7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

DIY: Driver Seat Rock

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY: Driver Seat Rock

ive tried the fix with new everything, a couple weeks later it became just as bad as before. its just a poor design. and actually most racing seats sit much lower than stock (the lowest stock adjustment), thats why alot of autocross guys get em so that they can sit inside with their helmets on without hitting the roof. in fact if i do go the racing seat route, i will put some metal spacers between the seat and bracket to raise the seat up. i had corbeau a4 before and really liked em, but they were in an accident and had adjuster problems that couldnt be fixed so i went back to stock. but i think im gonna get another one. they sit way low, but with some thick metal washer spacers i can lift it a bit. only other problem i remember is i had to keep the seat back fully straight to be able to reach the wheel, and the slider was almost completely forward as far as it would go. i was able to drive just fine, im 5'8" and 165 lbs with a 34 waist, but there wasnt much play if a smaller person wanted to drive. also with a much simpler metal bracket (no cushion padding) and sitting practically on the car frame, you feel alot more vibrations going over bumps. and i wouldnt be able to get a passenger race seat without taking out my amp that is now sitting under the stock seat with tons of room to spare.
Old 12-07-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLH2991 is an unknown quantity at this point

The bearings are aluminum, though, right?

If that's the case, a part machined out of steel or brass should hold up better.
Old 12-07-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i believe they are aluminum and pretty easy to bend. post up if you find something that works, im tired of taking that stupid thing apart lol.
Old 01-18-2010
Premium Member

bump because i would really like to fix this without replacing the seat. new bushings did not work, in fact the old bushings were still fine. i can tighten everything up and reseat the parts, but it only lasts for about a day or two.
Old 01-21-2010
Registered!!

CLH2991 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I can't give much of an update. New semester, and these classes are keeping me too busy to do anything else.
Old 02-24-2010
Registered!!

abchilln is an unknown quantity at this point

BUMP

I just purchased a 2004 Civic LX, and am experiencing the rocking seat problem. The dealer wouldn't replace it, due to it being a non-safety issue.

Has anyone replaced the bushings, and had success in terms of it not coming back? I haven't had the time to take a look at what I'm dealing with here, but hopefully someone has come up with an alternative solution. Seems like a waste to spend $50, only for it to come back within a few weeks.
Old 02-24-2010
Premium Member

wow with an LX?? your seat doesnt even have height adjustment im surprised its rocking too. i guess every model got screwed.
Old 02-24-2010
Registered!!

abchilln is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally a newb to this car, but are you referring to the round adjustable **** on the left side of the driver's seat. I'll have to double check to make sure it's an LX, but I'm most certain it's not an EX. Anyway for me to tell if it is an EX?
Old 03-03-2010
Registered!!

tlm387 is an unknown quantity at this point

My seat has been rocking for about 50,000 miles now, I finally got fed up with it Just got my parts in $38.00 bucks for the whole deal (spacers, bushings, and nuts). Not sure why I needed to replace the nuts but whatever. I figured it was a good deal, I put everything in tonight and the rocking is gone. Most of my bushing were absolutely smashed and ripped up.

I feel like Honda should own up to this issue. The dealership offered to charge me about 200 to have it fixed. What a rip off, especially because this is obviously a manufactures defect.

Great diy and pics...they were very helpful.
Old 03-16-2010
Registered!!

AZSooner is an unknown quantity at this point

Where did you get the parts for that price? I have a 2003 EX that is rocking away.
Old 05-14-2010
Registered!!

HansyPants is an unknown quantity at this point

A-ha! Finally an answer to my rocking seat! It's been rocking away since the day I got it and it has always felt unsafe. Now to just fix my seatbelt. It comes undone on it's own every now and again
Old 05-14-2010
Premium Member

seatbelt fix is free at the dealer for life the buckle has problems sometimes staying locked.
Old 05-17-2010
Registered!!

HansyPants is an unknown quantity at this point

You just made my day Gearbox! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-31-2010
Registered!!

ZeroAlligator is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did the full replacement per the DIY for my rocking seat on my 04 EX. I'll post again if the fix doesn't last... for now no more rocking :-) the spacers were all ripped up on the rear bolts, the front bolts were fine but I replaced them just to be on the safe side.

-Mark
Old 10-10-2011
Registered!!

amnash is an unknown quantity at this point

digging up an old thread here.. but is it possible to just take the bushings out and leave them out? and just torque it all down with some locktite?

or a makeshift/cheap way to install a metal bushing or filler.

this whole system seems just stupid. and ive read some people have replaced these bushing to spec and the issue has come back.

must be able to fit a certain size metal washer or SOMETHING.
Old 10-11-2011
Premium Member

NO removing bushings lol. the chair will rock about 3 inches back and forth if you do that. only way is to have the height adjustment welded after you move the seat to your preferred height. i had mine apart all day and couldnt figure a fix. you need specific bushing shape that is impossible to find in a stronger version.
Old 05-27-2014
Registered!!

LateOnTheBrakes is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there a better version of the service bulletin than the 01-057 dated February 22, 2005? I have an '02 that I would like to attempt the repair (with custom machined metal bushings) but I can't make out which washers need to go back in place. Steps 8-10 talk about removing and replacing spacers but the diagram says nothing about spacers, but calls one a "thin washer" and the other a "0.030" thick washer).

On the inboard side I don't know if I'm supposed to have a "spacer" between the seat frame and bushing or now. I'm assuming this was translated from Japanese because it is inconsistent and ambiguous as hell.
Old 06-01-2014
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

April 2002 Export Service Bulletin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
x01-057e.pdf (252.1 KB, 211 views)