the oil yet because it wasn't due for it just yet, but I keep having to put in about 1 qt every 200 miles.. yes that says TWO HUNDRED miles.. I am putting a fully synthetic 5w-20 oil in, and after reading this thread I have decided to just change the oil all together and start with the Pennzoil max life 5w-30 high mileage blend (or a conventional) and a good filter (based on what I have read in this thread). I would like to try adding the oil additive as well. my questions are:

-What additive has been used that ACTUALLY worked and is still working? Does it need to be added more than just once?

-Do I put the additive in with the current oil BEFORE I change the oil with the new max life oil? I have always heard bad things about those additives and I have never run them.

-Lastly to the OP, what was your outcome with your change to the 5w30 max life and the additive? Did the oil consumption stop?