7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

01 Civic EX will not start

Old 05-02-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cs822 is an unknown quantity at this point
01 Civic EX will not start

Hi,
(Hope I got the right forum). My 01 EX will turn over but will not start. It seems as if it is getting no gas. I think this because it did fire twice out of about of 7-8 tries but shut off within about a second. The car has about 150k and has never had a problem until today.
Please help.
thx
Old 05-02-2008
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 01 Civic EX will not start

Yuck, anyone help this guy out?

Is the green immobilizer blinking?

You're sure you got gas?

Do you smell gas?

Turn the key to on, but don't start, do you hear the fuel pump?

Check plugs

What's the sensor that fails all the damn time guys? O2?
Old 05-02-2008
Registered!!

Yeah, I think the fuel pump is running. When I turn the ignition on, I hear a click from a relay or something behind the glove box. After about 2 seconds it will click again. In between the 2 clicks I can hear a faint noise coming from the fuel tank. Also, I don't know what it means, but there was a lot of pressure in the fuel cell just now when I took the cap off.

I don't get any kind of error such as blinking lights. I don't get an immobilizer light. I also don't smell gas and the indicator shows about 1/2 tank.

I had the plugs and the timing belt replaced at about 100k.

Any more ideas?
thx
Old 05-02-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

dead battery?
Old 05-02-2008
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

haha, nice gearbox, thats funny as hell
Old 05-02-2008
Registered!!

ONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura aboutONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura about

Yeah...I'd check the battery. DISCLAIMER: DON'T DO THISTo check the battery all you need is two metal clothes hangers. Take one and shove it into the black terminal connection of the battery (make sure to scrape back and forth a few times to ensure a good connection). Take the other side of that hanger and secure it to the frame (use a quick tie and a metal file to secure the hanger to bare metal). Take the second hanger and shove one end into the positive terminal conection. After that use the other end to just touch things with. If you begin to weld you're an idiot.
Old 05-02-2008
Registered!!

1 7th, I was reading somewhere about how to get the fuel pump out. I'll pay you $100 bucks to try your coat hanger method inside the fuel tank opening when I get the pump out. Oh what the heck, if you can weld a bead down inside the fuel tank, I'll give you $1000.

Seriously peeps....
Old 05-03-2008
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

do u have a check engine light on? or does it turn on while cranking? i'd check the codes first. that should lead in the right direction.

also could u have water in the gas?

or your fuel filter could be cloged.
Old 05-03-2008
Registered!!

ONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura aboutONE7thREBUILT has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cs822
1 7th, I was reading somewhere about how to get the fuel pump out. I'll pay you $100 bucks to try your coat hanger method inside the fuel tank opening when I get the pump out. Oh what the heck, if you can weld a bead down inside the fuel tank, I'll give you $1000.

Seriously peeps....
You've got yourself a deal.
Old 05-03-2008
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

well if your engine cranks and your fuel pump pumps, i dont think your batteries dead. i dont think your getting ignition. have you changed your spark plugs recently?
Old 05-03-2008
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

also....maybe bleed your fuel lines? if no fluid comes out, then you know their clogged. then go upgrade em to stainless steel ones!
Old 05-04-2008
Registered!!

It just started. I went out to check a couple of things and decided to try it again. It started right up and is running as smooth as it ever did.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
thx
Old 05-05-2008
Registered!!

Angry Re: 01 Civic EX will not start

Sadly, it has died again. After a couple of short trips yesterday, my wife got in it today and it died about 200 feet down the road. I came and tried to start it but it died again within a second. 6 hours later I tried it again and it ran for about 5 seconds and again died. No sputtering or misfiring it just acts like you switched it off.

So once again I'm back at the point of it starting and shutting off after about a second.

Someone help, please....
thx
Old 05-05-2008
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

all this time i thought it was a fuel delivery problem.

reoplace the crank and/or cam sensors. there the ony ones that the ECU cant replicate and it relises on them for timing. no sensor - no fuel delevery. and when they go bad they do just as u describe. when it works it works grea then dies randomly.
Old 05-05-2008
Registered!!

Thank you DieMaster! That is the best advice I've heard. So, are these sensors something that I could do myself given a couple hours of time? Or should I (maybe) drive, pull, limp it down to the shop for the mechs to do the job?

thanks again
Old 05-05-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if i remember, they are hard to get to. its almost like doing a timing belt service cause they are located near the crank. also some of the 01 civics had idle issues and needed a computer ecu reflash from the dealer.
Old 08-28-2010
Registered!!

SUSLIK33 is an unknown quantity at this point

It could be the timing belt itself.. Either skipped one teeth or just got expanded..
Old 08-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Try changing the fuel filter if you never have. It is something that is often overlooked and who knows that might be it. Plus you can take a fuel line off and turn the engine over for just a second and see of it is pumping fuel. Then check the coil to see if it is putting out good spark. By taking the wire off and putting it up against the frame or something that will ground it (make sure you hold it with something insulated so you don't electricute yourself) and turn over the engine, if you see a strong spark (arc) then it is good. Of corse keep your eyes open for loose wires and deteriorating rubber. A good inspection for the obvious always a good first step. Hope that helps!